Indy 4 on DVD

deckard24

I just got the DVD as a B-day gift, and so far I've got to say I'm impressed! The special features have been top notch, and even though I haven't gotten around to watching the movie itself, it already feels more like Indy on the home screen! I doubt my opinion of the film will change dramatically, but overall I can see it being a guilty pleasure to watch from time to time!

Pale Horse

Staff member
Major West said:
Yeah, they should have filmed those scenes in a real rainforest jungle at night time...

Could have filmed it at any nature preserve too, without all the expense of flying to some distant film shoot.

Major West

Pale Horse said:
Could have filmed it at any nature preserve too, without all the expense of flying to some distant film shoot.

It's easier for many practical reasons of which you may not be aware to shoot in a studio. It's a movie, not a nature documentary after all.

Benraianajones

Major West said:
It's easier for many practical reasons of which you may not be aware to shoot in a studio. It's a movie, not a nature documentary after all.

You make it sound like people have never filmed outside in the dark before near trees! Though I don't have an issue with the scene or lighting. I actually like the colours in Crystal Skull, I think it is one of the most colourful. I like the Crystal Skull's colouring when they are in the chamber at the end. The very subtle pulsating colours within them.

Actually talking of jungles at night, remember, there was a "night time jungle" scene in TOD. How is that to the KOTCS one, is there much difference, I am not sure there is.

Last edited:

Darth Vile

Benraianajones said:
You make it sound like people have never filmed outside in the dark before near trees! Though I don't have an issue with the scene or lighting. I actually like the colours in Crystal Skull, I think it is one of the most colourful. I like the Crystal Skull's colouring when they are in the chamber at the end. The very subtle pulsating colours within them.

Actually talking of jungles at night, remember, there was a "night time jungle" scene in TOD. How is that to the KOTCS one, is there much difference, I am not sure there is.

Good points you make. I'd say the studio bound jungle scene in TOD consists of a small clearing, a couple of bushes, a camp fire and a small elephant. I don't have a problem with that, but clearly the KOTCS jungle camp set is a lot more substantial...

Benraianajones

I think both scenes manage to capture what they need to.

TOD, a small clearing in the jungle, a camp fire, a make-shift camp site really. A little clothes line, and somewhere to tell a small story/comparing lives - "my granfather was a magician....magic rocks!? sweet dreams Dr Jones"

KOTCS's outside jungle at night is a campsite with a bit of a "party" atmosphere with the Russian dancing, it feels more open and so, in a way be viewed as less "Jungle" like as it isn't as "enclosed" as in TOD. But in reality I think it does a good job, because it has all the tents that scenes also take place in.

Darth Vile

Udvarnoky said:
Which makes sense, because it's a lot more substantial a scene.

Benraianajones said:
I think both scenes manage to capture what they need to.

TOD, a small clearing in the jungle, a camp fire, a make-shift camp site really. A little clothes line, and somewhere to tell a small story/comparing lives - "my granfather was a magician....magic rocks!? sweet dreams Dr Jones"

KOTCS's outside jungle at night is a campsite with a bit of a "party" atmosphere with the Russian dancing, it feels more open and so, in a way be viewed as less "Jungle" like as it isn't as "enclosed" as in TOD. But in reality I think it does a good job, because it has all the tents that scenes also take place in.

Agree with both posts...

sandiegojones

Did any one notice the little hat moments with Indy and Dovchenko?

I noticed that in the warehouse scene after Indy's done with the gunpowder that he flips the hat back to Dovchenko behind him without looking and then later in the Russian camp after Indy has looked into the skull and they bring Indy out to the campfire that Dovchecnko tosses Indy's hat back to him the same way.

I thought it was and interesting little character moment.

Darth Vile

sandiegojones said:
Did any one notice the little hat moments with Indy and Dovchenko?

I noticed that in the warehouse scene after Indy's done with the gunpowder that he flips the hat back to Dovchenko behind him without looking and then later in the Russian camp after Indy has looked into the skull and they bring Indy out to the campfire that Dovchecnko tosses Indy's hat back to him the same way.

I thought it was and interesting little character moment.

Yep - got that too. Nice subtle moment...

The Man

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i89d2099dbe2c2712bff78d01fdbefdc1

Paramount scored big on the national home video sales chart for the week ending Oct. 19, with "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" debuting at No. 1 and "Iron Man" still perched at No. 2 its third week in stores.

"Crystal Skull" sold significantly fewer copies in its first week in stores than did "Iron Man," according to Nielsen. Then again, the latest Marvel Comics superhero movie has been nothing short of a phenomenon on home video, fueled in part by record-breaking sales on Blu-ray.

James

Paramount scored big on the national home video sales chart for the week ending Oct. 19, with "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" debuting at No. 1 and "Iron Man" still perched at No. 2 its third week in stores.

My local stores were pretty much wiped out on Tuesday.

But a third sequel doesn't just make money for the studio through its dvd sales alone. It also works as a powerful marketing tool for the entire catalogue. On that note, I wonder how many copies it allowed them to sell of the first three films- both in May and last week?

Ignatius Stone

Picked it up last week... A decent transfer, good picture & audio.
Special features were perhaps a little scant, but on the whole a generally good package.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
So it is true. I either have to order (because as I learned today the big stores in Frankfurt don't have it) the set that goes with an ugly plastic crystal skull for 40 bucks ... or need to buy a Blu-Ray player in order to watch the extras (2nd disc) for this damn movie.

I know it's pathetic. But I was so incredibly furious when I left the store today. The peruvian band on the street was the only thing that kept me from turning big and green.

Crack that whip

torao said:
So it is true. I either have to order (because as I learned today the big stores in Frankfurt don't have it) the set that goes with an ugly plastic crystal skull for 40 bucks ... or need to buy a Blu-Ray player in order to watch the extras (2nd disc) for this damn movie.

Just so I understand (forgive me if this sounds like I'm missing something obvious; what it sounds like you're saying is just kind of unusual, from my perspective over here), do you mean the special edition (two discs, lots of supplements) isn't widely available in stores where you're at, and that it's available only either on DVD with the sculpture (i.e., not just the two discs without the skull) or on Blu-ray?

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Crack that whip said:
Just so I understand (forgive me if this sounds like I'm missing something obvious; what it sounds like you're saying is just kind of unusual, from my perspective over here), do you mean the special edition (two discs, lots of supplements) isn't widely available in stores where you're at, and that it's available only either on DVD with the sculpture (i.e., not just the two discs without the skull) or on Blu-ray?

Now it's getting embarassing. lol I had already typed in my "yes" as an answer to your question when I checked out the amazon listing for a second time and saw that there IS the normal DVD special edition.
I knew I shouldn't trust the words of a Saturn employe.
It's still kinda weird that there's no review for it up at amazon and you can't order it from their store directly*.
Sorry for the confusion. I may need some sleep.

*Also the sale ranking is #3.697 while the one-disc edition which goes for just 8.99€ ("whoa" indeed) ranks at #1.

Last edited:

Agent Z

Ignatius Stone said:
Special features were perhaps a little scant, but on the whole a generally good package.

The 2-Disc Special Features are some of the best I have seen...and I am usually critical of fluff pieces. So much behind the scenes goodness.

To each their own though....