The Lone Ranger

Le Saboteur

Mod note: Can we add a 'The' to the title of this thread, too? Please?

Gore Verbinski is auditioning to helm Indy V? Eat your heart out, Dr. Jones!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q42DrlOczi0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In all seriousness though, each trailer makes the movie look more appealing. Which is odd considering that the popular opinion is that they expect The Lone Ranger to be a John Carter sized failure. I don't see it.

And while I'm intentionally avoiding as much information as possible, this image gives a brief glimpse @ the grand scale of the practical effects. If the movie manages this type of scale throughout, well, I'll be there opening day.

This one's for Montana and any other Lego obsessives.

lone-ranger-super-bowl.jpg

Henry W Jones

Should Depp be playing a native American? Personally it does not bother me but after spending time in the Indiana Jones Racist thread it makes me wonder how it will perceived in todays society.

Montana Smith

Henry W Jones said:
Should Depp be playing a native American? Personally it does not bother me but after spending time in the Indiana Jones Racist thread it makes me wonder how it will perceived in todays society.

Johnny's already played his get out of jail free card:

In a 2002 interview, Depp stated that he has Native American ancestry;[9] in 2011, he specified, "I guess I have some Native American [in me] somewhere down the line. My great-grandmother was quite a bit of Native American, she grew up Cherokee or maybe Creek Indian. Makes sense in terms of coming from Kentucky, which is rife with Cherokee and Creek."[10]

9.^ "Inside The Actors Studio – Johnny Depp". YouTube. Retrieved October 6, 2012.

10.^ a b Breznican, Anthony (May 8, 2011). "Johnny Depp on 'The Lone Ranger'". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved August 8, 2011.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Depp

Le Saboteur said:

Don't tempt me!

It's bad enough keeping upo with DC, Marvel and the odd Star Wars set!

No doubt there'll be Hot Toys 1/6 scale figures, too.

Le Saboteur

A Japanese language trailer has found its way onto the 'net. It mostly recycles previous footage, but there are some novel bits to tease out if one is so inclined.

<iframe width="640" height="380" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RjsjH1Mx1B0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Henry W Jones said:
Should Depp be playing a native American?

armie-hammer-the-lone-ranger-image.jpg

The Navajo Nation seems quite pleased with the production thus far. Mr. Depp also seems to be making the right comments in the press. To wit, he plans to

Johnny Depp said:
take some of the ugliness thrown on the Native Americans, not only in The Lone Ranger, but the way Indians were treated throughout the history of cinema, and turn it on its head,

Granted, I know next to nothing about the original series, but Jay Silverheels -- the original Tonto(?) -- seems to believe that Clayton Moore went out of his way to see that Native Americans/First Nations/Indians/whatever were treated with respect.

Henry W Jones

Le Saboteur said:
A Japanese language trailer has found its way onto the 'net. It mostly recycles previous footage, but there are some novel bits to tease out if one is so inclined.

<iframe width="640" height="380" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RjsjH1Mx1B0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

armie-hammer-the-lone-ranger-image.jpg

The Navajo Nation seems quite pleased with the production thus far. Mr. Depp also seems to be making the right comments in the press. To wit, he plans to

Granted, I know next to nothing about the original series, but Jay Silverheels -- the original Tonto(?) -- seems to believe that Clayton Moore went out of his way to see that Native Americans/First Nations/Indians/whatever were treated with respect.

I have Native American friends that find it highly offensive that Depp will be playing a Native America in this film. I have not seen it yet but I know many will take issue. Is it racist since some Native Americans are offended?

P.S. I believe my friends are being overly sensitive since they have not even seen the film and are already offended.

kongisking

Le Saboteur said:
Mod note: Can we add a 'The' to the title of this thread, too? Please?

Gore Verbinski is auditioning to helm Indy V? Eat your heart out, Dr. Jones!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q42DrlOczi0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In all seriousness though, each trailer makes the movie look more appealing. Which is odd considering that the popular opinion is that they expect The Lone Ranger to be a John Carter sized failure. I don't see it.

And while I'm intentionally avoiding as much information as possible, this image gives a brief glimpse @ the grand scale of the practical effects. If the movie manages this type of scale throughout, well, I'll be there opening day.

lone-ranger-super-bowl.jpg

I'll admit, I laughed at Depp's smile at the end there.

I might give it a chance. I think Verbinski and Depp are a good team.

roundshort

Gotta admit I am excited for this. I think this will rate a visit to the movies instead of waiting for DVD. Very cool looks well done.

Le Saboteur

A few new images from the flick have surfaced on the movie's Facebook page.

Dig. If anything, Verbinski really seems to have absorbed the visuals of the Western genre he first played with in Rango, and has embellished upon them for The Lone Ranger. It'll be a good looking picture.

Ds1aZMl.jpg

PG1SpKV.jpg

kongisking

Henry Jones VII said:
I wonder if Gore Verbinski wouldn't be a terrific choice to direct a future Indiana Jones movie? :cool: :cool:

what do you think guys?

I've been advocating this idea for a while now. Verbinski is very talented at witty, subversive entertainment, and I'd love to see his style tried out on our favorite archaeologist.

Oh, and I still love the Pirates sequels...minus On Stranger Tides, which I sorta, kinda, maybe liked.

Le Saboteur

Information continues to trickle out in anticipation of the flick's domestic release. First, a thirty-second teevee spot hit the air and now the 'net is being flooded with character posters.

Stylistically, these are better than others. At the end of the day, they're still just character shots. I can't help but wonder if anybody actually collects these things?

First up: Armie Hammer as the titular Lone Ranger. Note the more traditional blue in the mask and jacket. Will there be a costume change @ some point? Nearly everything shown has the Ranger in black.

I am color blind, of course, so that could be a lighting trick.

movies-the-lone-ranger-armie-hammer.jpg

Johnny Depp's Tonto

the-lone-ranger-poster-johnny-depp.jpg

You can find posters for Helena Bonham Carter's Red Harrigton here and Ruth Wilson's Rebecca Reid here.

The Hollywood Reporter said:
When Disney released the animated musical Pocahontas in 1995, the song "Savages" was criticized as fostering negative stereotypes about Native Americans. In an effort to break from that culturally insensitive past, Disney has embarked on a broad outreach program in advance of its July 3 tentpole The Lone Ranger.

The film stars Johnny Depp as Tonto -- a character who during his 1950s TV run spoke in broken English and lacked dimension. But the new Tonto enjoys a rich backstory, including an authentic portrayal of his Comanche heritage. Disney and Depp quietly courted Native American approval long before cameras rolled on the $250 million Gore Verbinski film. American Indian leaders were brought on during the script stage and were present throughout production.

Full article: Why 'Lone Ranger's' Johnny Depp Joined the Comanche Nation

During next week's Cinema Con in Las Vegas, Disney will feature twenty-minutes of exclusive footage. Following the screening, they will hold a live Q&A session with Johnny Depp, Gore Verbinksi, & Jerry Bruckheimer. Questions can be submitted via Twitter!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zOM3nxiU0oM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

$250-million dollar budget?! Aside from building a train and lining Msr. Depp's pockets, where does it all go?!

Henry Jones VII

Le Saboteur said:
$250-million dollar budget?! Aside from building a train and lining Msr. Depp's pockets, where does it all go?!

I hope that it didn't went to the CGI werevolves they talked at some point in pre-production. :D :D

Le Saboteur

A third and final (?) trailer for The Lone Ranger has hit the net following its debut @ CinemaCon in Las Vegas! This one gives us our most complete look so far of one of the major train set pieces...

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tLX8xfPuWNQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A French trailer has also found its way on the 'net, and gives us the first look @ Tom Wilkinson's villain.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gaR5v-VoS78" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And for anybody who was interested, the live Q&A is available on-line through here. It's about twenty-five minutes long. I haven't watched it yet, but exercise caution. Spoilers may abound.

Le Saboteur

How many trailers is Disney going to release for this?! This is the fourth full-length trailer, and I can't count the number of teevee spots! Oh, I could. But it would defeat the point: Disney is certainly going out of their way to ensure that you know The Lone Ranger is heading to theatres July 4th!

This one features less train, more horseback. Otherwise it's very similar footage to what's been presented before.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/K4uHLkmGYys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The-Lone-Ranger-International-Character-Movie-Poster.jpg

roundshort

OK I am so glad I watched that last trailer - I am out. The gun in the heal of the woman's boot - oh god no. I think I will watch Big Willy Style in Wild Wild West....

I was looking forward to this but I fear the Fridge has been jumped and the shark nuked

Pale Horse

Staff member
roundshort said:
OK I am so glad I watched that last trailer - I am out. The gun in the heal of the woman's boot - oh god no. I think I will watch Big Willy Style in Wild Wild West....

I was looking forward to this but I fear the Fridge has been jumped and the shark nuked

That's a S**T trailer to be syure, highlighting only the camp, to be sure. Tell you what, when you're in town, let's hit the Ranch and The AMC and just enjoy good clean fun. Our treat.

WilliamBoyd8

A cable channel called COSI has been running episodes of both the
Lone Ranger and Hopalong Cassidy television shows.

Does this mean that a Hopalong Cassidy film is in the works?

:)