TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
Raiders112390
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,038
Are/were the Batman fans responsible for a lot of the hate?

I remember a lot of the Dark Knight fans like truly hating Indiana Jones before KOTCS even came out, and many were skewering it before it came out, and a lot of the DK fanboys and hipster types happened to be the writers on many of the popular opinion influencing sites like CHUD and the others, along with the "Nuke the fridge" stuff on IMDB by a lot of the Dark Knight fanboys.

Do you think they had anything to do with how it's hip to consider KOTCS the "worst film of all time"? They seemed to want to destroy IJ even before KOTCS came out.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
Mickiana
IndyFan
 
Mickiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,187
I think CS was its own worst enemy. There's not one group out there responsible for the way the movie was received. The movie is responsible for the way it was received.
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
WillKill4Food
IndyFan
 
WillKill4Food's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York City, the Big Apple
Posts: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
They seemed to want to destroy IJ even before KOTCS came out.
What? It's 2011. Why are you speculating about the past? I could call myself a DK fanboy, but I wanted KOTCS to be awesome. It's not my fault that it wasn't.

If the film had just come out, I might understand why this is still being discussed. Move on, folks.
WillKill4Food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
The Drifter
IndyFan
 
The Drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
Posts: 4,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
If the film had just come out, I might understand why this is still being discussed. Move on, folks.

Maybe it's being discussed because this is a message board devoted to Indiana Jones?
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
WillKill4Food
IndyFan
 
WillKill4Food's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York City, the Big Apple
Posts: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drifter
Maybe it's being discussed because this is a message board devoted to Indiana Jones?
So? There are like fifteen different threads on essentially the same topic. And this thread is especially bizarre. I don't see any relation between DK 'fanboys' and KOTCS haters. Maybe there's some overlap, because people who like the Dark Knight have a better taste in film? I don't know. If I was like, "Do you think some people criticize Temple of Doom because Romancing the Stone came out that same year?" you'd be like, "What?" because it makes no sense.

There's no conspiracy afoot to make people hate KOTCS. To misquote Mickiana, "People think KOTCS sucks because it does."
WillKill4Food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:57 PM   #6
JP Jones
IndyFan
 
JP Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Space between Spaces
Posts: 638
This Dark Knight fan happens to love KotCS more than anyone here... Guaranteed!
JP Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:09 AM   #7
Mickiana
IndyFan
 
Mickiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,187
Yes, in a way I suppose I was saying that people thought CS sucks because it does. But I don't mind the many various ways we here at the raven come up with to say how it does suck. It implies how much we wish it didn't suck.
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
Darth Vile
IndyFan
 
Darth Vile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
I remember a lot of the Dark Knight fans like truly hating Indiana Jones before KOTCS even came out, and many were skewering it before it came out, and a lot of the DK fanboys and hipster types happened to be the writers on many of the popular opinion influencing sites like CHUD and the others, along with the "Nuke the fridge" stuff on IMDB by a lot of the Dark Knight fanboys.

Do you think they had anything to do with how it's hip to consider KOTCS the "worst film of all time"? They seemed to want to destroy IJ even before KOTCS came out.

Regardless of KOTCS strengths/weaknesses (and it has them in abundance), like it or not, it was a generally well received movie. I don't really see anything else out there to suggest otherwise.

As far as 'fanboys' (or general fandom communities) are concerned, I'm not sure I'd put that much credence in anyone who was so vitriolic with their dislike of an Indiana Jones movie. All I can say is show me a person who thinks KOTCS, TOD (or a Star Wars prequel) is one of the worst movies ever made, and I'll show you a person who doesn't actually know that much about movies, or the cultural significance. I certainly think you could hold up KOTCS (or any other Indy movie) as an example of American capitalist cinema, an output of the industrialisation (dare I say bastardisation) of the art form... but as an example of empirically bad movie making? Nah, not a chance...
Darth Vile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:27 AM   #9
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 8,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiana
I think CS was its own worst enemy. There's not one group out there responsible for the way the movie was received. The movie is responsible for the way it was received.
Very true, Mickiana, and I agree but can (sort of) understand what Raiders11239029846297 is talking about. His ultimate question concerns the hatred being "hip". Outside of hardcore super-hero/sci-fi geek circles, where is "Skull" hatred hip? Average audiences may have been disappointed but they don't carry on whining & perpetuating the hatred 3 years later. (Unlike HeckleVision in The Haters Thread.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
I don't see any relation between DK 'fanboys' and KOTCS haters.
In a larger view, the relation isn't necessarily confined to "Da Dark Klown" Lovers but 'fanboys' in general (whatever that term is supposed to mean). After "Skull" was released, MANY people on this board were comparing it to the clown movie. Why? What does one have to do with the other? Large numbers of people joined The Raven only to shoot down "Skull" & glorify Batmuffin...never to be heard from again.

Above, you mentioned that folks should "move on"...Agreed, especially since the general viewing public of Indy 4 isn't aware of the term, "Nuking the Fridge"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
Maybe there's some overlap, because people who like the Dark Knight have a better taste in film?
I'm not a "Skull" defender but I DESPISE the clown/bat movie. Does this mean my taste in film is inferior?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drifter
Maybe it's being discussed because this is a message board devoted to Indiana Jones?
During 2008, The Raven could have easily been considered a message board devoted to Duh Dark Klown which is why I'm dreading the release of the upcoming "Batmuffin Rises" flick.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:00 AM   #10
Mickiana
IndyFan
 
Mickiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,187
It's true that the only haters out there would have derived from that section of the community called hardcore fans, such as we Raveners. I won't call them groups as the individuals are too disparate. But the Haters must be a small contingent. To exercise such an extreme emotional reaction to a movie shows an imbalance in their minds. It would be better if they were just normal hardcore fans and learn to logically express their disappointment.
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #11
kongisking
IndyFan
 
kongisking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Skull Island
Posts: 3,022
This is something I definitely have thought about. I remember saying on this site at one point something along the lines of "have deep, psychological films like The Dark Knight ruined our ability to simply have fun at the movies?" Now, don't get me wrong; I love complex, dark, intricately plotted storytelling, and that is why Mr. Nolan is one of my heroes. But that being said, I definitely have my days when I'd like nothing more than to watch a silly, entertaining popcorn flick, the kind that Berg is so damn good at. And KOTCS was just that for me.

I think now would be an appropriate time to say, "Why So Serious?" in regard to our attitudes towards movies.
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:33 AM   #12
The Drifter
IndyFan
 
The Drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
Posts: 4,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
During 2008, The Raven could have easily been considered a message board devoted to Duh Dark Klown which is why I'm dreading the release of the upcoming "Batmuffin Rises" flick.

Yes, I remember that.
I'm not a fan of the Batman films. I haven't even watched The Dark Knight.
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #13
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
After "Skull" was released, MANY people on this board were comparing it to the clown movie. Why? What does one have to do with the other? Large numbers of people joined The Raven only to shoot down "Skull" & glorify Batmuffin...never to be heard from again.

That is a confusing stance, since the two movies are really poles apart. And The Dark Knight wasn't really anything like Raiders either, even if the latter was often more serious in tone than KOTCS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
I'm not a "Skull" defender but I DESPISE the clown/bat movie. Does this mean my taste in film is inferior?

Yes!

Er, no, of course not. Taste is taste, and if it weren't we'd all be wearing identical boiler suits. Until one day one of us spoke up and started a revolt. Oh, wrong movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Raiders112390
Do you think they had anything to do with how it's hip to consider KOTCS the "worst film of all time"? They seemed to want to destroy IJ even before KOTCS came out.

It's very often the media who gang up to skewer something. Having a target for controversy (especially when a film has been long-awaited) makes for energetic press. Then it becomes trendy to perpetuate the view, without perhaps even passing a considered personal judgement of the work in question. The media attempts to direct its readers or listeners, to form a judgement on their behalf. Negative campaigns are often louder than positive ones, since controversy and bad news attract more interest than good news stories. (There are, of course exceptions to the rule).

Last edited by Montana Smith : 04-25-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:29 PM   #14
kongisking
IndyFan
 
kongisking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Skull Island
Posts: 3,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Very true, Mickiana, and I agree but can (sort of) understand what Raiders11239029846297 is talking about. His ultimate question concerns the hatred being "hip". Outside of hardcore super-hero/sci-fi geek circles, where is "Skull" hatred hip? Average audiences may have been disappointed but they don't carry on whining & perpetuating the hatred 3 years later. (Unlike HeckleVision in The Haters Thread.)
In a larger view, the relation isn't necessarily confined to "Da Dark Klown" Lovers but 'fanboys' in general (whatever that term is supposed to mean). After "Skull" was released, MANY people on this board were comparing it to the clown movie. Why? What does one have to do with the other? Large numbers of people joined The Raven only to shoot down "Skull" & glorify Batmuffin...never to be heard from again.

Above, you mentioned that folks should "move on"...Agreed, especially since the general viewing public of Indy 4 isn't aware of the term, "Nuking the Fridge"...
I'm not a "Skull" defender but I DESPISE the clown/bat movie. Does this mean my taste in film is inferior?
During 2008, The Raven could have easily been considered a message board devoted to Duh Dark Klown which is why I'm dreading the release of the upcoming "Batmuffin Rises" flick.

I really shouldn't comment on this, because I might start a pro-Nolan rant that may never stop...
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #15
WillKill4Food
IndyFan
 
WillKill4Food's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York City, the Big Apple
Posts: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
I'm not a "Skull" defender but I DESPISE the clown/bat movie. Does this mean my taste in film is inferior?
It's a distinct possibility. I'd have to know your reasons first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiana
To exercise such an extreme emotional reaction to a movie shows an imbalance in their minds.
It seems to me that the same could be said for people who ardently defend a film when not provoked into doing so.

I loved The Dark Knight (the batmuffin? really? ), but it has its flaws just as any other film does. And if someone hates it, that's their prerogative. I don't know why KotCS would be any different.

Discussing films might not be as productive as discussing politics or religion (or depending on who you're talking to, discussing politics and religion may be less productive), but its still worthwhile to have the conversation, instead of spinning bizarre scenarios to explain the fan reaction. Embittered, Raiders112390 seems to be "clinging to his guns and the bullwhip" rather dogmatically.

Accusing Nolan fans of churning the KotCS hatred seems ridiculous. They're two completely different movies, and I don't know why that your opinion of one would necessarily be connected to your opinion of the other, except that TDK is, to a good majority of people, the better film. Roger Ebert enjoyed both, because, like Kong says, one is meant to be a drama/thriller and the other is a relaxing popcorn flik.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
During 2008, The Raven could have easily been considered a message board devoted to Duh Dark Klown...?
So what?
WillKill4Food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #16
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
I really shouldn't comment on this, because I might start a pro-Nolan rant that may never stop...

We could make it stop.

I think all it would take is for one of us to post a picture of a scantily clad Amy Adams...

Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #17
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 8,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiana
To exercise such an extreme emotional reaction to a movie shows an imbalance in their minds.
Agreed and anyone who attends those HeckleVision screenings of "Skull" needs a reality check. It's just a movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drifter
I'm not a fan of the Batman films. I haven't even watched The Dark Knight.
Good for you, Drifter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
That is a confusing stance, since the two movies are really poles apart. And The Dark Knight wasn't really anything like Raiders either, even if the latter was often more serious in tone than KOTCS.
Confusing indeed but it was all too common. They came in droves and then left...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
It's a distinct possibility. I'd have to know your reasons first.
Right. It's 'a distinct possibility' that "Duh Dark Knight" fans' taste in film is better than mine because they like it and I don't. Like Montana said, 'Taste is taste'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
(the batmuffin? really? ),
Yes, really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
So what?
Would you join a Batman forum to shoot down Batman and gush about Indy?
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:06 PM   #18
WillKill4Food
IndyFan
 
WillKill4Food's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York City, the Big Apple
Posts: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Right. It's 'a distinct possibility' that "Duh Dark Knight" fans' taste in film is better than mine because they like it and I don't. Like Montana said, 'Taste is taste'.
Right, right. If I prefer Stephanie Meyer to William Faulkner, well, taste is taste, in a vacuum separate from the intellectual value of the subject, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Would you join a Batman forum to shoot down Batman and gush about Indy?
If I were a member of a Batman forum circa 1997, I imagine that I would criticize the camp of Batman and Robin, yes. I would have every reason to. And if there was an off-topic session, I may talk about Indiana Jones.

However, I would make a point of not childishly whining about Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal MacMuffin because other members chose to talk about the films that interest them in the appropriate forum for doing so.
WillKill4Food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #19
ROLLERBALL
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 62
I think with KOTCS everyone wanted Indy back on top. The Raiders films led the way in action adventure films. In Indy's absence a lot of new action films came and showed some spectacular action. When the fourth film came along I think everyone expected Spielberg to show them how an action film should be made.
I remember a review in which the reviewer enjoyed the film, but said that it was remarkably- unremarkable.
Thats the way i felt. I wanted Indy back in a big way. But a lot of films including The Dark Knight were more um.. remarkable

Still loved having Indy back though

Last edited by Violet : 04-26-2011 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Double post- two consective posts by the same member- next time please use the edit button.
ROLLERBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #20
WillKill4Food
IndyFan
 
WillKill4Food's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York City, the Big Apple
Posts: 1,508
Listen to this dude criticizing KotCS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
The whole idea of playing on Indy's age is kind of stupid when you consider the fridge scene. He's either an older man who isn't as strong as he once was and whom time is leaving behind, or he's an invincible superhero who can survive nuclear explosions without nary a scratch. You can't have it both ways.

Must be a Dark Knight fanboy...


Also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Above, you mentioned that folks should "move on"...Agreed, especially since the general viewing public of Indy 4 isn't aware of the term, "Nuking the Fridge"...
Do you think Cosby show fans are responsible for the term "jumping the shark"?

[Bill Cosby... The Dark Howard Cunningham.]
WillKill4Food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:15 AM   #21
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 8,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by =WillKill4Food
Do you think Cosby show fans are responsible for the term "jumping the shark"?
1) I never said that "Dark Klown" fans were responsible for the term, "nuking the fridge". What I said was that the general public is not aware of it. Outside of super-hero/sci-fi/fantasy film geek circles, who uses that phrase?

2) This is a very, poor analogy because "Happy Days" ended before "The Cosby Show" began. Fonzie jumped a shark *7* years before "The Cosby Show". Personally, I had never heard the phrase until the early '90s, some 15 years after the actual episode (and I'm a fan of "Happy Days"). "Nuke the Fridge" was coined and for sale on a T-shirt within a month or two of Indy 4's release.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
Right, right. If I prefer Stephanie Meyer to William Faulkner, well, taste is taste, in a vacuum separate from the intellectual value of the subject, eh?
So, not only do people who dislike The Clown Movie have an inferior taste in film but they are intellectually vacuous, too? Thanks for enlightening me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
If I were a member of a Batman forum circa 1997, I imagine that I would criticize the camp of Batman and Robin, yes. I would have every reason to. And if there was an off-topic session, I may talk about Indiana Jones.

However, I would make a point of not childishly whining about Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal MacMuffin because other members chose to talk about the films that interest them in the appropriate forum for doing so.
Erm...1997? I was talking about 2008, a time when the Batman stuff was not confined to only the 'Films' section of The Raven. People were comparing "Skull" to The Clown Movie in the Indy 4 forum, starting Batman games in the 'Games' section, posting pictures of themselves dressed as the Joker, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
Accusing Nolan fans of churning the KotCS hatred seems ridiculous. They're two completely different movies, and I don't know why that your opinion of one would necessarily be connected to your opinion of the other,
Neither you nor I understand it but a large number of people did connect the 2 movies. If you had a time machine, you go could back to 2008 to ask all the fly-by-night folks who posted at The Raven and made the comparisons. Rest assured, Indy 4 WASN'T being compared to "Iron Man", "Hancock", "Quantam of Solace" or "Kung Fu Panda".
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
Listen to this dude criticizing KotCS!

Must be a Dark Knight fanboy...
In Raiders112390567308's defence: Don't confuse criticism with hatred because they are not the same.

Obviously, not every "Dark Knight" fan is a "Skull" hater but it's a good bet that the most "Skull" HATERS are "Dark Knight" lovers.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:41 AM   #22
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,616
We might be able to break this down to some sort of analogy.

If you were a fan of Batman as he appeared in the '80s or '90s comics, then you would probably have appreciated Nolan's harder take on the character.

If you were a fan of Indy as he appeared in Raiders then you might not have appreciated Lucas and Spielberg's take on the character in KOTCS.

It could simply be a case of one director hitting the right note with a character and his environment, and another missing it. Personally, The Dark Knight captures my imagination better than KOTCS. The former was more completely in tune with my idea of where the main character, his companions and his enemies should be. Even the stunts were more impressive. It could have been Indy swinging out of the way of a truck flipping end over end, rather than dropping over three waterfalls.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:02 AM   #23
WillKill4Food
IndyFan
 
WillKill4Food's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York City, the Big Apple
Posts: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
What I said was that the general public is not aware of it.
Really? With the ellipses and all, I mistook that for sarcasm. I thought it was a pretty common phrase. I've heard non-geeky friends use it (but at the university I attend, maybe it would be disingenuous to say that anyone I know isn't at least a little geeky).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
2) This is a very, poor analogy because "Happy Days" ended before "The Cosby Show" began. Fonzie jumped a shark *7* years before "The Cosby Show".
They're both sitcoms and both were aired on Nick-At-Nite and TV Land around the same time when I was growing up in the early nineties. The point was that it's ridiculous to accuse fans of one show for the criticism of another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
So, not only do people who dislike The Clown Movie have an inferior taste in film but they are intellectually vacuous, too? Thanks for enlightening me!
I was comparing these two very different films to two very different authors. You don't have to love TDK to be intelligent, and Lord knows I don't like all of Faulkner's work. The point was that taste is not just taste. Surely you don't think that tweens who read Twilight have an equally valid taste in literature as those on the Nobel committee?
Also, you have yet to give your reasons for hating TDK. What merits of the film do you find inferior? If you just don't like superhero movies, then your criticism is probably irrelevant. I don't like rom-coms or rap music, so I don't criticize either when people bring them up in conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo Pigeon
Erm...1997? I was talking about 2008, a time when the Batman stuff was not confined to only the 'Films' section of The Raven.
Yeah, I had to go a decade back to find a crappy Batman film. The point was that if I was a member of a Batman fan site and the newest Batman film sucked, I would say it sucked. And if an Indiana Jones film came out that bested it, I would have no problem with people talking about that Indiana Jones film if it was in the Off Topic section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
People were comparing "Skull" to The Clown Movie in the Indy 4 forum, starting Batman games in the 'Games' section, posting pictures of themselves dressed as the Joker, etc.
So what??? Is this jealousy on your part? I for one am not a fan of threads like "Can we get Indy around the globe?" but if others enjoy it, why would I complain? Oh, but it's about Indy, at least, you'll say.

Well so what? Why do we have an Off Topic section in the first place? I for one like to hear what people who like Indiana Jones think about other movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
Neither you nor I understand it but a large number of people did connect the 2 movies. If you had a time machine, you go could back to 2008 to ask all the fly-by-night folks who posted at The Raven and made the comparisons. Rest assured, Indy 4 WASN'T being compared to "Iron Man", "Hancock", "Quantam of Solace" or "Kung Fu Panda".
Because TDK was a big film that year. Both of them focus on adventurers (of a sort, this would more of an Alan Moore application of the word) who help people and face bizarre villains. I can see the James Bond similarities as well, and I bet people compared those. I doubt that many people posted on here just to criticize Indy 4 and gush about TDK. Find one example of someone who did this.

My biggest issue is with this claim:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders1123905673081231823801283916723710273123
They seemed to want to destroy IJ even before KOTCS came out.
That's ridiculous. Until KotCS, it seemed like everyone loved Indiana Jones. Last Crusade, which is a lot of Raveners' least favorites, is on IMDB's top 250 somewhere around 100, I believe. KotCS received the shellacking after people saw it. Not before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
In Raiders112390567308's defence: Don't confuse criticism with hatred because they are not the same.
He's allowed to conflate the two, so why can't I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Obviously, not every "Dark Knight" fan is a "Skull" hater but it's a good bet that the most "Skull" HATERS are "Dark Knight" lovers.
That's unfair. KotCS haters and Dark Knight fans are both far more common than KotCS lovers and Dark Knight haters.

I bet most Twilight fans have never even picked up Absalom, Absalom!
WillKill4Food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:44 AM   #24
Darth Vile
IndyFan
 
Darth Vile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
I was comparing these two very different films to two very different authors. You don't have to love TDK to be intelligent, and Lord knows I don't like all of Faulkner's work. The point was that taste is not just taste. Surely you don't think that tweens who read Twilight have an equally valid taste in literature as those on the Nobel committee?
Not sure what your point is here Will??? Are you stating that ‘taste’ is an attribute only available to an intellectual few? I have many friends who think that the Batman (yes- including TDK) and Indiana Jones movies are fine examples of ‘low brow’ culture made to be consumed by the feckless masses. Are they right? Does that mean, by default, we have no taste for liking Indiana Jones and Batman movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
Also, you have yet to give your reasons for hating TDK. What merits of the film do you find inferior? If you just don't like superhero movies, then your criticism is probably irrelevant. I don't like rom-coms or rap music, so I don't criticize either when people bring them up in conversation.
I personally found TDK to be overblown, pompous and emotionally un-engaging. I appreciated it (although I much prefer Batman Begins by the way) and I think Nolan is a very talented director… However, in my opinion, I find Tim Burton’s Batman and Batman Returns to be more inspired, imaginative, and a better example of how a comic book character (in this case Batman) can be translated to the big screen.


Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
Because TDK was a big film that year. Both of them focus on adventurers (of a sort, this would more of an Alan Moore application of the word) who help people and face bizarre villains. I can see the James Bond similarities as well, and I bet people compared those. I doubt that many people posted on here just to criticize Indy 4 and gush about TDK. Find one example of someone who did this.
Whilst TDK and KOTCS are completely different movies, they are contemporary to each other... and involve a fair bit of 'action'. I think the comparisons are natural, even if unhelpful in determining which is the better movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
That's ridiculous. Until KotCS, it seemed like everyone loved Indiana Jones. Last Crusade, which is a lot of Raveners' least favorites, is on IMDB's top 250 somewhere around 100, I believe. KotCS received the shellacking after people saw it. Not before.
Firstly, I’m not sure how true that is. Even here, in some sections, the criticisms started way before the movie was released. I remember arguments/debates about Indy’s hat and jacket looking too clean in publicity shots… etc. etc. That was a good indication of the level of minutiae that was to be examined over the following weeks/months. Secondly, I’d be wary of IMDB and Empire Magazine rankings. It’s a bit like asking McDonalds to poll their customers for opinions on the world’s best cuisine.

Also - seemed to me that the “shellacking” came from a minority who had both genuine and misplaced gripes. However, (as I posted on a TOD topic) a couple of years after the event, even the BBC is putting KOTCS on par with TOD (of course whether that’s positive depends on your opinion of TOD).
Darth Vile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:24 AM   #25
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 8,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
Really? With the ellipses and all, I mistook that for sarcasm. I thought it was a pretty common phrase. I've heard non-geeky friends use it (but at the university I attend, maybe it would be disingenuous to say that anyone I know isn't at least a little geeky).
Your link is to a 2008 fluff article about that year's buzzwords. Tomorrow, go stop an average man/woman or guy/girl on the street and ask him/her if they know what "nuking the fridge" is supposed to mean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
Also, you have yet to give your reasons for hating TDK. What merits of the film do you find inferior? If you just don't like superhero movies, then your criticism is probably irrelevant.
I won't bother posting my reasons for not liking The Clown Movie because it would lead the topic astray (and would be a bigger waste of time than commenting on this thread has already been).
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
Yeah, I had to go a decade back to find a crappy Batman film. The point was that if I was a member of a Batman fan site and the newest Batman film sucked, I would say it sucked. And if an Indiana Jones film came out that bested it, I would have no problem with people talking about that Indiana Jones film if it was in the Off Topic section.
You don't need to go back a decade to find a crappy Batman film because they are all terrible. In 2008, how many Indy fans joined BATMAN FORUMS and compared "Dark Knight" to "Skull", posted photos of themselves dressed as Spalko or Dovchenko, started Indy games, etc.?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
So what??? Is this jealousy on your part? I for one am not a fan of threads like "Can we get Indy around the globe?" but if others enjoy it, why would I complain? Oh, but it's about Indy, at least, you'll say.
"Jealousy"? No, sorry. (The "Indy around the globe" has ZERO relevance to this conversation.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
Well so what? Why do we have an Off Topic section in the first place? I for one like to hear what people who like Indiana Jones think about other movies.
You're avoiding the point. In 2008, many termites came out of the woodwork to join The Raven in order to say that "Skull" was garbage but "Dark Knight" was the best film ever made. (Spielberg should have taken lessons from Nolan, etc.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
Because TDK was a big film that year. Both of them focus on adventurers (of a sort, this would more of an Alan Moore application of the word) who help people and face bizarre villains.
FLIP-FLOP! According to you: "They're two completely different movies". Now, you're attempting to show how they are similar...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
I doubt that many people posted on here just to criticize Indy 4 and gush about TDK. Find one example of someone who did this.
LOADS of people did. (Off the top of my head: Agent Spalko, The Man and a plethora of forgettable chumps.) If you want more examples, go look for yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
KotCS haters and Dark Knight fans are both far more common than KotCS lovers and Dark Knight haters.
D'uh! You basically repeated what I wrote. Congratulations, WillKill! You've proven the original point of Raiders1123905673081231823801283916723710273123!

Last edited by Stoo : 04-26-2011 at 04:30 AM.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 PM.