The Remakes Game!

Stoo

|ZiR| said:
A remake could be a good thing in this case, I think.
I thought exactly the same thing after hearing about it. Good story and I'm
looking forward to seeing what the city will look like.

Just found a particularly appalling addition to the onslaught of remakes.

Rob Marshall is giving us a half-remake/ half-sequel to Fellini's masterpiece, 8 1/2. And he's turning the damned thing into a musical! And Catherine Zeta Jones and Penelope Cruz are both attached. The only blessing of all this is he's changing the title to Nine--at least it won't be directly related in a Google search or the collective conscious to the brilliant original.

Rob Marshall--you are a hack. You aren't even worthy of rubbing your face in the ****-stains of Fellini's underwear.

:mad:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
ResidentAlien said:
Just found a particularly appalling addition to the onslaught of remakes.

Rob Marshall is giving us a half-remake/ half-sequel to Fellini's masterpiece, 8 1/2. And he's turning the damned thing into a musical! And Catherine Zeta Jones and Penelope Cruz are both attached. The only blessing of all this is he's changing the title to Nine--at least it won't be directly related in a Google search or the collective conscious to the brilliant original.

Rob Marshall--you are a hack. You aren't even worthy of rubbing your face in the ****-stains of Fellini's underwear.

:mad:

Man, it's a film version of a musical based on the film. True, the only song I've seen from it, the one that's given to Saraghina, took away much of what was worthwhile about the character, but it's not as though it was his idea.

Attila the Professor said:
Man, it's a film version of a musical based on the film. True, the only song I've seen from it, the one that's given to Saraghina, took away much of what was worthwhile about the character, but it's not as though it was his idea.

So I just read a few hours ago.

But bah, still can't stand Marshall. Chicago was disgusting.

Shortie said:
If they remake Star Wars it will be. :sick:

What?

The very post before your's I said that Hidden Fortress is being remade... then you try and suggest that Star Wars is a hold-out for originality?

Star Wars is a knock-off of Hidden Fortress. Several scenes are shot-for-shot.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
ResidentAlien, I agree with you in a broad sense about remakes (not that that's a controversial position...) but I'm curious what your take is on films like Once Upon a Time in the West and Kill Bill that are clearly borrowing quite liberally from previously made films. I'm no Star Wars booster, but it's not as though it has a single source. Also, what of A Fistful of Dollars in relation to Yojimbo, as an example of a film by a master filmmaker remade in an entirely different context by another master?

Attila the Professor said:
ResidentAlien, I agree with you in a broad sense about remakes (not that that's a controversial position...) but I'm curious what your take is on films like Once Upon a Time in the West and Kill Bill that are clearly borrowing quite liberally from previously made films. I'm no Star Wars booster, but it's not as though it has a single source. Also, what of A Fistful of Dollars in relation to Yojimbo, as an example of a film by a master filmmaker remade in an entirely different context by another master?

Heh... not sure. It really depends I suppose, but I'm starting to get tired of all those Tarantino flicks (though I do love Grindhouse...). I think homage is great in moderation, but a flick like House of 1000 Corpses really bothers me because it's essentially Texas Chainsaw Massacre with a higher body count. No real originality. I've honestly never seen any of the Man With No Name films in their entirety, though I've seen excerpts of all three. So I won't really comment. I have seen that film Bruce Willis did (the name escapes me) that was Yojimbo transported to the 1920s mid-west. It was pretty terrible and devoid of any creative.

I've nothing wrong with influence and a little sly nod can all be in good fun. But I have a problem with whole scenes (or films) being transplanted to some other film. It's not clever, it's just cheap...

As for Star Wars... I don't mind it so much (though I much prefer Empire). Still, it's wrong to suggest that Star Wars is any great original work. It's a great piece of my childhood... but it's no great defining work outside of how it defined the blockbuster.

Katarn07

ResidentAlien said:
As for Star Wars... I don't mind it so much (though I much prefer Empire). Still, it's wrong to suggest that Star Wars is any great original work. It's a great piece of my childhood... but it's no great defining work outside of how it defined the blockbuster.

I'll be the first to agree about originality, but you have to understand it's something more that makes it so it can never be remade. THE FANS. We all know the backlash the Special Editions had, and all the Lucas did was "enhance" them, for better or worse depending on the scene he screwed with. Can you imagine the reaction people would have if someone were to remake the original trilogy? New cast, new set design, possible reimaginings, etc. People would not stand for it, so it wouldn't be done.

Of course, I shouldn't say it'll never happen. Look at Star Trek 11. That's got the original crew being recast and it'll probably get a bit of a reimagining in hopes of rebooting the franchise. Let's see how that well that goes over. If it's successful, than who knows what will be done with Star Wars in the future?

Vendetta08

I've said this before, I love the original Star Wars, but I don't think it holds up today. There's no longer anything special about it. The one that still has that "great" factor is Empire Strikes Back. The original is still very fun, but I wouldn't call it a great movie.

As for remakes, I hear Hollywood is now remaking Grease. I loved the original and think another version could work, this is a remake I am looking forward to.

deckard24

Looks like the Escape from New York remake has been temporarily canned. Gerard Butler's out, and they've gone through two directors who've now backed out. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I like Butler and I was interested in seeing the direction they could go with it. It's too bad they didn't get Zach Snyder(300) to direct and give it a hard R rating!

deckard24 said:
Looks like the Escape from New York remake has been temporarily canned. Gerard Butler's out, and they've gone through two directors who've now backed out. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I like Butler and I was interested in seeing the direction they could go with it. It's too bad they didn't get Zach Snyder(300) to direct and give it a hard R rating!

Thank god! Oh man, I was really miffed over that remake--I love Carpenter, I love Kurt Russell and I love Escape From New York. The very last thing I wanted was that remake. :)

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
As long as Lucas is alive, there is never going to be a remake of Star Wars...now that being said I wouldn't rule out future "special editions".

ResidentAlien said:
Westworld :mad:
I wouldn't be too worried about this project. Michael Crichton himself is helming this project.

Aaron H said:
As long as Lucas is alive, there is never going to be a remake of Star Wars...now that being said I wouldn't rule out future "special editions".

I wouldn't be too worried about this project. Michael Crichton himself is helming this project.

All the same, you could never touch Brenner. It's absolutely worthless to try.

...and let me stress I think very little of Crichton. Though as a director he's endlessly more impressive than as a writer.