Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Montana Smith

BIG SPOILER ALERT!

Dark Jedi Luke's new ride: The Emperor's Apprentice Mk. I:

DarthCar_SDCCFloor.jpg

Pale Horse

Staff member
More and More I'm standing behind my Mel Brooks simile. That's the ever present Dark Helmet mobile. Spaceballs, Revenge of the Parody.

Montana Smith

Star Wars: Episode VII’s Stormtrooper Design Leaked

Tom Butler
Senior UK Writer

‎15‎ ‎Aug‎ ‎2014

Staying spoiler-free for the release of ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’ 18 months from now is becoming increasingly difficult as minor plot details and leaked images begin to emerge.

Thanks to entertainment blog Indie Revolver, it seems we’ve been given our first look at the Stormtrooper helmet design for JJ Abrams’ forthcoming sequel.

It’s worth noting that we know that ‘Episode VII’ will definitely feature Stormtroopers as Kevin Smith confirmed their presence in the film earlier this year. He’d been given an exclusive set visit by Abrams and he spilled the beans on his podcast, so this “leak” seems feasible.

Warning, spoilers coming up…

0e625ef2f75d47473383d8ee98943b5194ac9181.jpg

Indie Revolver has posted what it claims to be three images of Stormtrooper helmet designs.

The first appears to be concept art, but it could be a photo – it’s hard to tell.

a8520c56c58f19739e5f35f1b18ddbe5e0dc5348.jpg

They say: “The helmet is not symmetrical – there’s only one breather/vent on the bottom near the mouth, on his left side. The black “mouth” area under the white nose plate appears to be a cloth/mesh (which you can better see in the detail shot below). The eye lenses are still separate, but set into a black frame to connect them and give the illusion of one single piece.”

https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/is-this-what-star-wars-episode-viis-stormtroopers-94809726846.html

Indie Revolver EXCLUSIVE: First Look at the Stormtroopers From Star Wars Episode VII

Posted on 08.14.2014 by Jay - indierevolver Standard

By: Jay Carlson

We have very reliable information that the images below represent how some of the Imperial Forces will appear in JJ Abrams’ Star Wars film.

wpid-st-helmet.jpg

The sequel Stormtrooper helmet feels like a natural continuation from the original, but there are distinct differences. The helmet is not symmetrical – there’s only one breather/vent on the bottom near the mouth, on his left side. The black “mouth” area under the white nose plate appears to be a cloth/mesh (which you can better see in the detail shot below). The eye lenses are still separate, but set into a black frame to connect them and give the illusion of one single piece.

wpid-x6z4zxihtai9_y5tfe5nsm64jxmrbxataia8aa7uxw.png

A couple people have referred to this as a “Jungle Trooper,” but I have a few good reasons to believe that this is actually an update to the Empire Strikes Back’s Snowtrooper. This new helmet has a flared dome and a single thin horizontal eyepiece to it (as we first saw described at Making Star Wars) and appears to have a removable face mask.

wpid-jt-sun.jpg

As with the X-Wing that was highlighted in the Force for Change commercial, they’re borrowing heavily from the original trilogy production concepts of Ralph McQuarrie and Joe Johnston with these designs.

They’ve slowly won me over more and more with each piece of information. Shooting on film instead of digital? I like it. Rumors that Drew Struzan is doing the poster? I’m listening. John Williams scoring? Keep going. Bringing back Han, Luke, Leia and Chewie? That has to make everyone as happy as it’s made me. After seeing these designs I am even more hopeful. It genuinely feels like Abrams is approaching Episode VII in way which respects both the fans and the original films themselves.

If you like this content, please follow us on facebook and twitter for more news and updates!

UPDATE: We’ve gotten a lot of referral clicks from the RPF – a site dedicated to replicas of movie props and costumes – and naturally, they have an additional prop image in their thread mentioning our story:

stormtrooper-helmet-2-2.jpg

Here you can see that the vent is only on the left side of the face, and a slotted vent on top of the dome. These helmets feel like Star Wars in a way that the clone troopers never did. It’s an exciting time to be a fan – and who thought we’d ever be able to say that again?

http://indierevolver.com/2014/08/14...the-stormtroopers-from-star-wars-episode-vii/

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
The irony of lamenting the fact that a movie is being spoiled, while reporting on the spoils is almost too much to bear.

I guess it's a natural progression for the look...If they needed Stormtroopers at all. But, hey, OT imagery sells and yet you cant just sell the same old toys, right?

And they have to throw the cosplayers an early bone to get a jump on the fall convention scene.

jsarino

^^^If that is true, it's taken some elements from the EU on what happened with the Empire. Also, if even the minor and medium spoilers are true, that ties in the upcoming Star Wars: Rebels to not just Episodes IV-VI, but to Episode VII and beyond.

Dr. Gonzo

Grizzlor said:
I really dig the new storm trooper helmet. But did Han Solo raid Blade Runner's costume department?

If that in fact is what he's gonna be wearing, I wonder if they made that choice after he broke his foot/leg? You know, after the fact, to cover it up for filming just in case they thought he'd still need to be on that peg leg crutch thing?

jsarino

Grizzlor said:
I really dig the new storm trooper helmet. But did Han Solo raid Blade Runner's costume department?

More like he raided Mal Reynolds' closet, browncoat and all.

Montana Smith

Germain Lussier: "If this is all true, it’s a pretty radical departure from what we know about Star Wars. If Darth Vader was puppeteering an army of Inquisitors while also dealing with Luke Skywalker, and those Inquisitors survived, it means the Rebellion didn’t win at the end of Return of the Jedi. The enemy remained. That changes everything we’ve ever thought about Star Wars. It does what a great sequel should do: takes the story you’re expecting and flips it on its head."

It's not particularly radical though. An Imperial Remnant has been part of the expanded universe since at least since 1995.

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
Germain Lussier: "If this is all true, it?s a pretty radical departure from what we know about Star Wars. If Darth Vader was puppeteering an army of Inquisitors while also dealing with Luke Skywalker, and those Inquisitors survived, it means the Rebellion didn?t win at the end of Return of the Jedi. The enemy remained. That changes everything we?ve ever thought about Star Wars. It does what a great sequel should do: takes the story you?re expecting and flips it on its head."

It's not particularly radical though. An Imperial Remnant has been part of the expanded universe since at least since 1995.

Radical? Who cares. A logical way to keep the threat alive? Then why not.

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
Radical? Who cares. A logical way to keep the threat alive? Then why not.

Finn said:
Friggin' princess.

More like a drama queen.

My point was that it wasn't as radical as Germain Lussier supposed, since the idea has been part of Star Wars since the expanded universe novels got into full swing in 1991 with the first of Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy.

It would be madness to suppose that the supporters of the Empire had been destroyed for good in ROTJ. It was a massive and far flung institution: an ideology that isn't simply wiped away with the destruction of a battle station and its leader.