Steven Spielberg wants to film John Steinbeck's "The Grapes of Wrath"

Dr. Gonzo

Oh no...

http://www.slashfilm.com/steven-spielberg-will-produce-a-grapes-of-wrath-remake/

I always said once we started remaking the untouchable classics like The Godfather, Lawrence of Arabia, Casablanca, Citizen Kane and the like it would be the beginning of the end.

Grapes of Wrath is on the border of this category... and its worry-some.

OFF TOPIC:
Spielberg and Lucas predicted an imminent implosion of the Hollywood studio system a few days back. And since thinking about it, I'm pretty sure they're right. Which is ironic as Spielberg is the one producing the new Grapes of Wrath.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Dr. Gonzo said:
Spielberg and Lucas predicted an imminent implosion of the Hollywood studio system a few days back. And since thinking about it, I'm pretty sure they're right. Which is ironic as Spielberg is the one producing the new Grapes of Wrath.

Stinging honesty here.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
Stinging honesty here.

Yeah, those comments of theirs put me firmly in mind of this:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/PskoqCtRFD4?start=49&end=61" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As for this Grapes of Wrath remake, sure, it's a literary adaptation rather than strict remake, but it's the sort of thing that would live in the shadow of the original. I can see why it would feel like an appropriate moment to revisit the story, but I'm more than a little skittish. When it hits theaters, I won't be there. (Home video? Sure.)

Last edited:

WilliamBoyd8

But he has legal problems with the author's family over who own the film rights to the book.

The The Grapes of Wrath was filmed in 1940 by director John Ford with Henry Fonda as the hero Tom Joad.

The book was a best-selling novel in the 1930's about a family of Oklahoma farmers who lose their farm during the Depression and move to California hoping to start a new life.

News article about the legal fight and trial:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/the-ra...naring-steven-spielberg-and-jennifer-lawrence

:)

Pale Horse

Staff member
IndyBuff said:
He ought to do Indy V first. The Grapes of Wrath can wait.

But how can we make a 2017/2018 political statement if we don't do a movie about a housing crisis due to a wall street snafu?

IndyBuff

Pale Horse said:
But how can we make a 2017/2018 political statement if we don't do a movie about a housing crisis due to a wall street snafu?

They'll alter it to be a cautionary tale about climate change instead.;)

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
If any Steinbeck novel needs to be brought up to date, it's East of Eden. It's gut wrenching.

The serious side of me wants to engage you in a full-on literary exposition of the recommendation here in. But the drunk forum message poster in me wants to celebrate the Michael Bay aspect of two families battling it out for survival