Fieldbook ~ from New Zealand to Berlin

Archaeos

I havn't found much buying advice or reviews on fieldbooks here, i.e. leather-bound blank-sheeters. Although not getting as much attention as front-pinched with-or-without-turn Fedora hats and Royal Ordnance Gas Mask Bag Pattern 37 Mark VII satchels, the Young Indy journal, Raiders notebook and Grail diary are just as much ingrained as part of the Indy image. As I am fond of this aspect (and stationery or papèterie products generally), I thought I could contribute a bit to this area with this thread. Maybe someone shares this interest, otherwise, this thread will deservedly go the way of the dodo.

I can of course only talk from my view, but when it comes to buying a leather-bound IJ-type blank-sheeter, either for scientific notetaking, private doodledrawing or even re-creating a hero-prop, quality is all that matters. The abuse a fieldbook has to take is enormous, so being able to life through heavy-duty environments, survive them intact and stay looking good at the other end of it all is key.

Moleskine notebooks are great for an urbane look, but I have always loved brown or tan leather, especially raw hides or buffalo leather :cool: . Hero-prop creators will of course prefer to make their books from scratch themselves (and chapeau to achieving this :hat: ), but I prefer to spend my time differently and just buy it off shelf after perusing through what's on offer.

A few years back, I bought my current Fieldbook at Magnoli Clothiers (2005). It was the 'Field Journal' for $45 (see here). I was short on money then, and went for the lowest price item, and accordingly did not have high expectations. It was more a "Let's see how long this lasts" approach. To my surprise, it is great! Having gained double in thickness through inlays, maps, stapled-in stuff etc., the spine still holds strong while the leather has aged beautifully. The paper absorbs pencils, ballpoint pens, fountain pens and my preferred finepoint and rollerball pens equally well without bleeding through. The best bucks I invested in a notebook. :)

Recently, I have come across a small stationery (online-)shop in Berlin, run by Zubin Farahani. It's located at Brentanostraße 11, not that far from where the Kaiserlich-Deutsches Archäologisches Institut, now the Deutsches Archäologisches Institut (DAI), is headquartered. Zubin sells what I would call really cool-looking stuff. All hand-made in-house, with heavy-duty paper and what looks like strong binding and very clever opening/locking/wraparound features. The pricing seems to be very reasonable, definitely below Magnoli, and Zubin ships across Europe at fixed rates.
The Nativus A7 has really caught my eye, despite its non-Indy-ness. It's a super-small A7 notebook.
I look forward to checking the shop out when I am in Berlin myself.

(And of course I know that paper is sooo 20th century, and that Lucas' unavoidable creation, namely Mutt's son, Jett "Junior" Jones who would now be in his forties, would use Siri for notetaking :p )

lederbuch-02.jpg

IndyJoey

I'm a big fan of leatherbound indy notebooks too! Im always looking for something good to take in the field, and i had seen magnoli's before, but wasnt sure how good of quality it is. Glad to hear its good, i might just buy one... Another thing that i like notebooks for, lined ones i write down all my random thoughts in. Jokes, scientific theories, etc. But im still looking for a good lined one. For a plain one, there really arent that many good plain journals... it is always hard to come by one in the store, unless you are in an art store, but those are normally really big... but glad to hear there are more people who like that type of thing. Does anyone have good advice on lined books, considering magnoli has a good plain one?

Indy Byrd

I too love the stationary aspect of the Indiana Jones films. I currently have 4 or 5 journals that I have various notes etc. in them. I bought a Young Indiana Jones journal off eBay last year that looks like it but has woven paper pages in it. My brother in law, who is in a rock band, traveled to Europe while on tour, before Christmas and bought several books like the A7 shown above that he writes music and songs in.

I have found a website that produces custom journals, lined and blank based on your specifications. The site is called Transient Books and they have several options available on size, thickness, paper, etc. that you can choose from. I used them to recreate the Raiders journal and it looks fantastic!

IndyJoey

Just wondering, how much did the Raiders journal you got custom made cost? Because magnoli has one. This one. And it runs 43 dollars. And was yours lined? Because the actual one in Raiders had lined paper on it.

Indy Byrd

IndyJoey said:
Just wondering, how much did the Raiders journal you got custom made cost? Because magnoli has one. This one. And it runs 43 dollars. And was yours lined? Because the actual one in Raiders had lined paper on it.

The one that I had made was 29. and some change. The one I had made was 100 pages thick as the one Magnoli has is thicker. I had checked on one from Transient was a little more, like 53.00. However, you can have literally thousands of options to make your personal journal with your name on the cover.

Here is the link to my journal I had made....

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg573/indybyrd/P8140033.jpg

Indy Byrd

Yes sir. The journal in that size originally came with blank pages, but like I said, they will build it to your specifications and to what you want. All I had to say was I wanted the pages lined and they made it that way. Just clink on their link that I posted earlier and just send them an email and tell them what it is you want and they will shoot you a price!