The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

San Holo

I dunno about this movie. Over at Aint it Cool news they are saying that "this film is following the grown up adventures of Brendan and Rachel's son - who has since fought in World War II and has in his post war years taken to the "family business" of Archeology and necro-ass-kickery." I don't even think Rick and wife will be in this movie-which is kinda lame, considering they built the franchise. The only cool bit of news I've heard regarding this movie is that it will be in China, and that Jett Li is in talks to play the Mummy.

XMarksTheSpot

I'm late on this but I found out that they were making a third one yesterday when it was on the AOL front page. Something about Jet Li joining the cast.

I love these movies so even if the third one tanks I'll probably like it. :p I'm weird like that. :D But I really hope that the original cast comes back. It wouldn't be the same without them and as San Holo stated, it would be kind of lame if Rick and Evelyn weren't in it. :(

But I guess we'll have to see what happens! Whatever does happen I'll go and see this movie regardless.

San Holo

With Fraser and Jett Li, this movie is gonna be sweet. Hopefully Weisz will come around, but the story can work just as well without her-Last Crusade formula-Father/Son adventure(y)

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
From what I understand, Fraiser is not attached to this project. Bad news for this film. Frankly, if he isn't attached this film is DOA.

deckard24

Disappointing to hear the beautiful Weisz will be missing. I read there was talk of the Mummy 3 being a prequel! This could be a way to explain Rachel's absence. As for Fraiser's involvement, I heard he was a total lock since he was getting some enormous paycheck for the role.

San Holo

Aaron H said:
From what I understand, Fraiser is not attached to this project. Bad news for this film. Frankly, if he isn't attached this film is DOA.
Yeeea buddy, Fraser is definetly on board-I read the news yesterday about how fat his paycheck will be for the part. You just can't have a Mummy movie without him(y)

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Which Mummy 3 are we talking about here? There are two scripts, both of which have the "green light". Its a matter of which one can get funding first. If it is the one from AICN then no Fraiser, if it is the other one (with Fraiser) then we have something to look forward to.

San Holo

Aaron H said:
Which Mummy 3 are we talking about here? There are two scripts, both of which have the "green light". Its a matter of which one can get funding first. If it is the one from AICN then no Fraiser, if it is the other one (with Fraiser) then we have something to look forward to.
I'm pretty sure the green lit script is the one with Fraiser, or I wouldn't be reading about his ginourmu$, "extremely lucrative", contract for the movie.

PhantomStranger

Ford and Yeoh Join Mummy 3
Source: Variety
May 1, 2007

Universal Pictures and director Rob Cohen have set Luke Ford to star in the third installment of The Mummy, in a move that potentially sets the franchise up for future films, reports Variety.

The 26-year-old Australian actor was cast with the expectation that he will eventually carry the franchise.

"We may spin off into a complete father-son direction with Brendan (Fraser), but by getting an actor who is in his 20s and not a teenager, we can also put the future on his shoulders," Cohen told the trade. "He tested against four much more established actors, and he was magic when he read with Brendan."

In The Mummy sequel, Ford will play Alex O'Connell, the 20ish son of adventurer Rick O'Connell (Fraser), who journeys into the forbidden tombs of China and into the Himalayas, where they run into a new shape-shifting mummy, a former Chinese emperor who was cursed by a female wizard.

Jet Li plays the mummy, Michelle Yeoh the wizard. The studio has tested six actresses to replace Rachel Weisz in the role of Evelyn Carnahan O'Connell after she declined to reprise.

The script was written by "Smallville" creators Miles Millar and Alfred Gough; Sean Daniel, Jim Jacks, Stephen Sommers and Bob Ducsay are producing.

Shooting will begin in Montreal on July 27, and then move to China. The film will open in July 2008, just before the Olympics begin in Beijing.:)

PhantomStranger

Maria Bello to Face the Mummy
Source: Variety
May 14, 2007

Maria Bello (A History of Violence) will replace Rachel Weisz in The Mummy 3, reports Variety.

She joins Brendan Fraser, Luke Ford, Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh in the Rob Cohen-directed film for Universal Pictures.

Bello will play Evelyn Carnahan O'Connell, the adventuress played in the first two films by Weisz. After Weisz declined to reprise, Cohen and the studio cast a wide net for a replacement.

Written by "Smallville" creators Miles Millar and Alfred Gough, the film brings the O'Connells and their full-grown son (Ford) to the forbidden tombs of China and the Himalayas, where they battle a shape-shifting mummy, a former Chinese emperor (Li) cursed by a wizard (Yeoh).

Sean Daniel, Jim Jacks, Stephen Sommers and Bob Ducsay are producing.

:hat:

EvilDevo

I absolutely hate when a different actor plays the role of a character in a franchise. HATE IT! Bah... couldn't they have written her out instead?

Katarn07

EvilDevo said:
I absolutely hate when a different actor plays the role of a character in a franchise. HATE IT! Bah... couldn't they have written her out instead?

I tend to agree with this, especially since Evelyn was such a cool character. I'd hate to see someone else play her.

I had no interest in this film until I heard Fraser was gonna be in it. I'm kinda surprised. I might watch it just for him. Hopefully his son's character will provide for some good action/humor moments between the two. Any word on John Hanna returning? Jonathan was my favorite character apart from Rick.

Gobi-1

I'm looking forward to The Mummy 3 but agree that it's a terrible idea to try and replace Rachel Weisz. They should simply do this as a father and son adventure film.

Finn

Staff member
Heh.

So, if all the bells of fate go hijinks, we might have two father-son -angle adventure flicks coming out in relatively short timeframe. Oughta be interesting.

On another news, Fraser doesn't quite strike me as someone you'd get for a paternal role. The guy's barely forty!

(Luke, not Harrison) Ford bears quite a resemblance with Fraser, btw. It won't take much suspension of disbelief to actually think they're related.

Gustav

The movie just won't be the same without the old O'Connell/Evelyn/Jonathan chemistry. Not that the second one was much the same either. But this one will be even less the same.

I also think Rob Cohen is one of the worst directors in history.

Gobi-1

I actually thought Stephen Sommers was a good director based on The Jungle Book, The Mummy, and The Mummy Returns. I thought to myself that this guy has got a future directing fun adventure movies. Then he went and made Van Helsing and completely lost it.