Novel cover artwork

StoneTriple

After an extensive search of the board and coming up empty (oddly enough, the search engine kept dropping the word novel from the strings);

Is there any place where high-res versions of the cover art from the novels is available? Preferably without the logos or copy? I've been able to find album artwork from artists' sites before and wondered if there may be something similar for the Indy novels. Back\spine\front is one illustration and some of them would make nice computer desktops. Only one on the Struzan site and it's small. Thought there might be a place where prints are for sale.

Thanks in advance.

Crack that whip

I'd remembered discussion of a company called Kilian Enterprises offering posters of the cover art from these (this same company issued Struzan's Raiders art from the foreign release posters on a 10th Anniversary one-sheet for collectors), but had been under the impression they never actually released them; I've mentioned it once or twice in these forums before.

On a recent visit to my parents' home, though, and seeing my old stuff, I was going through the merchandise catalog section in the middle of one of the old Lucasfilm Fan Club magazines (the publication that eventually became The Star Wars Insider), and saw a ton of old Indiana Jones merchandise offered that I'd forgotten about, including the poster of the Peril at Delphi cover art. I think it was only $10 or so, and a nice-sized poster; I assume now that since it did get as far as being listed / offered for sale in the magazine (which I totally hadn't remembered, for some reason) then it did get printed, but I don't know for sure, and have no idea how many copies might be floating around out there, or whether they managed to do posters of any of the others (though on this last point I'd guess "no").

StoneTriple said:
Is there any place where high-res versions of the cover art from the novels is available? Preferably without the logos or copy? I’ve been able to find album artwork from artists' sites before and wondered if there may be something similar for the Indy novels. Back\spine\front is one illustration and some of them would make nice computer desktops. Only one on the Struzan site and it’s small. Thought there might be a place where prints are for sale.
A lot of Drew's can be found in this book... if you're willing to spend a little on it.

Stoo

Laserschwert said:
This is all the Indy stuff in the "Drew: Ouevre"-book:
Awesome, Laserschwert!(y) :hat:
Left side of Image 5...What was that for? There's an illustration of the deleted scene of Indy w/spider from "Crusade".
Image 7 is curious, too. Was that for "Emperor's Tomb"/"Infernal Machine"?

Here is the only decent image I have of a full painting for the novels. Martin Caiden's Sky Pirates!:

07_SkyPirates_FULL.jpg

StoneTriple

Laserschwert said:
This is all the Indy stuff in the "Drew: Ouevre"-book:

Fantastic! I can see two that I mentioned for sure. Definitely worth getting the book.

Thanks, man.

Stoo said:
Here is the only decent image I have of a full painting for the novels. Martin Caiden's Sky Pirates!:

07_SkyPirates_FULL.jpg

Thanks! I'm a big fan of his work. He really does have a way of capturing the character. This larger one is a good example of why I think these illustrations would make nice computer desktops. Because they were done specifically for book covers, the main illustration is right. The left is always somewhat simple, for all the copy.

Stoo said:
Left side of Image 5...What was that for?
That was for the 20th Anniversary Re-Release of "Raiders".

Stoo said:
Image 7 is curious, too. Was that for "Emperor's Tomb"/"Infernal Machine"?
Yep, that's "Infernal Machine":

This is "Emperor's Tomb" (also by Struzan, but not in the book):

You should check my poster thread over at the ScummVM-forums.

It also includes a clean FOA-poster (done by William Eaken, successfully mimicing Struzan's style):

StoneTriple

Man, the Seven Veils artwork is really nice. Dance Of The Giants is nice too. Thanks for posting them. Those are great for reference.

yodazone

Speaking of "Fate of Atlantis" artwork up there....

I recently found this early/preview/alternate painted cover image of Dave Dorman's cover to the "Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis" issue #2 (comic) from a page in the "Dark Horse Comics Futures 1991" preview book:

fgf.jpg
dh.jpg

Here's the classic cover to the "Fate of Atlantis" cover #2 next to the image:

indianajonesfateofatlanzq3.jpg
foa2.jpg

Same background but different Indy pose!

(y)(y)

Last edited:

Kooshmeister

Just pointing this out, but the artwork of Indy punching a Nazi soldier on the cover of Hollow Earth was also used on one of the issues of the comic book version of Fate of Atlantis, and in both instances it's from the tank fight in Last Crusade.

thule_engl.jpg

Foaissue4.jpg

Crusadetank.jpg

Awesome shot, looks even better in art form on these covers. :)

yodazone

The "Indiana Jones & the Philosopher's Stone" Indy looks like the one taken from the same Indy stance of the cover to "Fate of Atlantis" #1:

stein_der_weisen_engl.jpg

Here's the FOA cover along with the lithograph pic without title/logos:

ija1-1.jpg
ijlitho.jpg

The "Indiana Jones & the Dinosaur Eggs" cover/pose almost looks like the "Thunder in the Orient" issue #1 Indy too:

dinosaureggs.jpg
untitled.jpg

indythunder-1.jpg

:D

Last edited:

The_Raiders

I don't really like cover art with a TOD Indy look, I mean that IS my favorite Indy look (avatar obviously) but really on how many adventures is he gonna loose the right sleeve, have bandage on the right hand and have a hole on the left knee of his pants? :p

yodazone

Here are a couple of cool "Indy" comic covers from the 2006 Dallas ComicCon program comic book.

Tom Hodges & Cat Staggs illustrate the front cover featuring Marion & Indy from "Raiders"....

Dave Dorman illustrates the painted back cover which features Marion Ravenwood being rescued by Boba Fett!

dallascon2.jpg
dallascondorman.jpg

(y)

Last edited:

Stoo

In the back of "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" comic #6, there's a full-page, colour ad
for the upcoming "Fate of Atlantis" series that has some artwork I've never seen before.

Plus, the last page shows 3 of next month's (August 92's) Dark Horse titles, including "Fate".
The different artwork is used on the cover mock-up. Does anyone know who did this piece?
It could be Dave Dorman...Anyway, more "Fate of Atlantis" artwork!:D

yodazone

Stoo said:
In the back of "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" comic #6, there's a full-page, colour ad
for the upcoming "Fate of Atlantis" series that has some artwork I've never seen before.

Plus, the last page shows 3 of next month's (August 92's) Dark Horse titles, including "Fate".
The different artwork is used on the cover mock-up. Does anyone know who did this piece?
It could be Dave Dorman...Anyway, more "Fate of Atlantis" artwork!:D

ijatpbay8.jpg

That was the cover to the "Fate of Atlantis" trade collection from 1992.

It's featured inside the recent "Indy" Volume 1 Omnibus too!

(y)

Last edited:

Indy&HanFan

yodazone said:
Here are a couple of cool "Indy" comic covers from the 2006 Dallas ComicCon program comic book.

Tom Hodges & Cat Staggs illustrate the front cover featuring Marion & Indy from "Raiders"....

Dave Dorman illustrates the painted back cover which features Marion Ravenwood being rescued by Boba Fett!

dallascon2.jpg
dallascondorman.jpg

(y)

boba holding marion. lol!