Could Spalko come back?

Jack Nelligan

I just heard a rumor from a friend in Hollywood who tells me that Cate Blanchett is in talks to return in Indy V. Let me just say that this is the same friend who told me that Shia was going to play Indy's son well before it was announced to the public.

How could they bring Spalco back???? Didn't she explode?????

The Drifter

If Spalko comes back I just might be tempted to pass on the movie. I did not care for the character, and thought she was the weakest of the villians.

Jack Nelligan

I agree that she was the weakest villain so far, but they could have done much more with her and made her a lot more vilainish( for lack of a real word).

The Drifter

Jack Nelligan said:
I agree that she was the weakest villain so far, but they could have done much more with her and made her a lot more vilainish( for lack of a real word).

Very true. They could developed her better besides just being a KGB baddie. If I would pick for a returning villian; it would be Mola Ram! lol

Robyn

I agree with Lonsome, I don't like Spalko, I wish Marion and Indy had a daughter instead of Mutt and I would have liked it better if Spalko's character was male.

Jack Nelligan

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Very true. They could developed her better besides just being a KGB baddie. If I would pick for a returning villian; it would be Mola Ram! lol

How about Short Round coming back as a villain? He could be pissed of at Indy for leaving him to fend for himself, or did he????

The Drifter

Jack Nelligan said:
How about Short Round coming back as a villain? He could be pissed of at Indy for leaving him to fend for himself, or did he????

I mentioned that in a past thread a few months ago. I would love to see that. I know some people would be against it, but I think it would work perfectly, and add a whole new layer to the story.
I would be all for it.

Insomniac

It won't happen.
I was watching a biography about Cate Blanchett and she said she never want's to play the same role twice and never want's to play to many similar roles(typecasting)!

Plus Spalko isn't a golden character it's not like Belloq or Mac.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Insomniac said:
Plus Spalko isn't a golden character it's not like Belloq or Mac.

Indeed. (Says the man who hopes, unrealistically, that they actually pull the old Belloq-in-ToD idea with Mac for Indy V, should it happen.)

mister64

Attila the Professor said:
Indeed. (Says the man who hopes, unrealistically, that they actually pull the old Belloq-in-ToD idea with Mac for Indy V, should it happen.)

What was the Belloq-in-TOD idea? Since it was a prequel to Raiders, would Belloq be Indy's ally?

Mac's constant loyalty shifts got annoying in KOTCS, I'm not sure I'd want to see him back, even though through the first half of the movie I thought he was a great character.

lao che & sons

Well, I would watch it but I would be pissed at lucas and spielberg for passing that. I thought she was weak but not as weak as donovan. She was an alright villain I thought, not as good as mola ram and definatley not as good as toht. If they bring back splake this film may actually LOSE money:p

Crack that whip

Well, let's look at just what's said here...

Jack Nelligan said:
I just heard a rumor from a friend in Hollywood who tells me that Cate Blanchett is in talks to return in Indy V. Let me just say that this is the same friend who told me that Shia was going to play Indy's son well before it was announced to the public.

How could they bring Spalco back???? Didn't she explode?????

Assuming to begin with that your friend is correct about Cate Blanchett coming back, did he actually mention Irina Spalko, or just Cate Blanchett? Cate could come back as some totally different character - after all, these guys all did...

RedeemedChild

Well after having viewed KOTCS for like 8 times in a row I must say that Agent Spalko is of my favorite villains. I really want to see Irina Spalko in the next Indiana Jones movie but I know that won't happen.

Anyway I'll always enjoy Cate Blanchette.

WHOA OH! We're hanging by a prayer.
Bon Jovi

The Drifter

RedeemedChild said:
Well after having viewed KOTCS for like 8 times in a row I must say that Agent Spalko is of my favorite villains. I really want to see Irina Spalko in the next Indiana Jones movie but I know that won't happen.

Anyway I'll always enjoy Cate Blanchette.

Not to be an ass, but have you watched Raiders, Doom, and Crusade also?

Crack that whip

I have to say I like the character quite a bit; I certainly think she's a more compelling villain than Walter Donovan, actually. I like her enough that she could easily be my favorite villain in some other series, but this one already has some even greater villains in René Belloq and Mola Ram. Spalko's definitely a worthy contender in my book, though.

That said, I think it'd be a huge mistake to contrive some way to resurrect her for a return appearance.

Does no one else have anything to say regarding the possibility of Cate Blanchett returning as some other character?

RedeemedChild

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Not to be an ass, but have you watched Raiders, Doom, and Crusade also?
Well I have not seen Last Crusade in a while but I have been re-viewing Raiders, and Temple of Doom as I try to put the finishing touches on my petition. It seems as if there is somethimg more I need to say but I don't want to put Lucas off. I know he does not care to much for the future of Indy but this is my duty as a fan of both Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

Udvarnoky

Spalko erupted into flames and disintegrated before she was whisked into the portal. At least in Mac's case his fate was a tiny more open-ended. I honestly wouldn't want these characters returning at all (though Mac, who was a good concept with godawful execution, deserves the second whack he's getting with the new novel), but I don't think Spalko could be brought back without Indy5 being a prequel.

avidfilmbuff

I thought Spalko was a great character, she was basically an homage to Rosa Klebb. But she served her purpose for that particular film, bringing her back would be pointless. Personally, I'm hoping for Christopher Lee in a Hammer style Indy film.

fenris

Seeing as they were sucked into another dimension means they could be returned. I think the explosion/glow from Spalko was the knowledge that the aliens gave her. If she were to return she'd probably be catatonic from all the information they gave her. Hahaha!

The only real question to be asked is 'Why the hell would Spielberg and Lucas bring her back?'