Books

hffan2000

right now i'm reading Black Order by James Rollins. it's an adventure novel dealing with the origin of life and a secret Nazi experiment that has been started up again.
it's really exciting and well worth reading especially for Indy fans

Niteshade007

I just finished Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, which was great. I also just read a book by Celia Rivenbark called We're Just Like You, Only Prettier. It's a collection of stories about her life as a wife and a mother and all the crazy things life throws at you. It's hysterically funny and definitely worth the read.

Lon

James Rollins has written several adventure books that are pretty good and "Indy" themed.

Steve Alten is also a good adventure/thriller writer.

Right now I'm reading The Lovely Bones (which Peter Jackson will adapt as his next film).

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Lon said:
Right now I'm reading The Lovely Bones (which Peter Jackson will adapt as his next film).
Me too, I think he'll call it Frighteners 2: Vixen of Vengance.
M. Night Shyamalan as the token Indian.

kongisking

fortuneandglory said:
I'm a huge fan of Michael Crichton as well. I'd reccomend Prey, Timeline, and Jurassic Park.

I'm in the process of reading some of Dumas' work as well. I'd reccomend The Count of Monte Cristo as well!

And you should try some Jack London as well. Call of the Wild is one of my favorites.

*cough* read Harry Potter *cough* Despite it being classified as a childrens book, it's highly entertaining. I absolutely love those books! You probably wouldn't be sorry if you read it.

Finally...someone with intelligence. I love Crichton too! (y)

Ugh... Michael Crichton. Grew out of that garbage when I was like 15... *sigh* I read nearly everything that man wrote. Thousands of pages of regret... what a waste of effort.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Of Crichton's recent work, Prey and State of Fear are excellent... but skip Timeline, Airframe and Next.

Hawkeye

I really like the historical novels by Jeff Shaara, as well as "The Killer Angels", by his father Michael. In a comedic/humorous book, I LOVE M*A*S*H. The book was SO much better than the movie. I prefer Alan Alda's interpretation of Hawkeye, especially in the first three seasons of the show.
I also love to read historical nonfiction, particularly about the Civil War. In that category I really enjoyed "The Gettysburg Campaign: A Study in Command", by Edwin B. Codington, and "Battle Cry of Freedom", by James M. McPherson.

Niteshade007

I just read for one of my classes Ethics for the New Millennium. It's actually quite interesting. It's written by the Dalai Lama.

|ZiR|

I'm about 170 pages into Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. It's good. I like it so far. But, wow, I understand now why so many people call it a "hard" book. His prose is... difficult to get into, though once you find the rhythm it's wonderful. I recommend to anyone and everyone.

I just reread Philip Pullman's The Golden Compass (or The Northern Lights for the rest of the world). Disappointed to find that it's not as good as I remember it being. I was crazy about His Dark Materials back when I was 14. Guess that's just part of getting older Hmm.

Read Mockingbird: A Portrait of Harper Lee last week, too. It was fascinating. I never knew how involed she was in helping Capote with In Cold Blood, nor how very little credit he gave her in return. Excellent read - couldn't put it down. Pick it up if you're a fan of hers.

BTW, Robert Jorden, author of the acclaimed (and lengthy) Wheel of Time series, died. I thought about making a thread about it, but I don't know if there are many fans of his here. My brother loved those books. Very sad. ):

HovitosKing

Moedred said:
Of Crichton's recent work, Prey and State of Fear are excellent... but skip Timeline, Airframe and Next.

I agree about skipping Timeline...that novel read like a cheesy screenplay ready for the clichéd movie it finally became. That one was a bomb.

Michael24

I don't get to read as much as I'd like to, and the only author I exclusively follow is Michael Crichton. I think I've enjoyed just about every book of his (JURASSIC PARK actually spark my interest in writing), though I've yet to finish STATE OF FEAR or get around to NEXT.

I read mostly sci-fi and action/adventure, and some occasional horror. I also pick up the odd movie novelization here and there, especially if I know it contains a lot of stuff that didn't make it into the final film.

I also like the STAR WARS Expanded Universe, though I haven't been into many of them for the last few years. I like a lot of the older ones, though, like Timothy Zahn's "Thrawn Trilogy" and A.C. Crispin's "Han Solo Trilogy."

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, some light reading, after Ulysses:
"A new book by Maureen McCormick, who played Marsha on the "Brady Bunch," reportedly drops bombs about the classic sitcom, including a lesbian affair between Marsha and Jan."

berelain19

ClintonHammond said:
I think it's VERY funny that Robert Jordan died before he could even FINISH the skite-fest that was Wheel Of Time.

Well,that series was never meant to end,so anyone who likes it can read it.
Just so they know it's not gonna end..:hat:

I like fantasies and thrillers.

I'm reading The Princess Bride and it's very very hilarious,in a good way!

Yesterday I bought ''Marley and me''. And I can greatly recommand ''The Beach".
It's very very VERY different from the movie,so,read it!