The World without KotCS, a better place?

Are you glad the film was made?

• Total voters

fortuneandglory

Hm... I only had the time to see it once. As I look back, I had a lot of fun but had a small bit of disappointment at the end of the movie.

Big movies like this have a ton of hype, and you expect it to be the best thing ever made when you see it. Overhyped movies tend to always slightly disappoint me when I see them the first time, and then when I see them again, I love them. Sequels especially.

This is not bashing your "gut instinct" into submission, for most people. One goes into this movie with high or even unrealistic expectations. Most people go in hoping for it to be as good as Raiders, but don't get that, and are therefore disappointed.

The film grows on you the second time because you watch it without worrying about it. You go into the film without expectations, without the hype, simply to watch it for fun. If it really isn't for you, then it will still suck. If you do actually like it, you will actually like it.

I went in and enjoyed myself, and was slightly disappointed because I was expecting something slightly different. But only slightly. It was more the difference in time period that really got me. It was a whole change in tone from Nazi fighting. However, I still enjoyed the film.

A second viewing, I'm sure, will give me a chance to enjoy it without having these expectations on my mind, giving me a chance to focus on the film itself.

Oh, and by the way... Temple of Doom is my favorite of the four films. I absolutely love everything about it, it's outrageous quality included.

Last edited:
Someday, KOTCS is going to become one of those midnight audience participation cult films where the audiences perform a Rocky Horror Picture Show rendition of it. It will become legendary for providing a barrel of cheap laughs to drunken college students.

Jonesy9906753

they needed a way better script that wasn't so hammy and half-hearted,better characters,and more practical effects like they promised us.Indy 4 happened obviously,but it just didnt deliver for me man.

I think now that all the dust has settled on this piece of **** film, it's safe to say:

1. Ford was too old.
2. There was no reason to continue with the franchise; it had an already satisfying finale (semi-satisfying as Last Crusade is all-in-all a **** film).
3. The script was rushed despite the 19 years they had to perfect it; obviously they greenlit the first piece of **** they could get their hands on before Ford finally gave up in exasperation.
4. FORD WAS TOO DAMN OLD.

Definitely didn't need to be made.

Jonesy9906753

ResidentAlien said:
I think now that all the dust has settled on this piece of **** film, it's safe to say:

1. Ford was too old.
2. There was no reason to continue with the franchise; it had an already satisfying finale (semi-satisfying as Last Crusade is all-in-all a **** film).
3. The script was rushed despite the 19 years they had to perfect it; obviously they greenlit the first piece of **** they could get their hands on before Ford finally gave up in exasperation.

i agree with number two,but how can you think indiana jones cannot age man? of course harrison's older but he still pulled it off,in my opinion he's the only thing that held the movie together. but even some of the things they had indy do were too dudgy

Jonesy9906753 said:
i agree with number two,but how can you think indiana jones cannot age man? of course harrison's older but he still pulled it off,in my opinion he's the only thing that held the movie together. but even some of the things they had indy do were too dudgy

Pulled it off? Which is why he lumbered around clumsily through the whole of the film. The most physically demanding stunt for him was to muster the energy to arch an eyebrow in appreciation of Shia Ladouche. ... though he did seem to do that a lot.

No, he spent the movie riding ***** to that turd because he was TOO OLD. Spielberg recognized it; why else do you think Shia was introduced? To take the weight off of an aging "star."

Nothing against aging, but Ford was too old to be THE Indiana Jones. All we got was a crotchety old man mimicking the mind-bogglingly awful dialogue Connery had in the prior film. Ugh, no thanks.

The Man

Spielberg should have ignored Lucas, Ford and most of us and made Lincoln instead. Sadly, he'll never seem quite the same director after this debacle...

Darth Vile

Jonesy9906753 said:

I think it's a valid argument (although I may not agree). Personally - I think it's great to see an older and more grizzled Indiana Jones (perhaps one of the only iconic figures, apart from Luke Skywalker, I?d like to see as an older character), but playing the Devils Advocate one could argue that?

1) Ford would/did need to reduce his physical performance (which is fundamental to the part/character).
2) A large section of the audience cannot relate to a 60 year old lead character hero, which results in the movie having to bring in younger characters (such as Mutt) which takes some of the spotlight off Indy (who should be the main character).

Again - I don't necessarily agree with the above, but one could argue that they those challenges could conflict with the fundamentals.

Zorg

I'm glad they made it. Sure, we would've loved to get it sooner, but I'm happy they made it. And it was a decent film with Ford still in top form.

graz

ResidentAlien said:

1. Ford was too old.

LOL - You didn't enjoy it did you? (y)

Interesting to see your opinion of LC as well though. Would you rather they had just stopped at two? (or don't you like TOD either?)

Jones_Happens

Personally, I'd watch Harrison Ford punch people if he was eighty. Some actors just have the ability to pull off action and some don't. Long after he's gone, Ford will be remembered as one of cinema's great action stars. There are actors in their 20s who can't throw a screen punch like Harrison.

Once an interviewer asked Harrison Ford whether he thinks he's a great actor. His response was that he thinks he is a "very serviceable actor." He knows his limits and how to sell certain roles.

Darth Vile

Jones_Happens said:
Personally, I'd watch Harrison Ford punch people if he was eighty. Some actors just have the ability to pull off action and some don't. Long after he's gone, Ford will be remembered as one of cinema's great action stars. There are actors in their 20s who can't throw a screen punch like Harrison.

Once an interviewer asked Harrison Ford whether he thinks he's a great actor. His response was that he thinks he is a "very serviceable actor." He knows his limits and how to sell certain roles.

QFT.

It can be argued that the world doesn't need another Indiana Jones movie (even if it were a great movie). Indiana Jones, Batman or Spiderman movies will not move the world of cinema on any... but do I still get a kick out of seeing Harrison dressed up as Indy punching some Nazi or Russian soldier? Bloody right I do... Will I still pay to see Indy doing his stuff? Of course ;)

The Man

Darth Vile said:
Will I still pay to see Indy doing his stuff? Of course ;)

You'll welcome more of Indiana Jones regardless of how bad the film(s) could be? Case closed.

Darth Vile

The Man said:
You'll welcome more of Indiana Jones regardless of how bad the film(s) could be? Case closed.

Nope - There has to be an assumption on my part that the movie would be of a certain quality. I would be relatively happy with a movie of the same quality of KOTCS or even TOD...

It's really the same as how people welcome a Batman movie that isn't actually about Batman, where he?s actually a bystander in his own movie and his character/personality is not evolved in any way (some may say that about KOTCS). Either way it?s largely relative?

Crusade>Raiders

Darth Vile said:
It's really the same as how people welcome a Batman movie that isn't actually about Batman, where he?s actually a bystander in his own movie and his character/personality is not evolved in any way (some may say that about KOTCS). Either way it?s largely relative?

I'm usually behind you Darth Vile as one of the few spoken people who likes Kingdom, but thats just wrong >_>

Darth Vile

Crusade>Raiders said:
I'm usually behind you Darth Vile as one of the few spoken people who likes Kingdom, but thats just wrong >_>

Well it's only an opinion... and they all differ from time to time. ;)

Ultimately I think all the standout moments in TDK revolve around and focus on the Joker... he carries the movie (both as a character and because of HL?s performance). At least with KOTCS, regardless of whether you like it or not, it's still carried by Indy/Harrison Ford.

Jonesy9906753

My conclusion is that they should have done this back in 1996 or 1997,when Harrison was a bit younger,Connery wasn't retired,Lucas hadn't yet made Phantom Menace,Kasdan definitley should have returned to the team and sat down with george and steven and mapped out the movie in one room like they did with raiders,and Steven would direct it.

No Ticket

1.) Yes, they should have done it earlier.

2.) No they didn't need to make it. But they did.

3.) No it wasn't as good as it could/should have been.

4.) We STILL don't need another one.

5.) We'd still probably like to see another one. Some of us say they wouldn't go see another but they probably would.

No Ticket

Jonesy9906753 said:
damn right man

One of the main reasons I DO like KOTCS in some respects. It is Indy and he did come back. His adventure wasn't as interesting but I did enjoy seeing Harrison play him again. So I did get something out of it. But it also hurt my feelings that his triumphant return was in a mediocre movie.