"You lost today kid..."?

Captain Katanga

In the scene in LC before 'Fedora' puts his hat on young Indy he says, "You lost today kid, but it doesn't mean you have to like it". Does that line make any sense?

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
Of course that line makes sense. It means he doesn't have to like being a loser and that if he lost today, it doesn't mean he'll lose everyday.

Captain Katanga

vaxer said:
Of course that line makes sense. It means he doesn't have to like being a loser and that if he lost today, it doesn't mean he'll lose everyday.

Hmm.. but nobody likes to lose, I guess he thought Indy did for some reason.;)

Hats and Hugs

Captain Katanga said:
In the scene in LC before 'Fedora' puts his hat on young Indy he says, "You lost today kid, but it doesn't mean you have to like it". Does that line make any sense?

It is a manly way of saying, "You played against the varsity today, did credibly, and I know how you feel. If I was more given to being in touch with my emotions I would have given you a hug rather than a hat."

See tough guys cannot really express sympathy. They can however hand over hats or perhaps punch you in the shoulder.

He spoke to him as an equal and gave him a conciliation prize.

Sabe?

[Edited by Broomhandle Davis on 07-08-2002 at 09:58 AM]

A

Aussie Jones

I thought the line made sense, and it was one of my favourite lines.

the hammer42

Its also one of my favorites.
It actualy became the reason of how I handle things today.
When something doesnt go my way doesnt mean I have to like it.
But it doesnt mean I should give up the next time.

Johan

It was just one of those lines that made Indy REAL! It made him vulnerable to failure.

Rick5150

That line is the essence of Indy. He does not mean "like it" in the literal sense. You lost, but do not be satisfied with that. Keep trying. Don't give up. Indiana Jones is a character who wins a few and loses a few, never really gets the big prize at the end - yet will risk his life for the very next adventure. He is not a quitter. That one line said a lot to me. I loved it.