Votes: 13 41.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

No Ticket

I felt like the new one messed up his character a little bit. I didn't like it as much as the others and found it very "forgettable" by comparison. It (like Indy) has a scene that is very unbelievable... one man taking down a fighter jet with his bare hands?

I could believe the fridge atomic explosion thing before I could believe that.

... all that being said. I could watch at least one more, but I don't really want to see it that bad.

AndyLGR

Yes defintely. I think that in many respects Die Hard set the standard for Action movies that many films tried to copy, just like Raiders did in its field.

Crusade>Raiders

You may or may not know this, but Die Hard is my favorite action movie. The formula has been ripped off even more than Indiana Jones, John McClane is the ****ing MAN, Hans Gruber is one of the best villains in movie history, the chemistry between John and Al was real, it has lots of kickass action scenes and special effects, and theres a reason why film school use this movie as a subject for effective screenwriting(I wouldn't edit a single frame of this film).

Die Hard 2 was a rehash of Die Hard all the way down to the Christmas setting, but worse plot, villains, and pacing. Also, I hate that annoying black guy in the film. He reads all his lines with no emotion. A rehash of Die Hard is still quality, just nowhere near the original. Also the title, Die Hard 2: Die Harder, has got to be one of the worse mainstream Hollywood titles I've ever seen.

Die Hard with a Vengeance wasn't a rehash, instead giving McClane New York as his entire playground. Samuel L. Jackson was a fantastic addition to the series, and he has a chemistry with Bruce Willis that rivals Indy/Henry Sr. in Last Crusade and Riggs/Mertaugh in the Lethal Weapon series. The villain was much better than Die Hard 2, and had a bit of his brother Hans Gruber's cold calculating personality. "Simon" has McClane and Zeus running around New York doing some pretty crazy and hilarious scenes, and the action really doesn't stop. Yeah, the probability of McClane surfing a truck out of a flood isn't very likely, but who cares? This is a popcorn movie, and a fine one at that. The pacing never lets up, and its a rare group of films where I couldn't believe two hours had already passed. The original was too damn good, but Die Hard 3 sure comes close.

Live Free or Die Hard suffers from a weak villain(still better than Die Hard 2), and a PG-13 rating(although John still curses and there is a lot of action). The thing that kind of bugged me was that McClane, while still a badass cop in the original, was still an ordinary guy dong some crazy stuff. Here, McClane is jumping on and off of fighter jets onto highways, and gets up like nothing happen. A "nuked the fridge" scene if they ever was on. The movie isn't confined in one place like the first two, but it avoids being another rehash. Justing Long, while no Sam Jackson, still managed to keep things humorous. McClane was definitely in a new world, but when technology fell down across the nation, his ol' school ways were still able to prevail. Lots of great action scenes, and even though some are a bit ridiculous, its always entertaining. And now, with the un-rated DVD, I can get all the "Yippie-Ki-yay, mother****ers!" I want (y)

Live Free or Die Hard is really similar to Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Old action hero comes back after over a decade, tones down the violence a bit, makes some action set-pieces a bit too silly but still fun, has him teaming up with an popular young actor, has a weaker villain than two of the previous three movies, and it not as good as the first or third, but its better than the second one.

Oh, and I would definitely see a fifth Die Hard :gun:

RocketSledFight

LFODH was, in my opinion, the least successful in this "resurrection of a classic character" trend that's going on lately, by far.

Moments were enjoyable, but McClane did not feel like the same character. People have told me they thought KOTCS was just as watered down, but I disagree: Indy at least feels like Indy, and the actions he performs are in line with his character. The whole plane thing in LFODH was sooooo not like John McClane.

Crusade>Raiders

Indiana Jones hid in a refrigerator, flew miles in the air, landed with the grace of the Incredible Hulk, and got out with no injuries and no radiation what so ever.

Very Indy-like.

RocketSledFight

Crusade>Raiders said:
Indiana Jones hid in a refrigerator, flew miles in the air, landed with the grace of the Incredible Hulk, and got out with no injuries and no radiation what so ever.

Very Indy-like.

The problem is, I remember, that almost all of the scenes in Live Free felt like that scene does.

Shortie

Crusade>Raiders said:

Very Indy-like.

Grace & the Hulk? Those should never be in the same sentence. :p

Hanselation

I would really like another Die Hard-Movie and it seems to become true:

http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment/movies/2010/0/17/15050486.html

(y)
Meantime, Willis confirms that a fifth installment in the Die Hard series is happening.

"The script is due in any day now, and I'm hearing good things about it," he said.

Willis, who counts the original as one of his favourites, wants Live Free Or Die Hard director Len Wiseman helming the follow-up.

"I liked working with him, but he's got another film on the go, so who knows."

DIE HARD 24/7 ? That title is registered as diehard247.com by 20th Century FOX:
http://who.securepaynet.net/WhoIs.aspx?domain=diehard247.com&prog_id=niccom

Pale Horse

Staff member
Crusade>Raiders said:
...The formula has been ripped off even more than Indiana Jones, John McClane is the ****ing MAN, Hans Gruber is one of the best villains in movie history..

Die Hard V: Old Movie Plots Die Hard

teampunk

it was called die hard 24-7 because it originally was a crossover with the tv show 24. but then 24 wanted to do their own movie so it's not going to be a crossover anymore. but there still might be a crossover in the future! atleast that was what an article on aintitcool.com said.

Well I thought the first two sucked....big time. Hated them hated him. The last two I really enjoyed. The writing has improved so let's see if they can keep the ball rolling, just no more relatives from the past!

Hanselation

Die Hard 24/7

ITS 2012 AND JOHN WANTS TO BUY SOME FOOD FOR HIS WEEKEND!
247-die_hard0.jpg

Its saturday night.
On his way home John wants to buy some food and some beer for his weekend
He visits a mega store, which opens 24 hours on 7 days a week.
Its the biggest store of the world.
Its the first night after its opening
Only a few people are there, but some of them are very bad guys!
And again John is the right man at the wrong place.
worldmarketweb.jpg

;)

Indy's brother

John McClane gets a 5th outing, while Dr. Jones continues to collect dust in George Lucas' Cerebral Antechamber.

Die Hard 5 officially has a director, and it’s not exactly someone you expected. Noam Murro, best known for helming 2008’s Smart People starring Dennis Quaid and Sarah Jessica Parker, has been tapped by Fox to direct the latest installment of the Die Hard franchise. Skip Woods (X-Men Origins: Wolverine) has been on hand to write the screenplay since last May. However, earlier today we reported that Fox was unimpressed with Woods’ latest draft of the screenplay and is going back to the drawing board, with franchise star Bruce Willis taking an active role in development. Having a director on board should be helpful in crafting a successful script, but might Fox bring another writer in for some fresh perspective?

Though Murro is relatively unknown, THR’s report points out that he’s a highly acclaimed commercials director, having been nominated by the DGA for Director of the Year five times, as well as having won the Gold Lion at the Cannes Gold Lion awards. Hit the jump for more on Murro.

While it may seem an odd choice to hire someone with little to no action experience for a Die Hard movie, Michael Bay started in commercials, so I’ll reserve judgment until we see what the guy can do (if he’s winning awards, he’s gotta be doing something right).

There’s currently no word on what the plot of Die Impossible Hard 5 will entail, though Willis previously stated that this film will be “worldwide.” However, so many different rumors about the project have arisen in the last year, there’s no telling what the film actually looks like now. The previous franchise installment, the Len Wiseman-helmed Live Free or Die Hard, was a commercial success (thanks to the PG-13 rating) having grossed $383.5 million worldwide, but was met with a mixed reaction from both audiences and critics.

EDIT: Mods, feel like re-opening this poll?

Last edited:

TheMutt92

I've still only seen the first Die Hard. But one of my roommates has the entire series, so I'll get back on whether a 5th film is a good move.

Forbidden Eye

Indy's brother said:
John McClane gets a 5th outing, while Dr. Jones continues to collect dust in George Lucas' Cerebral Antechamber.

Well, Die Hard 4 came out in 2007, before Indy 4, so maybe this means Indy 5 is coming in 2013!(If the world is still here that is ;) )

AndyLGR

I'm a big fan of the series, I've always thought the first one set the bar for action thrillers and the others were solid action movies.

Much like the Indy movies really with raiders setting the bench mark and the others being solid follow ups.

Was die hard 4.0 poorly received? I thought it did well at the box office. Certainly this news story on die hard 5 indicates 4.0 didn't go down well.

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/die-hard-5-gets-a-director

Indy's brother

AndyLGR said:
Was die hard 4.0 poorly received? I thought it did well at the box office. Certainly this news story on die hard 5 indicates 4.0 didn't go down well.

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/die-hard-5-gets-a-director

I'm just one guy, but DH4 may have been better received if it didn't have the Die Hard name attached to it. The jet scene was groan-worthy for me the first time I saw it.....in True Lies, and that flick begged for a less serious tone than the DH franchise, imho. DH4 didn't seem like John McClane at all to me. I like Willis, and I like the franchise, but unlike Dr. Jones, who has a more legitimate reason to be in his respective adventures, the premise of McClane just randomly becoming involved in one terrorist plot after another is really wearing thin. Dr. Jones isn't some average guy, he has a more unique profession, and has cornered a niche within it. McClane is supposed to be just some Joe-Six-Pack beat cop who has greatness thrust upon him. Over. And over. And over again...... I'd like to see a better installment in the DH series, but I'm not holding my breath.

kongisking

Indy's brother said:
I'm just one guy, but DH4 may have been better received if it didn't have the Die Hard name attached to it. The jet scene was groan-worthy for me the first time I saw it.....in True Lies, and that flick begged for a less serious tone than the DH franchise, imho. DH4 didn't seem like John McClane at all to me. I like Willis, and I like the franchise, but unlike Dr. Jones, who has a more legitimate reason to be in his respective adventures, the premise of McClane just randomly becoming involved in one terrorist plot after another is really wearing thin. Dr. Jones isn't some average guy, he has a more unique profession, and has cornered a niche within it. McClane is supposed to be just some Joe-Six-Pack beat cop who has greatness thrust upon him. Over. And over. And over again...... I'd like to see a better installment in the DH series, but I'm not holding my breath.

Sigh. Am I the only one who loved Live Free as a badass action flick that wasn't afraid to put our hero in some truly awesome action scenes, realism be damned? My philosophy is, the more epic the action, the cooler it is. And what's so unrealistic about hanging onto the back of a crashing jet plane? It was hovering in the air, not flying at Mach speeds. Watch the movie again guys, and try to tell me you didn't enjoy yourselves watching McClane shoot a fire hydrant and blow a goon through a window.

And while we're talking about this, how exactly was Willis not like John McClane in that film? He still grumbled about his situation, he still chafed under authority, he still got in insane situations where it was do-or-die, he still said the iconic line (as a person who despises that foul street word, I was relieved that they removed the mother****er bit. Heresy, I know)...he was totally in character. How people claim otherwise is beyond me. :confused:

And Matt was a fun sidekick. Mutt would be proud. (y)

indy4242

Crusade>Raiders said:
You may or may not know this, but Die Hard is my favorite action movie. The formula has been ripped off even more than Indiana Jones, John McClane is the ****ing MAN, Hans Gruber is one of the best villains in movie history, the chemistry between John and Al was real, it has lots of kickass action scenes and special effects, and theres a reason why film school use this movie as a subject for effective screenwriting(I wouldn't edit a single frame of this film).

Die Hard 2 was a rehash of Die Hard all the way down to the Christmas setting, but worse plot, villains, and pacing. Also, I hate that annoying black guy in the film. He reads all his lines with no emotion. A rehash of Die Hard is still quality, just nowhere near the original. Also the title, Die Hard 2: Die Harder, has got to be one of the worse mainstream Hollywood titles I've ever seen.

Die Hard with a Vengeance wasn't a rehash, instead giving McClane New York as his entire playground. Samuel L. Jackson was a fantastic addition to the series, and he has a chemistry with Bruce Willis that rivals Indy/Henry Sr. in Last Crusade and Riggs/Mertaugh in the Lethal Weapon series. The villain was much better than Die Hard 2, and had a bit of his brother Hans Gruber's cold calculating personality. "Simon" has McClane and Zeus running around New York doing some pretty crazy and hilarious scenes, and the action really doesn't stop. Yeah, the probability of McClane surfing a truck out of a flood isn't very likely, but who cares? This is a popcorn movie, and a fine one at that. The pacing never lets up, and its a rare group of films where I couldn't believe two hours had already passed. The original was too damn good, but Die Hard 3 sure comes close.

Live Free or Die Hard suffers from a weak villain(still better than Die Hard 2), and a PG-13 rating(although John still curses and there is a lot of action). The thing that kind of bugged me was that McClane, while still a badass cop in the original, was still an ordinary guy dong some crazy stuff. Here, McClane is jumping on and off of fighter jets onto highways, and gets up like nothing happen. A "nuked the fridge" scene if they ever was on. The movie isn't confined in one place like the first two, but it avoids being another rehash. Justing Long, while no Sam Jackson, still managed to keep things humorous. McClane was definitely in a new world, but when technology fell down across the nation, his ol' school ways were still able to prevail. Lots of great action scenes, and even though some are a bit ridiculous, its always entertaining. And now, with the un-rated DVD, I can get all the "Yippie-Ki-yay, mother****ers!" I want (y)

Live Free or Die Hard is really similar to Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Old action hero comes back after over a decade, tones down the violence a bit, makes some action set-pieces a bit too silly but still fun, has him teaming up with an popular young actor, has a weaker villain than two of the previous three movies, and it not as good as the first or third, but its better than the second one.

Oh, and I would definitely see a fifth Die Hard :gun:

Very well stated. Of the "resurrection of the character" movies that came out in the last few years of the 2000s, I think LFoDH was the best - and, ironically, I also think it was the closest to Die Hard in terms of tone.

While I still love KOTCS, that movie has remained more or less constant in my mind, while LFoDH has been better each time I've watched it. I even enjoy Timothy Olyphant as the villain (maybe after getting hooked on Justified).

So another Die Hard 5 (and Die Hard 6, like Willis apparently wants to do?) would be awesome. End the series on a super high note.