Comments on the status of Indy V

jamielynch

Hey all, apologies if this has already been posted. Came across this on MTV. Ford talking a little bit about Indy 5:

MTV recently caught up with Ford who advised them that he, producer George Lucas and director Steven Spielberg might reunite for a fifth installment "if we come up with a good idea." Right now, though, the project is merely "in the primary stages."

"With some general input he goes off and searches for the MacGuffin and then stumbles into a story," Ford said of Lucas' process. "And at some point we have a chance to take a look at and give some input."

MTV: And he hasn’t found the MacGuffin yet?

Ford: No, we’re still in the primary stages.

MTV: The end of the last film leaves your character in a very intriguing position. He has a wife and a kid. Can he still be that man of adventure with those commitments?

Ford: And he’s seen something. Remember those are the only witness to what he’s seen. That’s kind of interesting.
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/11/19/exclusive-harrison-ford-talks-fifth-indiana-jones-film/

Interesting stuff, what do you guys think?

Benraianajones

jamielynch said:
Ford: And he?s seen something. Remember those are the only witness to what he?s seen. That?s kind of interesting.

What is Harrison Ford talking about exactly? The fact they witnessed a UFO with him? We all know in Indy 5 if there is one, he'd be a non-believer again like he always reverts to!

Personally, I'd hate Mutt and Marion dragged along on the adventure. Give us fresh sidekicks. A new Indy girl. He doesn't need to get it on with her. Just some educated archelogist like Sophia or something.

jamielynch

Benraianajones said:
Personally, I'd hate Mutt and Marion dragged along on the adventure. Give us fresh sidekicks. A new Indy girl. He doesn't need to get it on with her. Just some educated archelogist like Sophia or something.

Agreed, would much rather Indy leave the wife and kid at home. And if he could avoid all fridges that'd be a bonus... (y)

Dewy9

Well, that's about where I thought they were. Uncle George needs to get to work. Harrison's not too old by any means, not yet at least.

Like BenrianaJones said, he'll just go back to being a skeptic... like with ALL the movies. Indy wasn't the only one to see this stuff happening in the other movies and nothing really happened to the other characters as a result.

Benraianajones

Dewy9 said:
Well, that's about where I thought they were. Uncle George needs to get to work. Harrison's not too old by any means, not yet at least.

Like BenrianaJones said, he'll just go back to being a skeptic... like with ALL the movies. Indy wasn't the only one to see this stuff happening in the other movies and nothing really happened to the other characters as a result.

I know, and like the other movies, he never mentioned the ark's powers in the other movies, nor the TOD cult antics, the false grail's aging properties, or the real grails to anyone in the other movies. So I doubt the aliens inspiring ancient tribes, or the fact he saw a saucer would be raised by him in the 5th. Mutt and Marion were covering their heads and missed the UFO pretty much anyway, cause they ducked for cover as the saucer threw all the rocks in the air.

Udvarnoky

I'm guessing when Ford says "primary" what he means to say "preliminary," unless he was misquoted.

I'd also like Marion and Mutt to stay home for the next adventure. I think they deserve some coverage at the beginning so we can see how the family unit is doing, but let's have Indy not want to drag them into his next journey. Get us some new sidekicks, like Benraianajones says. I'm not sure if continuing the James Bond tradition of giving Indy a new love interest would work though. They sort of shot that wad in having him marry Marion. Do fans really want to see him unfaithful now that he's settled down? The character's a family man in his sixties; I think we can let the romantic angle go in Indy5. Maybe they could develop something for Mutt, though, and better yet have Indy disapprove of the broad.

Benraianajones

Udvarnoky said:
I'm guessing when Ford says "primary" what he means to say "preliminary," unless he was misquoted.

I'd also like Marion and Mutt to stay home for the next adventure. I think they deserve some coverage at the beginning so we can see how the family unit is doing, but let's have Indy not want to drag them into his next journey. Get us some new sidekicks, like Benraianajones says. I'm not sure if continuing the James Bond tradition of giving Indy a new love interest would work though. They sort of shot that wad in having him marry Marion. Do fans really want to see him unfaithful now that he's settled down? The character's a family man in his sixties; I think we can let the romantic angle go in Indy5. Maybe they could develop something for Mutt, though, and better yet have Indy disapprove of the broad.

Indy wouldn't need to be in love with a female sidekick, she could just be an old co-worker. Or even just a young co-worker. Having Mutt have a girl would mean he'd drag Mutt once again on a Indy journey, which I'd not want. I bet if there is a 5th the family do get dragged on the adventure, I think that would put me off.

Udvarnoky

Benraianajones said:
Having Mutt have a girl would mean he'd drag Mutt once again on a Indy journey, which I'd not want.

Not necessarily. It doesn't have to be given any real focus. It could be foundation for a relationship that continues in the inevitable Mutt spinoffs.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
jamielynch said:
Ford: And he’s seen something. Remember those are the only witness to what he’s seen. That’s kind of interesting.

If it means that Mutt and Marion will be killed off in the beginning and Indy will drown himself in Whiskey I'll totally be there.

nevsky41

Originally posted by Udvarnoky

I'm not sure if continuing the James Bond tradition of giving Indy a new love interest would work though.

Man, I wanted Marion to come back in the first place. TOD could've still been done unchanged, but LC would've been radically different.

Benraianajones

Marion in every film, or most of the movies would be boring I think.I like Indy's sidekicks to change, and females often help mix things up a lot. She is great in Raiders, fine in Crystal Skull, but no more please! Unless it is a small cameo at the start to show she is happy.

Or, base the new one before Crystal Skull by a year or so.

But yeah,Marion and Mutt and Indy all on another adventure again would be a bit tiring.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Udvarnoky said:
something for Mutt, though, and better yet have Indy disapprove of the broad.
Just what I was thinking. This solves all your problems: younger demographic, minor conflict, family theme. Just the chance to pair young twentysomethings in a summer action movie makes the likelihood of a girl for Mutt about 75%.

spiralout

MTV: James Bond is a franchise that's figured out how to ably switch between actors. If, in 50 years, they find another man to play Indiana Jones, would that sit all right with you?

Ford: The very simple addition of numbers would make it clear that in 50 years I will not give a sh-- at all. I will so not care.

Hahaha. Well said, Harrison.

James

They could always give Marion a rival for Indy's affections, much like the idea they explored in the Monkey King script.

I think Mutt should be sidelined as much as possible. He was a fun character in KOTCS, but he also served his purpose. Just like Short Round or Henry Sr. I wouldn't mind seeing him appear in the prologue, then again at the ending. But for the main story, he should be sent back to school. :)

However, Marion is a little different. We really didn't get to see her that much in KOTCS, so there's still a lot of unexplored potential there. I could see her surprising Indy by tagging along unexpectedly on the quest. After watching Abner's obsession lead him to the grave, she would obviously have a unique perspective on Indy's determination. And if they ended up using a Macguffin like the Garden of Eden, there would be some thematic reasons to have her along.

Ford's comment about having "seen something" is very interesting, though. It suggests a world where Indy is no longer the skeptic, but finds himself inspiring such skepticism in others. His students? The press? His peers? Perhaps he begins writing about all the strange things he has witnessed? Does he find his theories or claims ridiculed, and feel a need to make one last, great discovery? Or perhaps this is what will prompt someone to seek his assistance in finding the new Macguffin?

I don't take it too seriously, since it could just be Ford in a playful mood (ala Opal of the Merman Prince). I would hope a 5th movie is no more a direct sequel than any of the previous films. But then, Lucas has always been pretty good about keeping the films episodic in nature.

Last edited:

deckard24

MTV: The end of the last film leaves your character in a very intriguing position. He has a wife and a kid. Can he still be that man of adventure with those commitments?
Ford: "And he's seen something. Remember those are the only witnesses to what he's seen. That's kind of interesting."
Sounds like Indy V could have more aliens, or at least a continuation of Indy being under scrutiny by the government and or Russians! Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the way I read it. Then again it could just be Ford's usual ramblings!

Last edited:

Benraianajones

They should bring in a woman from Indy's "past", who he had a "thing" for when he was apart from Marion. Indy and her end up in a quest together, and never really do anything about it, but the tension would be fun, and it'd develop Indy and Marion's relationship in the end (Indy being faithful in marriage) even if Marion isn't in it.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Throwing a monkey wrench of any size into a tested relationship is pure laziness. Viewers endure the maneuverings to the inevitable reunion, while learning to loathe the characters just a little. Think of all the sequels which suffered for it: Zorro 2, National Treasure 2, Ghostbusters 2. Each is a franchise killer which poisoned what came before.