Webley holster

p10anniv

Hello, I am new to the Forum. I have been reading posts for months and decided to join. I am putting together my own version of a Indy outfit and gear that is not film correct but could have been. I found an original 1918 Webley holster at a local gun shop that collects antique holsters. It was in great shape and attached to a canvas belt. It looked more like the Last Crusade holster from Todds costumes. I wanted it until I was told the price. I ordered the Raiders holster from Todds because it was a lot cheaper. The gun shop wanted $95 for the Webley holster. I thought this was too expensive. Does that sound high to any of you ?

p10anniv

Update; I received the Raiders holster tonight and I love it. Its not the real holster, but its a great reproduction at 1/3 rd the cost so I am happy. I liked the original Webley holster, but I was not going top spend that much for it.

twlightzone1205

You chose wisely. I have a lot of Todds gear and happy wih all of it. Most of us colectors wouldn't be able to do this if it weren't for Todd.

p10anniv

Thanks. I have put together my own indy outfit. I found a kaki brass belt and bag at a Army/Navy store here in town. The bag is a army field bag that is green and made of canvas. I bought a 6 ft prop whip at Dans Boots and Saddles. I have a black leather jacket, and a pair of red wing boots that resemble the 405 Indy boots. I have a couple of kaki shirts, and some brown slacks. Some of this I already have, so I don't want to buy all the film correct gear from Todds. I wish I could afford to buy the complete outfit from Todds, but I cant justify the cost however reasonable it is.

p10anniv

twlightzone1205 said:
You chose wisely. I have a lot of Todds gear and happy wih all of it. Most of us colectors wouldn't be able to do this if it weren't for Todd.

Forgot to mention, I have a nice collection of hats, including a fur felt fedora that I call my Indy hat. I paid about $135 for it a a local hat shop. It resembles the hat but is not as tall in the crown as the ones from Todds.

Montana Smith

I'm not up on the values of 'Webley' holsters. My first Sam Browne style holster cost about £5 and the second about £15.

DSCN3654.jpg

DSCN3655.jpg

DSCN3887.jpg

Pearson & Sons, 1916:

100_0162.jpg

100_0163.jpg

100_0165.jpg

p10anniv

Montana,
Thats a nice looking holster. The gun shop wanted $95 for one just like yours so it might be worth close to that to a collector who had a real Webley.

Montana Smith

p10anniv said:
Montana,
Thats a nice looking holster. The gun shop wanted $95 for one just like yours so it might be worth close to that to a collector who had a real Webley.

For accuracy you needed to go for something like the Todds, with the Raiders (Smith & Wesson) holster being a cut-down version of the real thing.

I just looked at their website and was surprised how reasonably priced their gear is. The only killer would be shipping to the UK.

:hat:

Last edited:

p10anniv

Now I need to get the gun, but I am torn between getting a Webley replica and a Smith & Wesson - a real one, my first firearm. I looked at a few revolvers and I like them but I cant afford one right now. Mostly it would be for personal /home defense and target practice. Of course, a nice Webley replica would be cool but it seems silly to spend upwards of $100 for what is basically a toy gun.

Montana Smith

p10anniv said:
Now I need to get the gun, but I am torn between getting a Webley replica and a Smith & Wesson - a real one, my first firearm. I looked at a few revolvers and I like them but I cant afford one right now. Mostly it would be for personal /home defense and target practice. Of course, a nice Webley replica would be cool but it seems silly to spend upwards of $100 for what is basically a toy gun.

If I was in your position I'd wait and get a real S&W. It's the gun the Raiders holster was designed for.

In the UK live firing pistols and revolvers are prohibited. My Webley Mk IV .38 has therefore been deactivated. The .455 Mk VI, which is only three quarters of an inch longer overall, generally costs about four times as much.

These are photos from the day it arrived, still covered in grease:

DSCN3884.jpg

DSCN3885.jpg

It looks great up on the wall, as being so similar to the Mk VI it's also evocative of the days of empire.

The closest I've got so far to Indy's cut-down 4" S&W is this old blank firing S&W Model 19 .357 Combat Magnum with 4” barrel.

100_0132.jpg

It was actually Todd's Costumes who recently posted here that the replica Webley Mk IV .38 by Denix does't even open:

Todd's Costumes said:
That looks like the Denix. It does NOT open. The info is wrong on the website.

I have the Denix models and am going to sell them. They don't open.

-Todd

p10anniv

Montana, Those are great looking pistols. I would never have de-activated the Webley, I just would tell everyone it was and never fire it, what a shame. Yes I am pricing some revolvers now. There is a brand called the Taurus made in Brazil that is only $350 at Sportsmans Outdoors that I like. They have a S&W for $417, but its silver ; not very Indy.

Montana Smith

p10anniv said:
Montana, Those are great looking pistols. I would never have de-activated the Webley, I just would tell everyone it was and never fire it, what a shame.

It was deactivated by the company I bought it from - worldwidearms.com...

p10anniv said:
Yes I am pricing some revolvers now. There is a brand called the Taurus made in Brazil that is only $350 at Sportsmans Outdoors that I like. They have a S&W for $417, but its silver ; not very Indy.

...and the same company also had a 4" Brazilian Taurus for about the same price as the Webley. I was thinking about it as it was pretty close to the 1917.

The Webley won in the end because it was a...Webley!

They've since sold the Taurus, but the picture is still accessible.

494737.jpg

http://www.worldwidearms.com/popup.c...737&p_i=494737

p10anniv

I thought you had a real Webley and you de-activated it. You made the right choice between the two replicas. I like the Taurus ( real one ) that I was looking at, for the price and the fact that it resembles the S&W. I just might buy it soon ; there is always the credit card!

Montana Smith

p10anniv said:
I thought you had a real Webley and you de-activated it.

It is real, but by law it had to be deactivated for sale in the UK. Worldwidearms don't deal in replicas.

The S&W Model 19, however, was made in Japan, probably in the early '80s, as a blank firer.

I started collecting holsters and guns a while ago. Apart from three they're all replicas.

100_0611.jpg

Deactivated:

Webley Mk IV .38 double action
Vincenzo Bernadelli Mod. 60 .22 LR semi-automatic
Soviet Tokarev TT-33 7.62mm semi-automatic

Blank firers:

Smith & Wesson Model 19 .357 Combat Magnum (MGC of Japan)
Beretta Model 1934 9mm semi-automatic (RMI of Japan)
Colt Single Action Army, stamped 'Cal. 44-40 Long Blank' (MGC/RMI of Japan)

Replicas (all heavyweight with working actions):

1860 Army Colt .44
1860 Griswold & Gunnison .36
1866 Winchester .45
M1869 Smith & Wesson Schofield .45 ?top break?
1873 Colt .45 Peacemaker
1873 Colt .45 US Cavalry
Luger P08 9mm Parabellum

Airsoft:

Heckler & Koch 9mm MP5
Walther 9mm P99 heavyweight replica

I've been compiling some of my junk here. ;)

p10anniv

Nice collection. I read the posts on the other thread as well. I really like the old western ones. Do you have the Gold finger gun or the PPK ?

Montana Smith

p10anniv said:
Nice collection. I read the posts on the other thread as well. I really like the old western ones. Do you have the Gold finger gun or the PPK ?

Only what's on the wall. Wouldn't mind a PPK, though. I had the Bernadelli down as a PPK clone, but I think it's actually a PP clone by the length of the barrel.

p10anniv

Update;
I bought a Colt Official Police 38 Special at a local gun shop. The revolver is in excellent condition. It looks very much like the S &W 1917 model. Very Indy. It was made in 1930 but looks like its only a few years old. Paid $530.00 for the pistol, a box of shells, and a cleaning kit. I went to a indoor shooting range and test fired it last Saturday for $20; kind of expensive. There is another outdoor range out side of the city that costs $6 a day, but its way in B F*** Egypt. I cleaned it several times before and after shooting it and oiled it. This is my first firearm purchase. I love it, only regret is that I had to charge it but I plan to pay it off soon.

Last edited:

p10anniv

Update to the update; the pistol fits in the Raiders holster like a glove. I was instructed not to store it in the leather holster when not in use due to moisture issues. Canvas is suggested. I bought a gun sock and its stored in a safe.

p10anniv

Update; I wanted my wife to shoot the pistol so we went to a indoor shooting range This past Saturday. I thought the fee was $20 per party but its $20 per person - a rip off ! We left and ended up driving across town to another outdoor shooting range that only charges $6 per person. We had a great time and the guy next to us gave me a box a shells for free so we shot 2 boxes; 100 rounds in a couple of hours. I had never been to this range before so it was a new experience. We went out to eat and then home. I love firing this pistol.