new Indy Answer from Hasbro

Billy Ray

True, it is actually ILM special effects guru Dennis Muren behind the Life magazine. I too thought it was Toht until the DVDs came out.

inky_skin

Ok, Hasbro are running a little out of synch on their Q&A sessions, so the questions I posted previously will be answered on 07-03. However, they have come back with an answer to a question submitted pre-NYC Toy Fair...

Q. We've seen a number of UK Toy Fair reports which detail the 3 3/4" Indiana Jones line. Raiders, Last Crusade and Crystal Skull all seem to be represented - but Temple of Doom appears strangely lacking. Are you, like Lego, avoiding merchandise from this film due to it's darker tone? Will we ever see Willie, Short-Round and Mola Ram in plastic form?

A. Wave 4 of the IJ basic figure line will be Temple-themed, and it will be a doozy of a wave. We showed one image at Toy Fair - of a Temple Thug - and we can tell you that this is one fine wave. As for specific characters, we will confirm Wave 4 at Toy Fair (if not before).....the remaining one(s) will be be in the first of the 2009 waves.

I think the key point is probably the last sentence as it confirms the longevity of the 3 3/4 " line. Slightly curious about confirmation of characters for Wave 4 at Toy Fair - to my knowledge it never happened.

inky_skin

Yep - presentation was all we got. I plan on following this point up in the next round. However, I think if Mola Ram has already been seen as a Mighty Mugg, he's pretty much guaranteed in this wave. If I were a betting man (which I am - try me), I'd go for the following assortment...

• Indiana Jones - Rope Bridge Battle (no-brainer - another distinct Indy variant - and Hasbro loves the 'battle damaged' deco's)
  • Indiana Jones - Club Obi Wan (not 100% certain on this inclusion - the only alternative is 'Professor Indy' from Pankot Palace)
nb - two Indy's in this Wave follows the pattern of Waves 1-2
  • Willie Scott - Rope Bridge Battle (shirt/pants combo is more likely than alternate 'Club Obi Wan' variant)
  • Short Round (99.9% certain)
  • Temple Thug (confirmed)
  • Mola Ram (high probability)
Believe there were only 6 figures slated for this wave. The only swap-out I can image would be Indy / Club Obi Wan - perhaps in favour of a generic Thuggee.

Are there any more comic/collecting events before September where Hasbro might traditionally preview additional figures - SDCC perhaps ?

ChromiumBlue37

inky_skin said:
Yep - presentation was all we got. I plan on following this point up in the next round. However, I think if Mola Ram has already been seen as a Mighty Mugg, he's pretty much guaranteed in this wave. If I were a betting man (which I am - try me), I'd go for the following assortment...

• Indiana Jones - Rope Bridge Battle (no-brainer - another distinct Indy variant - and Hasbro loves the 'battle damaged' deco's)
  • Indiana Jones - Club Obi Wan (not 100% certain on this inclusion - the only alternative is 'Professor Indy' from Pankot Palace)
  • Willie Scott - Rope Bridge Battle (shirt/pants combo is more likely than alternate 'Club Obi Wan' variant)
Believe there were only 6 figures slated for this wave. The only swap-out I can image would be Indy / Club Obi Wan - perhaps in favour of a generic Thuggee.

Are there any more comic/collecting events before September where Hasbro might traditionally preview additional figures - SDCC perhaps ?

Great choices! They may reserve a Tuxedoed Indy for a Club Obi Wan wave -
Lao Che, Wu Han, Chen, Koa Kan, Willie in night club dress. If they really wanted to milk it for a second wave, they could include the Gong Man with gong accessory, Gangster with tommy gun on steps, Earl Weber and one of Lao Che's pilots.

Getting back to the first TOD wave, I am sure we are finally going to see Short Round, Willie Scott and Mola Ram!

tnswman

don't forget, Hasbro usually packages Smaller figures with some other figure or acessory....Maybe SR will come with a Slave or the Prince figure.

Wu_Han

Ah but we need a mine car chase playset! We've been waiting for 25 years for that playset! Please Hasbro!

Crayfish

I seriously believe the mine cart will be a deluxe figure with either some sort of Indy or a Thugee. I would bet good money on it. By this time next year..I forsee it happening.

masterJ

Hey Indy_skin, can you please ask this question next round:
What are the chances you will release the tank from The Last Crusade?

ChromiumBlue37

Good question!

Hi inky_skin. Please ask Hasbro about the possibility of the German Desert Tank and the Flying Wing. We would also love to know the characters in the TOD wave 4. Hasbro claimed that they revealed them at Toy Fare, but no one heard them mention the assortment other than the Thuggee Guard.

Thank you!

masterJ

I agree, we should also ask about the TOD wave, supposedly they were going to announce the entire 2008 lineup at toyfair. They were quoted saying that on one of the Q&A's.

Can hardly wait to hear if there will be a rope bridge indy, that is by far the figure I was most excited for when I heard of the new indy line starting up.

Billy Ray

I'd like to know why they decided to pack the Ark in with Map Room Indy for the deluxe set. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for both (though I wish the Ark had the poles or at least the rings) but the two don't go together. Indy is never with the Ark in that get up:confused:

ChromiumBlue37

masterJ said:
I agree, we should also ask about the TOD wave, supposedly they were going to announce the entire 2008 lineup at toyfair. They were quoted saying that on one of the Q&A's.

Can hardly wait to hear if there will be a rope bridge indy, that is by far the figure I was most excited for when I heard of the new indy line starting up.

With Hasbro the question isn't IF we will get a rope bridge Indy figure, but WHEN we will get it. They will do it sooner or later!

I'd love to hear what we are getting for the rest of the year as well.

inky_skin

I posted the following questions for Hasbro last week, and we should get an answer today / tomorrow...

Firstly, can you please clarify the following answer from the last round regarding the Indy line...

"As for specific characters, we will confirm Wave 4 at Toy Fair (if not before).....the remaining one(s) will be be in the first of the 2009 waves."

As far as we know, other than the Temple Thug, you didn't confirm the wave composition ?

Now on to the regular questions...

Q1. We've now had time to digest the Indy toy line previewed in NYC, and...wow ! With two Indiana's in both the Raiders and Crystal Skull waves, can we expect additional variant Indy's in the Temple of Doom and Last Crusade waves ? Perhaps "torn shirt" Indy and "necktie" Indy ? Also, Raiders Indy has a touch of the Darth Malak "scary eyes" - will this be
fixed prior to release ?.

Q2. The two small "Indy Trap" dioramas from the Deluxe line have a lot of potential. Will these continue, showing traps from the other movies ?

The next round of submissions is next Friday, so keep your suggestions coming...

ChromiumBlue37

Billy Ray said:
I'd like to know why they decided to pack the Ark in with Map Room Indy for the deluxe set. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for both (though I wish the Ark had the poles or at least the rings) but the two don't go together. Indy is never with the Ark in that get up:confused:

That is the one Deluxe set that makes absolutely NO sense! The pack-in figure for the Ark of the Covenant without the rings or carry-poles should have been Ceremonial Belloq! As a single carded figure he may end up a pegwarmer.

The Map Room Deluxe Indy is lacking several key components. A recreation of the map room base from the Kenner line would have fit very nicely in back of the figure flat against the cardback. The original base was small enough. There is no staff of Ra! With these 2 accessories missing, the existing Deluxe Indy in Arab Disguise figure is nice, but could have been paired up with more of a Map Room theme.

tnswman

ChromiumBlue37 said:
That is the one Deluxe set that makes absolutely NO sense! The pack-in figure for the Ark of the Covenant without the rings or carry-poles should have been Ceremonial Belloq! As a single carded figure he may end up a pegwarmer.

The Map Room Deluxe Indy is lacking several key components. A recreation of the map room base from the Kenner line would have fit very nicely in back of the figure flat against the cardback. The original base was small enough. There is no staff of Ra! With these 2 accessories missing, the existing Deluxe Indy in Arab Disguise figure is nice, but could have been paired up with more of a Map Room theme.

It almost seems like they were just doing ANYTHING to put an ARK out there.....The no poles is a factor for me as well. However, I'm thinking that Hasbro added a crate that will fit the ARK in the truck packaging. Also, you are correct in stating that the deluxe accessories are MUCH bigger than the map room set. Take the set that I have now, it is 2x the size of the Maproom.

The map room would have been a very easy item to re-mold. Who knows, Hasbro has probably thought about this to some degree but as much as I am glad to get the Ark and Desert Indy, It looks like a half baked idea.

Considering how large the deluxe playsets are ( and in relation to the old map room playset, these could be called playsets)

ChromiumBlue37

Can't help but to agree with you! Those little trap enviro's do make swell little playsets. The deluxe line seems to be the one of the easiest methods to deliver key Indy scenes and give play/display value for the figures!

Just imagine what they could accomplish for the three trials from TLC.

The Breath of God - easy. A small stone pathway lined with stone walls, (some waist high). Pop-out circular blades that are hidden in the cracks and can be "triggered".

The Word of God - easy. Wide plastic stone base, (hollow, about 1 inch and a half high). Punch through plastic lettered "tiles" spelling Jehovah, only correctly with an "I".

The Path of God - a little more complex and may need to be marketed as a low-cost playset, but easy enough to execute.
Think this idea, all in stone with a removable plastic rock bridge with the exact same scheme painted as the abyss below - http://www.rebelscum.com/POTF2deathstarescapeplayset.asp

inky_skin said:

Mate you have missed a few things here. The TOD DEFINATELYwont have Mola, Willie and Short Round. Hasbro are saying that in the answer when they say the remaining one(s) will come next year!

They obviously mean the wave will be revelead at SDCC when they say Toyfair, - typo.

You say Mola Rom is guaranteed cos there is a Mighty Mug of him -WTF? What sort of logic is that??????

My big worry is they hold off on a few big hitters, then the whole line gets cancelled and they new get made noooooooooooooo. I really dont see this line lasting beyond 5 or 6 waves of figures.