TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: Are you glad the film was made?
Yes 27 61.36%
No 12 27.27%
Indifferent or Neutral 5 11.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2008, 07:40 AM   #51
indyclone25
IndyFan

WOW! you know all of you have your opinoins on the film i applaud you for that but really , i'm so tired of you endlessly prattling on about it --- i see people complianing here on comingsoon.net and other sites --- and i just think that maybe you will never be happy --- it's just a movie , sure it won't be as great as raiders , nothing will , but it the same people in a few weeks will say that the dark knight sucks because of the actors suckee portrayal--- or that x-file will be bad cause it has "aliens" quit complaing and just chat about good things --- i'm sure you parent s always said " if you don't have anthing nice to say , don't say anything at all " i by the way like kotcs , there that what i have to say about that !
indyclone25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:17 PM   #52
eshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyclone25
WOW! you know all of you have your opinoins on the film i applaud you for that but really , i'm so tired of you endlessly prattling on about it --- i see people complianing here on comingsoon.net and other sites --- and i just think that maybe you will never be happy --- it's just a movie , sure it won't be as great as raiders , nothing will , but it the same people in a few weeks will say that the dark knight sucks because of the actors suckee portrayal--- or that x-file will be bad cause it has "aliens" quit complaing and just chat about good things --- i'm sure you parent s always said " if you don't have anthing nice to say , don't say anything at all " i by the way like kotcs , there that what i have to say about that !
This is why I am now in LOVE with the ignore feature of this board
eshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:32 PM   #53
FILMKRUSC
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
The ideal of Indy 4 was always worth pursuing, but overall, they should not have made it as it is. A decade of script wrangling...for this?!

It would have been better if they made KOTCS into a good film - an Indiana Jones Film.

Mac is Indy's Friend. Mac isn't Indy's Friend. Mac is Indy's Friend. Mac isn't Indy's Friend. Mac is Indy's Friend. Mac isn't Indy's Friend.
FILMKRUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:34 PM   #54
Agent Spalko

Mac and Cheese.

Agent Spalko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #55
motifone
IndyFan

Sucked

The movie sucked, period. And PLENTY of people think this. Rarely do I find a friend or coworker who enjoyed it. I'm a big fan of Raiders, and enjoy Doom and Crusade. KOTCS is nothing more than average to below average at best.

Great movies hit home on first viewing. This isn't a genre that requires multiple viewings to admire and appreciate nuances of character and plot. It's action.

Cough syrup is nasty on the first gulp, not quite as nasty on the second or third ... but it's still nasty. A couple months have passed, and the film was utterly forgettable. It's sad really.

George and Steve are simply not what they used to be.

By the way, I'm not expecting a carbon copy of Raiders. But I'm tired of people saying a new Indy film can't be as good as Raiders, in its own way. To say a sequel cannot be as good as the original is the biggest copout. There's plenty that pull it off (Aliens, T2, Godfather 2) -- it's just not easy to do and is rare, but it can be done with the right mix of talent.
motifone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:37 PM   #56
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by motifone
Great movies hit home on first viewing. This isn't a genre that requires multiple viewings to admire and appreciate nuances of character and plot. It's action.

I completely disagree with everything you just said, but especially this.

There are a lot of great movies that you can have growing appreciation for in multiple viewings, ESPECIALLY action movies. Action happens fast and in several cases need repeat viewings or just time to let it all sink in to completely form your own opinion on the film.
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:39 PM   #57
Agent Spalko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Eye
There are a lot of great movies that you can have growing appreciation for in multiple viewings, ESPECIALLY action movies. Action happens fast and in several cases need repeat viewings or just time to let it all sink in to completely form your own opinion on the film.

Or not...

Agent Spalko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #58
jamiestarr
IndyFan

The movie sucked, period. And PLENTY of people think this. Rarely do I find a friend or coworker who enjoyed it. I'm a big fan of Raiders, and enjoy Doom and Crusade. KOTCS is nothing more than average to below average at best.

It is pretty much your god given right to dislike anything and voice your opinion about it. You didn't like Crystal Skull? Fine. However, stating your opinion and pretending that it is fact, or worse yet a universal truth that we all share, is what sucks... period. Rarely do I find a friend or coworker who disliked the new Indy film--so what?

Lots of people enjoyed Crystal Skull, and I am sure others did not. The same could be said about most movies ever made. Believe it or not, I had a girlfriend who slept through Raiders of the Lost Ark. We broke up shortly afterwards.
jamiestarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:45 PM   #59
eshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by motifone

Cough syrup is nasty on the first gulp, not quite as nasty on the second or third ... but it's still nasty. A couple months have passed, and the film was utterly forgettable. It's sad really.

George and Steve are simply not what they used to be.

By the way, I'm not expecting a carbon copy of Raiders. But I'm tired of people saying a new Indy film can't be as good as Raiders, in its own way. To say a sequel cannot be as good as the original is the biggest copout. There's plenty that pull it off (Aliens, T2, Godfather 2) -- it's just not easy to do and is rare, but it can be done with the right mix of talent.
I enjoyed the movie from the first viewing, and each subsequent viewing.

I can't think of a freind or coworker who did not enjoy this fun popcorn flick - in fact, many of them said it was the best of the sequals or at least better than TOD.

I guess you and I live in two different worlds.
eshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #60
motifone
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Eye
I completely disagree with everything you just said, but especially this.

There are a lot of great movies that you can have growing appreciation for in multiple viewings, ESPECIALLY action movies. Action happens fast and in several cases need repeat viewings or just time to let it all sink in to completely form your own opinion on the film.[/quote]

Well, we'll just have to disagree then.

Let's say you see a film and love it. You repeatedly watch the film to appreciate it more -- to relive the experience, to discover new layers, etc. I'll buy that.

Verses...

You see a film and, in your gut, are disappointed. You decide to watch it over and over again until you bash your gut instincts into submission and eventually give the film a thumbs up. That's fanboy-ism at its best. No one else in their right mind would pay to see a mediocre film twice. Things are rarely as bad the second time around, that doesn't make it good. Great films hit the home run on first viewing and you go to see it again and again to appreciate it.

I see this again and again on these boards "Hey, I watched the film for a second time today... and it wasn't so bad!" Who shells out money to see a film they first thought was mediocre twice? Fanboys, and that's who are defending this film.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:57 PM   #61
motifone
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiestarr

It is pretty much your god given right to dislike anything and voice your opinion about it. You didn't like Crystal Skull? Fine. However, stating your opinion and pretending that it is fact, or worse yet a universal truth that we all share, is what sucks... period. Rarely do I find a friend or coworker who disliked the new Indy film--so what?

Lots of people enjoyed Crystal Skull, and I am sure others did not. The same could be said about most movies ever made. Believe it or not, I had a girlfriend who slept through Raiders of the Lost Ark. We broke up shortly afterwards.

Do we all really have to type that something is "my opinion" everytime. Of course it's my opinion. Nobody on this board is right, nobody is wrong. Stating my point of view, and mine alone.

Sounds like you were right to dump the girl though.

Last edited by motifone : 07-11-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:43 PM   #62
Walton
IndyFan

Wow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
The ideal of Indy 4 was always worth pursuing, but overall, they should not have made it as it is. A decade of script wrangling...for this?!

I know I'm taking us back to the beginning with this quote, but WOW. That's accurate! I've read 4 of the scripts. KOTCS is the best of all of them...but it is also practically plagarism. Darabont's script featured several of the key scenes in KOTCS including a Hangar 51 opening, the rocket sled escape, and the Doom Town sequence (which appears on screen with only minor changes). GL's history with script drafts (research the history of Star Wars if you want to debate the point) is such that parts of earlier drafts survive to the end. But there are times - in my opinion - where you have to scrap everything and run fresh. KOTCS seems uneven, and I think that's the root problem: parts from prior drafts were force-fitted into place. It shows. DK borrowed too much from FD.
Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:56 PM   #63
muttjones
IndyFan

Location: Australia (The only place Indy hasn't visited yet!)
this thread hasnt really helped i see...

i just thought that people have been whining and complaining about how sh!t KOTCS is that when asked whether they would rather have it be made or not that your true decision would really be shown.
sadly i've started a thread that has more whining and complaining.
im tired of this lets start talking about the good things of KOTCS.
can a mod close my thread?
muttjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:57 PM   #64
James
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walton
DK borrowed too much from FD.

The prologue basically came from the "Saucermen" script, though.

And ultimately, Lucas is the one who came up with all the main elements: Area 51, Roswell, Rocket sled, Doom Town, Russians, Nazca lines, Giant ants, Crystal Skull, Lost Amazonian City, etc.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:19 PM   #65
Niteshade007
IndyFan

This is a good question, and one that I have mixed feelings about. On the one hand, I am completely disappointed with the film. I won't be grateful that I got an Indy film at all, because that is completely ridiculous. Why would I mindlessly thank someone for something I hate? It's not a present at a birthday party, it's a movie, one that I paid to see, and one that I did not enjoy. At least with a bad birthday present you can always return it (unless you're like me and are no longer able to do so because Target says you've returned too many things).

On the other hand, I am grateful for the experience. Last Crusade came out when I was a year old, and I had to be taken out of the theater because I was crying. I have seen Raiders on the big screen, but I didn't think I'd see something new. The excitement and hype for the movie was something I enjoyed, and I will always remember the experience, regardless of how disappointed I was with the final product. So, is the experience enough to accept an at best mediocre film? I don't know. I could have lived without the film, but I did enjoy the build up.

Also, I don't think it'll be remembered fondly in years to come. Some argue that Temple of Doom went through the same transformation, being panned when it came out and then accepted today, but I don't see that. A lot of people I know still don't like Temple of Doom. It is their least favorite of the originals. While it has become accepted, even loved, by Indy fans, the rest of the world doesn't seem to have gone through the same transformation. I don't think KotCS will be any different. If people hate it now, they probably always will. Indy fans may grow an appreciation for it, but others will not.
Niteshade007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:23 PM   #66
Indy1986
IndyFan

i can not really make up my mind....i am grateful that they made it but i just dont understand lucas or spielberg....i mean didnt they realize that some scenes were just not right...it would have been so easier to make this movie more acceptable.....i just want Indy5 to make up for all that i really want another one....call me crazy
Indy1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:32 PM   #67
nitzsche
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niteshade007
Last Crusade came out when I was a year old, and I had to be taken out of the theater because I was crying.

That's the problem right there, then.
nitzsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:01 AM   #68
Kingsley
IndyFan

The movie gave us one great sequence (fridge included)...

Is it enough? I think so.
But as the movie nears its ending it becames less and less memorable.
Oh, I miss the riding to sunset ending from LC. I want an Indy 5 that can fix all the flaws, but it's a risky wish, I know.
Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:23 AM   #69
TheMutt92
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walton
I know I'm taking us back to the beginning with this quote, but WOW. That's accurate! I've read 4 of the scripts. KOTCS is the best of all of them...but it is also practically plagarism. Darabont's script featured several of the key scenes in KOTCS including a Hangar 51 opening, the rocket sled escape, and the Doom Town sequence (which appears on screen with only minor changes). GL's history with script drafts (research the history of Star Wars if you want to debate the point) is such that parts of earlier drafts survive to the end. But there are times - in my opinion - where you have to scrap everything and run fresh. KOTCS seems uneven, and I think that's the root problem: parts from prior drafts were force-fitted into place. It shows. DK borrowed too much from FD.

Can you call it plagarism when the scripts are all dicatated by the same man? Personally, I thought the movie was fine and just needed better execution in some spots.
TheMutt92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:10 PM   #70
Indy&HanFan
IndyFan

i'm glad they made it.
Indy&HanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:19 PM   #71
Agent Z
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzsche

Be nice...

Although, honestly, I am wondering about all those returns to Target.

Hard to please gene?

Sidenote: People return birthday presents?! I have never heard of this!
Agent Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:23 PM   #72
RaideroftheArk
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy&HanFan
i'm glad they made it.

I agree.
RaideroftheArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:54 PM   #73
mattzilla2010
IndyFan

As do I. It is a very fun movie, and left me with a big grin on my face.
mattzilla2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:03 PM   #74
Niteshade007
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzsche

Clever. I must admit I liked that you didn't just outright make fun of the fact that I was young. Much more subtle. Kudos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Z
Although, honestly, I am wondering about all those returns to Target.

Hard to please gene?

Sidenote: People return birthday presents?! I have never heard of this!

Haha, moreso in high school. I've gotten better. Honest.

And yes, sometimes shallow people will return things they don't want in order to get things they want. It makes it kind of awkward when your friend asks to borrow that DVD they bought for you...
Niteshade007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:54 AM   #75
Sankara

"Indy 4" and other unnecessary Sequels

So right...

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...y-sequels.aspx
Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote