Indiana Jones Adventures Volume 1

DIrishB

yodazone said:
Indiana Jones Adventures Vol. 1 ranked #15 in the Top 100 Graphic Novels chart for June!

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/080721-diamond-june-sales.html

The Indiana Jones Omnibus Vol. 2 also ranked #21:

#15 - INDIANA JONES ADVENTURES TP VOL 01 $6.95 DAR
#21 - INDIANA JONES OMNIBUS TP VOL 02 $24.95 DAR

(y)

Thats great news!! After all, money talks. So with strong showings like those on the charts, Dark Horse will be more likely to print more new Indy tales. Wonder how Tomb of the Gods fared on the single issues sales charts?

yodazone

DIrishB said:
Thats great news!! After all, money talks. So with strong showings like those on the charts, Dark Horse will be more likely to print more new Indy tales. Wonder how Tomb of the Gods fared on the single issues sales charts?

Here's more of a breakdown with "estimated units" sold for the 2 Indy books:

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/12930.html

There were 25 Dark Horse books that made it into the "Top 100 Graphic Novel" charts for June and the Indiana Jones Adventures/Indiana Jones Omnibus Vol. #2 books ranked as Dark Horse's 3rd & 5th best sellers!

:D

The "Tomb of the Gods #1" sales figures should be available next month!

(y)

tthh.gif

Last edited:

DIrishB

yodazone said:
Here's more of a breakdown with "estimated units" sold for the 2 Indy books:

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/12930.html

There were 25 Dark Horse books that made it into the "Top 100 Graphic Novel" charts for June and the Indiana Jones Adventures/Indiana Jones Omnibus Vol. #2 books ranked as Dark Horse's 3rd & 5th best sellers!

:D

The "Tomb of the Gods #1" sales figures should be available next month!

(y)

Very good news for Indy comic fans (and Indy fans in general).

Its a sure sign I've been rick-rolled one time too many when I immediately recognized the original video under the devil head.

I prefer this version over the original, mainly because of its lack of that terrible, terrible song. And the devil horns.

yodazone

Over at the Dark Horse forums, I asked about the next "Indiana Jones Adventures Vol. 2" and here's what letterer Mike Heisler (Indy Adventures & "Tomb of the Gods") wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
No Indy Adventures underway at the moment. My understanding is that there will be more, but it's apparently not on the fixed schedule that Clone Wars Adventures was. I'm sure that can be changed if fans become properly hysterical.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think they want to hear that fans want more of this title!

Join the Dark Horse forums and let them know you want more Indy Adventures!

http://www.darkhorse.com/Help/Boards/viewforum.php?f=1

(y)

RONDC20

I just read it and I loved it. It was soooo Indy. We got Belloq and Marcus Brody and Nazis.

This got me so excited about the possible prospect on an Indiana Jones Animated tv series. These designs are perfect for an animated series. I soooo want to see a cartoon series like this.

What I really loved about the comic was that sure it was kidfreindly, but not at the expense of what makes Indiana Jones great. That barely PG-13 style content that we all love. I mean we got Nazis and they wore Swastikas and everything.

Indy got his but kicked and there was blood. Not to mention what happened to that poor Nazi youth troop. It was great.

I was particularly impressed by the design of Belloq, I mean he looked exactally like Paul Freeman in animated form.

I hope to see other familiar characters in future volumes like Sallah, Short Round, Henry Jones Senior and Marrion even Willie Scott.

Lets hope and pray they turn this into an animated series.

BTW what title would you pick for the title of the cartoon series?

Here are some possible ideas.

"Indiana Jones Adventures"

"The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones"

"The Adventures of Indiana Jones"

"Indiana Jones: The Animated Series"

What do you guys think?

I could already see the series opening credit sequence accompanied by the Raider's March. Something perhaps with the classic Red line across the map theme with footage of the animation superimposed on it. Just imagine it folks. Ohhhh it gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

BTW I created a thread for the specific purpose of letting Dark Horse know we want more of these. here is the link http://www.darkhorse.com/Help/Boards/viewtopic.php?t=13988

Last edited:

jason10mm

Finally got a copy off amazon. Seems like all my local shops sold out almost immediately. Either they under-ordered or this puppy was severely underprinted!

Anyway, I enjoyed it immensly, a lot more than I though. The art style quickly grew on me. There were some parts that felt a bit rushed (like how exactly the British chick evaded the guy with the pistol and was able to keep the ring) and why exactly Belloq went to Africa to sell the scroll to the Germans (was he working for them all along, or just an opportunist on the open market?). Not to mention handing off the scoll on the plane was a bit too conveinent.

I did like the temple and how well everything held together even without an all-powerful MacGuffin (hard to believe Belloq didn't at least write down the beserker formula though!).

I'd be very interested in additional adventures from this team.

DIrishB

jason10mm said:
Finally got a copy off amazon. Seems like all my local shops sold out almost immediately. Either they under-ordered or this puppy was severely underprinted!

Anyway, I enjoyed it immensly, a lot more than I though. The art style quickly grew on me. There were some parts that felt a bit rushed (like how exactly the British chick evaded the guy with the pistol and was able to keep the ring) and why exactly Belloq went to Africa to sell the scroll to the Germans (was he working for them all along, or just an opportunist on the open market?). Not to mention handing off the scoll on the plane was a bit too conveinent.

I did like the temple and how well everything held together even without an all-powerful MacGuffin (hard to believe Belloq didn't at least write down the beserker formula though!).

I'd be very interested in additional adventures from this team.

Really nice review. It prompted me to go back and re-read it since I missed a few things you mentioned (or forgot...I read a lot of comics and its been several weeks ;) ).

As for more of these, I'm thinking we'll get more volumes in the future. The sales were pretty impressive, and all reviews online I've found (fan reviews or comic site reviews) have been overwhelmingly positive (much like they were for Tomb of the Gods).

A fifth Indy film might not happen, but I can guarantee Dark Horse is paying attention and will probably continue the franchise in comics (and more of these digest comics!) for the forseeable future.

jason10mm

I've re-read it a few times to answer my own questions :p

Sounds like the man with the gun was Belloq or one of his henchmen, not Forestall like I had originally assumed. She deflected him by saying the scrolls were more important, which I still think is a bit weak as Belloq would have taken the ring and just waited for Indy to come out.

I can only assume Belloq got the scroll, read the contents, and then put it on the black market. The Nazis bid first/highest, but the "Swedish" gentlemen the chick met on the plane must have been in town to bid on it as well.

Anyway, good story and one that shows Indy can work without a powerful MacGuffin (which seems to be Lucas' big hang-up).

DIrishB

RONDC20 said:
I just read it and I loved it. It was soooo Indy. We got Belloq and Marcus Brody and Nazis.

This got me so excited about the possible prospect on an Indiana Jones Animated tv series. These designs are perfect for an animated series. I soooo want to see a cartoon series like this.

What I really loved about the comic was that sure it was kidfreindly, but not at the expense of what makes Indiana Jones great. That barely PG-13 style content that we all love. I mean we got Nazis and they wore Swastikas and everything.

Indy got his but kicked and there was blood. Not to mention what happened to that poor Nazi youth troop. It was great.

I was particularly impressed by the design of Belloq, I mean he looked exactally like Paul Freeman in animated form.

I hope to see other familiar characters in future volumes like Sallah, Short Round, Henry Jones Senior and Marrion even Willie Scott.

Lets hope and pray they turn this into an animated series.

BTW what title would you pick for the title of the cartoon series?

Here are some possible ideas.

"Indiana Jones Adventures"

"The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones"

"The Adventures of Indiana Jones"

"Indiana Jones: The Animated Series"

What do you guys think?

I could already see the series opening credit sequence accompanied by the Raider's March. Something perhaps with the classic Red line across the map theme with footage of the animation superimposed on it. Just imagine it folks. Ohhhh it gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

BTW I created a thread for the specific purpose of letting Dark Horse know we want more of these. here is the link http://www.darkhorse.com/Help/Boards/viewtopic.php?t=13988

Agreed. Check out this thread Indy Animated for talk on an animated Indy series.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Quite good. Though I thought Indy met Belloq in the Dinosaur Eggs novel, October 1933?
Is the shadow on page 4 from Belloq or the Swedish fellow?
I hope they contine with the scroll Macguffin and it's other secrets in volume 2, and give this adventure a proper name.
I wouldn't mind seeing existing tales adapted, like McCoy's crystal skull story arc spun into a couple of volumes.

DIrishB

Moedred said:
Quite good. Though I thought Indy met Belloq in the Dinosaur Eggs novel, October 1933?

Yep. But then again, Indy was supposed to meet Belloq for the first time in the early 1920's in plans for unproduced Young Indiana Jones Chronicles episodes as well. Just another case of different authors in different mediums and no attention being paid to the franchise by a central continuity editor (like is done with Star Wars). Its possible to explain away, I suppose.

Is the shadow on page 4 from Belloq or the Swedish fellow?

I think its Belloq.

I hope they contine with the scroll Macguffin and it's other secrets in volume 2, and give this adventure a proper name.

Agreed.

I wouldn't mind seeing existing tales adapted, like McCoy's crystal skull story arc spun into a couple of volumes.

That would be great! Though I'd honestly prefer original stories...so far Dark Horse seems to be hitting bullseye with their Indy related releases: Tomb of the Gods, IJ Adventures, and the Omnibus' have all done very well. The only real exception is the KotCS comic adaptation, but thats more than forgiveable in my eyes considering how please I am with their Indy releases. Anyway, I really would like to see future original Indy stories by the authors of ToG and Adventures.

yodazone

Does anyone have a pic of the "Titan" edition of this book?

Or the size dimensions?

I heard the "Titan" versions are larger than the small digest versions released in the U.S.....

If it's a bigger edition, I'll hunt for a copy. :whip:

DIrishB

yodazone said:
Does anyone have a pic of the "Titan" edition of this book?

Or the size dimensions?

I heard the "Titan" versions are larger than the small digest versions released in the U.S.....

If it's a bigger edition, I'll hunt for a copy. :whip:

Thats interesting, this is the first I'm hearing about them.

yodazone

Stoo said:

I mean the regular release of "Indiana Jones Adventures Vol. 1" from Titan in the UK. Like this new "Star Wars Adventures" from Titan posted here for example looks a bit bigger in size than the digests released in the U.S. from Dark Horse:

http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?...wAdventuresUK.jpg&text=Star Wars Adventures 1

Wondering if "Indy Volume 1" was released in this bigger format like that one....

or if it's my computer screen making that pic look bigger....

:confused::confused:

Last edited:

Stoo

Hey, yoda, I realize that you meant "Adventures Vol. 1" but the issues of Titan's "Official IJ Comic" are indeed larger than the standard comic size so perhaps whatever you "heard" was simply a misunderstanding? I'm not aware of any larger edition of "Adventures".

Lance Quazar

Well, I'm really late to the party, but I loved the hell out of this little book!

A fast-paced, clever little tale with some smart writing and sharp characterizations.

Yes, I loved this much more than both "Tomb of the Gods" and "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull."

Only a few minor quibbles -

Yes, I hard trouble swallowing that Belloq would have let Theresa keep the ring.

It was weird to hear Marcus being so critical of Britain since he's friggin' British himself.

I'm not sure I'm entirely crazy about Belloq's long history with the Nazis, as established here. In Raiders, he clearly has distaste for them and tells Marion he's just using them for his own ends. While this story doesn't make Belloq out into a card-carrying party member, I had a little trouble buying into his admiration for the Nazis, no matter how powerful they are.

The rest, however, is great. I LOVED Dr. Theresa Lawrence, she was a suitably smart and sassy foil for Indy, they really seemed to have great chemistry and I liked the complexity of their relationship, going between uneasy allies to rivals and back again.

I really loved the use of the Norse mythology backdrop. The locations were great - snowy temple in Sweden, British Museum, exotic Morocco.

Great characterizations with old favorites like Marcus and Belloq. Aside from the above quibbles, they were used perfectly and I could hear their voices in my head beautifully.

Very nice tie-ins to current events with references to the Depression and the rise of the Nazis in Germany.

And I really liked this glimpse of the younger, even more brash Indy. It felt like a very realistic peek at what Indy would be like at that stage in his life.

Overall, this was a terrifically entertaining book. Yes, it definitely felt like an episode of an Indy "animated series", but a very sophisticated animated series in the vein of "Batman: TAS", but with an appropriately lighter tone.

Kudos to the team who worked on this! I guess I'll have to track down Volume II now.