"Lost Journal.." or "Ultimate Guide": which is more "official"?

OldIndy2323

"Lost Journal.." or "Ultimate Guide": which is more "official"?

A question needing some consensus: Which dates and/or events are more "official", those in the "Lost Journal" or those in the "Ultimate Guide"? There is a bit of discrepancy. For example, the death of Indy's mom is given as May 16th 1912 in the "Ultimate Guide" but is listed as March 3rd 1912 in the "Lost Journal". A similar problem occurs with the dates of Indy's first love affair with Marion. Is the "official" date in 1925 or 1926? Any ideas?

Junior Jones

Good question.

I got a copy of each this weekend, but I haven't gone through them thoroughly for fear of spoilers. But it's something I'll definitely be looking into in the near future. I'll let you know when I form an opinion.

Adamwankenobi

I don't know, but I trust Luceno, because his past with Star Wars has shown that he is THE MAN when it comes to obscure details. (y)

DocWhiskey

Having both, I'd say the Ultimate Guide is more official. Not only does it have way more facts, But having many DK ultimate guides, it seems they do their homework better. The Lost Journal is certainly cool, but really it's just eye candy. If I have to settle a bet with a fellow Indy fan, the first place I'd go is the ultimate guide.

reverendB

I was wondering the same thing. But what I wonder about ALL of this info (Anna's Death, the fling w/Marion etc.) is, has it been written by someone else before? In one of the books, or in the YIJC? Or are the authors merely "filling in the blanks"? For example, where did they get Shorty's real name and BIRTH DATE ?
I mean COME ON, yes for those of us that care, it's AWESOME. But Where did it come from?

I hope someone with more IndyKnowledge that myself can answer.

ReverendB