A Bridge Too Far

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Most WWII Pacific Theater and European Theatre epics feature plenty of machinery, but are mechanical. Not this, the definitive paratrooper film, which occurs a couple months after Saving Private Ryan. Yes, Operation Market Garden failed and didn't end the war by Christmas... you'd have to follow it with Patton. Sir Richard Attenborough depicts memorable characters on both sides of the river, with knowing British dialogue. Great action yet there's always time for coffee or tea. Plus Sean Connery, and a cameo by Denholm Elliott.

20 years ago I hitchhiked from Arnhem to Nijmegen and never knew the history along the road I traveled. The Netherlands are flat and it's mostly pleasant fields and hedgerows.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39707
Here's an excellent review. I recall now I've been over the WWII flicks that didn't do it for me. There are others, but I'll probably avoid ones that landed on this list. Battle of the Bulge for instance: "President Eisenhower came out of retirement and held a press conference to denounce the film for what he considered its gross historical inaccuracy." Ouch. Stick with Spielberg!

AndyLGR

Great film, one of my favourites and one of the later ones to be made too. But theres an absolute goldmine of WWII films to go back and watch.

Stoo

This is one of my top 3 favourite WW2 films! I saw in the theatre in '77 and can recall a local newspaper critic not liking it very much, calling it disjointed, etc. That may be true but it doesn't detract at all. Attenborough's full-blooded attention to period detail really brings the story to life and I think it's a masterpiece. Oh, and the music is great, too!(y)

In late '77/early '78 there was a behind-the-scenes TV special, "The Making of A Bridge Too Far" which only aired once. It was very good and I keep hoping it will be included on a DVD release someday. (I have the 2005 DVD and it's not on there.)

Anyone interested in more about Operation Market Garden should read Cornelius Ryan's book, "A Bridge Too Far" and check out the movie, "Betrayed" (1954) with Clark Gable. "Band of Brothers" also has an episode about it.

I'm still trying to find, "Theirs Is The Glory" (1946), a re-enactment film using soldiers who actually fought in the real battles. It was co-directed by a pre-James Bond, Terence Young (who was also there at the time).

One of my relatives served with the Canadians in Nijmegen during the winter of '44/'45.

Stoo

Well, there is Attila's thread from 2003-2005 (which you, Andy, temporarily revived for 2 days* last year in January 2013):

Best War Movies

*Quite sad, really, considering that both World Wars have relevance to Indiana Jones.

Richard Attenborough did not only direct, "A Bridge Too Far", but he appears in it, too! Blink an eye and you'll miss him. Anyone else know the scene?