Design Your Indiana Jones Villain

MaverickKing

We've had a rival archaeologist, a cult fanatic, a smarmy millionnaire and a Russian colonel.

Pick the next great Indiana Jones villain, historical or fictional. Nazi, Soviet, American, European, dead, alive... go nuts!!

My pick:

FATHER HENDERSEN HOPE

Based loosely on Father Charles Coughlin. Father Hope is a fanatical leader who supports Hitler and Mussolini's policies. He thinks it's time for the non-believers to face the wrath of God and, in their last days, believe, sending them to Heaven. He thinks, by causing a global apocalypse and inspiring faith into the deceased, he can save their souls.

When, in reality, he's just a nutjob. Sort of a Christian Mola Ram, if you will.

The Drifter

I just had a really messed up idea. I would love to see Short Round come back to be the next villian.
He and Indiana already have a history together, and the emotional toil it could have on Indy would be interesting.
I am now a fan of my own insane idea.

Team Indy

You know what else would be interesting in an alternate Indyverse? If Marion came back as the villain.

Think about it: Indy ruined Marion's life, so anyone would seek revenge on him. And Marion always wanted to be rich. Why shouldn't she seek help to kill Indy or "put him in his place" from the Nazis or the Soviets?

She could use Mutt as a bargaining tool in order to get what she wanted. "Give me what I want or you'll never see him again."

How does that sound?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I'm a fan of the American military man gone rouge, sort of a MacArthur type, perhaps. Of course, that fit in best with an old idea of mine about the Americans and the Soviets battling it out for the philosopher's stone, which they thought could turn base metals into uranium, or some such material for the purposes of nuclear warfare, and with Indy caught in the middle, inevitably needing to destroy the stone.

Darth Vile

Attila the Professor said:
I'm a fan of the American military man gone rouge, sort of a MacArthur type, perhaps. Of course, that fit in best with an old idea of mine about the Americans and the Soviets battling it out for the philosopher's stone, which they thought could turn base metals into uranium, or some such material for the purposes of nuclear warfare, and with Indy caught in the middle, inevitably needing to destroy the stone.

"Gone rouge"? As in doing the gay Vegas scene??? ;)

In all seriousness - I really like your idea...

My usual preference would automatically be for a return to the Belloq/Donovan type figure i.e. a hands off intellectual... But for Indy V I'd like to see an Indy protégé/ex student who goes dark side (that could be anyone aged between 25 - 50). As a kid I always imagined Indy facing up to an advisory who also uses a whip... and having a protégé of Indy being the villain would be a good way of working that in. That would then give us an opportunity for a whip versus whip showdown (but not in the kinky sense of course).

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Darth Vile said:
"Gone rouge"? As in doing the gay Vegas scene??? ;)

Heh, indeed. Maybe I should have cited J. Edgar Hoover instead...

Your idea seems a natural progression for the series, actually. We've had so many mentors of various stripes but never one of Indy's own proteges. Jones is quite a bit of a loner, but if someone were enough like himself to push the good professor to get on a few digs, learn some things from him, and then turn away from the light...it could be rather compelling, and take the story that's emerged of Indy having more and more allies and social ties in each film in a darker direction. (One could argue that Mac started this path, but even that character's biggest fans see how disappointing he was as an inclusion in the story.)

A student of his, who naively employed his professors lessons and is changed forever by the events of an adventure of his own. Someone who runs Indy through the ringer...physically and emotionally.

Pushes the buttons to play on Indiana's fears, (now that he has a family)...