new Indy Answer from Hasbro

Spalkomania

ChromiumBlue37 said:
Hasbro didn't even ANSWER the question about Toht correctly! Ha!!

What do you mean? They answered by revealing that we're getting just the 1 Toht figure with 2 swappable heads included.

Last edited:

ChromiumBlue37

Spalkomania said:
What do you mean? They answered by revealing that we're getting just the 1 Toht figure with 2 swappable heads included.

Look again -

TNI: We got our first glimpse of the Toht figure and its variant at SDCC. Will it be released in equal numbers as the regular figure, or is this similar to a chase variant where it will be limited to something like one per case? In other words, how hard will this version be to find for collectors?

Hasbro: The intent is to include the second head in the pack rather than do a separate variant.

The question is focused on availability per case, (as Henry Jones, Sr.).

ChromiumBlue37

All right, Hasbro states in the Q & A that the future of the line is up to the consumers. We have two opportunities to clear out this glut. The DVD release and the Holiday shopping season.

Now, we are not to blame as we have all bought up what we want and what we can find. At fault is Hasbro for the brainless case assortments and retailers, (specifically Wal-Mart), for the excess action figures stock at ridiculous prices with no promotional sales. As I said before, I am getting 4 Akator Playsets. 3 are for me and one is for my nephew. If possible I will purchase a fifth and donate it the local Mission.

The entire glut of non-selling action figures appears to be contained at Wal-Mart. Am I correct? Target and TRU seem to be moving their stock just fine. They also tend to use sales, (price reduction or buy two, get one offers), to move older stock. Wal-Mart is the one, pivotal retailer that has the most Indiana Jones toys that are not moving. Now here is my solution -

Call 1-800-Wal-Mart, select option 2 for customer, then press 1 for store experience, then press 1 again, then hold for a representative. I had to hold for quite a while. They ask your name and area and then ask what the situation is. Just told them I would really like to see a price rollback or a sale on the Indiana Jones action figures. I also explained that every Wal-Mart has too many of them and that they are too expensive for the parents and kids too afford. When they asked what location, I went down the list of every Wal-Mart store in the Chicago are and northern IL. As a zinger, I mentioned my almost daily Wal-Mart visits and that I come in for the figures but end up purchasing all of my groceries, household and auto goods while I am there.
If enough of us call from all over the States, maybe they will get the message. Be sure to mention all of the Wal-Mart stores in your area. Rattle off as many as you can think of and tell them that these figures are just sitting and need a price rollback.

I am going to copy and paste this statement in the I Want This Line To Go On Forever thread, so that it will be seen by enough of us to act.

Last edited:

Dr._Jones_Jr.

ChromiumBlue37, what are you planning on doing with 3 Akator sets? Are you making a diarama or something? I wonder if that playset will even be easy enough to find where you will be able to buy 4.

ChromiumBlue37

I am kinda weird. I lived through the drought when there was no such thing as Indy toys.

When it was 1984 and The Temple of Doom hit theaters, I went on the hunt to my KB toys and Circus World. We didn't have a TRU or Wal-Mart or Target in our town in those days. What I was expecting was a continuation of the Kenner line only with the TOD characters. Remembering Kenner's SW method of repacking the older movie figures on the newer movie cards, (i.e. Jawa and Tusken Raider on a The Empire Strikes Back card), I was expecting to get the same old, same old. Also don't forget that there were no toy magazines or internet. The only way you found out about the new toys was wait for them to arrive on the store shelves.

Never will I forget strolling into Circus World as an 12 year old boy and finding 3 LJN Characters from TOD. My thoughts were, "This is it???" No playsets, no vehicles, no animals, just 3 crappy figures. So, all of these years I have lived with the regret of not having extras, (the Kenner line), and buying the things I love when I had the chance.
Seriously, my method is to have one Akator open and leave 2 boxed up. Hasbro said that the only way we are going to get The Well of the Souls playset and possibly others is IF the Akator Temple set is a big seller. I intend to do my part. BTW, I still have not seen ONE Henry Jones Sr., Elsa or Vogel on the pegs. Grrrrrrrrr!

Goonie

ChromiumBlue37 said:
The entire glut of non-selling action figures appears to be contained at Wal-Mart. Am I correct? Target and TRU seem to be moving their stock just fine.

Our local Walmart has just two pegs of Indy figures, a few Mr. Potato Heads, and only a few 12" figures remaining. No Lego. Nothing else.

On September 17th there is a new Walmart opening up in the neighboring town just 20 mins away. It's supposed to be the Supercenter Walmart, so I'm hoping that they have more toys.

Being the big global company that Walmart is, it sucks, at least locally it sucks.

Dr._Jones_Jr.

ChromiumBlue37 said:
I am kinda weird. I lived through the drought when there was no such thing as Indy toys.

When it was 1984 and The Temple of Doom hit theaters, I went on the hunt to my KB toys and Circus World. We didn't have a TRU or Wal-Mart or Target in our town in those days. What I was expecting was a continuation of the Kenner line only with the TOD characters. Remembering Kenner's SW method of repacking the older movie figures on the newer movie cards, (i.e. Jawa and Tusken Raider on a The Empire Strikes Back card), I was expecting to get the same old, same old. Also don't forget that there were no toy magazines or internet. The only way you found out about the new toys was wait for them to arrive on the store shelves.

Never will I forget strolling into Circus World as an 12 year old boy and finding 3 LJN Characters from TOD. My thoughts were, "This is it???" No playsets, no vehicles, no animals, just 3 crappy figures. So, all of these years I have lived with the regret of not having extras, (the Kenner line), and buying the things I love when I had the chance.
Seriously, my method is to have one Akator open and leave 2 boxed up. Hasbro said that the only way we are going to get The Well of the Souls playset and possibly others is IF the Akator Temple set is a big seller. I intend to do my part. BTW, I still have not seen ONE Henry Jones Sr., Elsa or Vogel on the pegs. Grrrrrrrrr!

Yeah when I was a kid my parents were to poor to buy me toys so I didnt even get the TOD toys. My g/f found Elsa,Knight,Young and Castle indy,and vogel somewhere near Cave-In-Rock, Illinois(which would be southern IL). I live in NY and don't see them anywhere around here. I certainly hope we get the Well of Souls.

JimmyPSHayes

Nice post ChromiumBlue37!!! I grew up in a small town in Wisconsin and we didn't even GET the old Temple of Doom figures!! Consider yourself lucky! And you're right, back in those days, there was NO toy news to be found. I didn't even know those toys existed until YEARS later when I got the internet.
-I'll also being buying a couple of Akator playsets, that's for sure. And I'm sure I'll get one for my nephew too. I REALLY want more playsets!!
-I went to Blockbuster today-haven't been in YEARS, cause I used to work there and left hating the place-and to my surprise they still had some Indy merchandise. I picked up the movie glasses, a t-shirt and the Official Pix photo of Indy on the crates. (y)

thelaw

We got our first glimpse of the Toht figure and its variant at SDCC. Will it be released in equal numbers as the regular figure, or is this similar to a chase variant where it will be limited to something like one per case? In other words, how hard will this version be to find for collectors?

The question is focused on availability per case, (as Henry Jones, Sr.).[/QUOTE]

Actually, the question was answered to eliminate confusion

"it's variant" inplies a variant to a normal Toht

"regular figure" implies regular Toht, not the rest of the figures in the wave

Hasbro's answer was that there is no variant figure witha melting head, but an alternate head in the same package, in much the same way as KOTCS Jacket Indy has an alternate normal hand in addition to the "holding skull" hand.

Lambonius

thelaw said:
We got our first glimpse of the Toht figure and its variant at SDCC. Will it be released in equal numbers as the regular figure, or is this similar to a chase variant where it will be limited to something like one per case? In other words, how hard will this version be to find for collectors?

The question is focused on availability per case, (as Henry Jones, Sr.)

Actually, the question was answered to eliminate confusion

"it's variant" inplies a variant to a normal Toht

"regular figure" implies regular Toht, not the rest of the figures in the wave

Hasbro's answer was that there is no variant figure witha melting head, but an alternate head in the same package, in much the same way as KOTCS Jacket Indy has an alternate normal hand in addition to the "holding skull" hand.

Yeah, I was about to point this out. Hasbro actually answered the question correctly given the way it was asked. It's a bit confusingly worded, but the "it" in "will it be released in equal numbers as the regular figure" refers to the melty head Toht, not the overall Toht figure itself in relation to the other figures from the case. I'm sure we're all wondering about how those wave 5 cases are going to be packed, so it was very easy to misconstrue this question and think that Hasbro was giving us a poor or incorrect answer. In actuality, the question was kind of dumb to begin with. I think we all already knew that the melty head was just an alternate pack-in, so this question was really just a waste of good Hasbro Q&A space.

thelaw

Exactly. I never thought this was a variant figure. But I guess I can see where someone MIGHT have been confused. Marvel Legends have typically had at least one variant per wave, with the back of the package showing the variant in a similar head-shot type photo off to the side of a full shot of the regular version.

So, if someone didn't regularly read the full slate of Indy QnAs (i.e. someone who didn't collect SW, so didn't know that these questions were asked every two weeks by multiple websites), and they only collected comic-lines or Hot Wheels, so they only understood the "every slightly different looking version of a figure is a hard-to-find variant, it's POSSIBLE they didn't understand the alternate head concept.

Still, I find it pretty hard to believe ANY fan of this line isn't watching any information about the future like a hawk. I know I've been despairing about it since I got the LC figures. (I got them, but I had to buy 2 full cases off the toy pallet or else they wouln't have gone out onto the floor; and I haven't seen them since. Definitely not complaining about my score, but that's when I knew the line was in trouble, and that was two months ago).

Spalkomania

^ That's how I read the question as well. :)

To be honest I don't care about the melty head. I just hope Toht comes with his trenchcoat.

Last edited:

Indy's Fist

I still have yet to find ANY LC Indy figures anywhere in Phoenix on store shelves. I refuse to buy from the internet, so I guess until I get lucky at a local Wal-Mart, Target or Toys R Us I'm screwed.

I guess they had to make room for all the kewl new Star Wars crap that's choking the shelves up.

Dr._Jones_Jr.

"TNI: Are we going to get a Young Indiana Jones (Sean Patrick Flannery) figure from the TV show? Question by TNI reader Griffin73.

Hasbro: We do not have plans to get to any Young Indiana Jones figures."

Didn't they say they wanted to do the Young Indy line? Hasbro is too into Star Wars.

ChromiumBlue37

They did say they would look into it as a possibility sometime last year.

Hasbro is infamous for saying one thing in the Q & A sessions and then being proven wrong later.

Bat-Dude

Spalkomania said:
To be honest I don't care about the melty head. I just hope Toht comes with his trenchcoat.

Ditto.

Even though my local Targets and TRU have sold down through most of their peg warmers, they still aren't getting the LC Wave. Target got it exactly once, TRU never. Meijer and Wal-Mart have both received the post-LC refresher Wave a couple times despite their glut.

DrJones35

Bat-Dude said:
Ditto.

Even though my local Targets and TRU have sold down through most of their peg warmers, they still aren't getting the LC Wave. Target got it exactly once, TRU never. Meijer and Wal-Mart have both received the post-LC refresher Wave a couple times despite their glut.

meijer's where i got my LC indy

Billy Ray

The latest Hasbro Q&A from IndianaJonesCollectors.com :

IndianaJonesCollectors: First a quick follow up to the one of our questions from last session if we can. The question was asked about a Marcus Brody action figure. The response was "It is unlikely we will do a Marcus Brody figure". Did you mean for next year or did you mean ever? And if so, is there a "list" of the characters that won't be made?

Hasbro: We can't really say never, as we hope there will be another Indy film, and if it comes to pass there will almost certainly be a Marcus Brody figure.

IJC: Can we expect a 3.75" Belloq in white suit and Panama hat or a 3.75" Toht and German Mechanic in 2009?

H: We did show images of a couple of these figures at Comic Con, which are planned for early Spring 2009. This is depending on retail support for IJ continuing through Spring 2009, something that we will be evaluating with our retail partners in the coming months.

IJC: Weeks ago you confirmed you confirmed that an Ark Ghost was coming in a deluxe set next year. Last Q&A session you changed your answer to no Ark Ghost was planned. Can you please clarify?

H: We did have plans for an Ark ghost, but now it is no longer in the plans.

IJC: What is the status of the Dietrich figure that was confirmed months ago in a Q&A? He was missing from the new Raiders wave announced at Comic Con.

H: He was planned to be in a later wave in 2009, not in the wave that was shown.

Things are looking mighty grim for the line :(