Hypothetical Question

Niteshade007

Let's say that Spielberg, Lucas, and Ford never made Indiana Jones. The series never existed. Lucas kept it to himself for a while. Now, in the year 2007, he decides to go for it. He brings the idea up to Spielberg, and the two decide to go for it and make an Indy movie. Now, here is my question: Who would you cast in the movie?

Now, before people go saying that only Harrison can do it, the only rule of this game is that you cannot choose anyone from the original cast to take on their role. It has to be an entirely new cast. So, who would you cast?

I know some people tend to be a little...defensive about Harrison playing Indy. Please keep in mind that this is just for fun.

I'm still thinking about my cast, but I would like to hear everyone else's ideas as well.

Bullwhip

Cool thread. Off the top of my head I'd pick Daniel Craig for Indy. Not too imaginative. Have to think on it (it's late here) some more.

Finn

Staff member
My very tongue-in-cheek-yet-semi-serious approach:

Ryan Reynolds for Indy

Mary Elizabeth Winstead for Marion

Oliver Platt for Sallah

Hugh Laurie for Marcus Brody

AASQGASA.

deckard24

Indy: Eric Bana, Gerard Butler, Nathan Fillion(Finn's Favorite), Edward Norton(If he bulked up a bit ala American History X), Craig is an interesting possibility( Although I don't know how he'd look in the fedora, those ears might ruin the look), and perhaps Russell Crowe?

Marion: Jennifer Connelly is the first to come to mind!

As for the rest I'll have to think on it!

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I like the idea of Oliver Platt for Sallah; along the lines of the tongue-in-cheek, author and comedian John Hodgman would be funny as Colonel Musgrove (my avatar). Roger Rees for Marcus. I'd like to think of somebody good for Belloq, but I'm not sure at the moment. Same goes for Indy.

sarah navarro

IndyFan89 said:
Nick Cage-Indy

Jessica Beil-Marion

Unknown-Sallah

Ricky Gervais-Marcus

nicholas cage???i think hes a bad actor , sorry

indy-dennis qauid...hey they look similar
:whip:

marion ravenwwod-julia roberts

walter donovan-anthony hopkins

Niteshade007

Finn said:
Ryan Reynolds for Indy

I actually thought about Ryan Reynolds, lol. My cast would be:

Indiana Jones - Hugh Jackman. Not my favorite actor, but I think that he could easily play this part. My other thoughts were Matt Damon (wrong voice) and Nathan Fillon.

Belloq - George Clooney. I know it seems kind of odd, but to me at least, he is the epitome of class and sophistication. I also thought about Alan Rickman and the French guy from Ocean's Twelve

Marion - Seriously thinking about Jessica Alba, but that's basically because she's so incredibly gorgeous. But Kate Beckinsdale would work as well. For a bit I thought about Katie "I'm with Crazy" Holmes, but decided against that.

Sallah - Still not sure about this one. Thought about Jeffrey Tambor, but I don't think he would be the best choice.

Toht - Michael Jackson. No, I'm kidding, although he would be very scary.

Finn

Staff member
Niteshade007 said:
I actually thought about Ryan Reynolds, lol.
I was trying to come up with names that aren't franchise, but yet solid enough for most people to recognize (with a bit of smirk, though). That's the way they should go if they were to recast, instead of just putting up guys and gals whose name and face everybody knows.

Bullwhip

sarah navarro said:
nicholas cage???i think hes a bad actor , sorry

indy-dennis qauid...hey they look similar
:whip:

Agreed on the Nicholas Cage sentiment, and also with Dennis Quaid as Indy. In fact, I was watching Innerspace a couple weeks ago and thinking he had the same charm as Harrison Ford.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Had some thoughts for Last Crusade...Robert Duvall might be a good Dr. Jones Sr., depending on who'd be Indy, while Ed Harris could be great (albeit with too much star power) as either Vogel or Donovan. I wouldn't mind seeing Steven Weber as Donovan either, after his Hollywood executive turn on <I>Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip</I>; he was the best part of a bad series.

Blackster

I'd go for...

Nathan Fillion as Indy - (he'd pull off the one-liners and roguish charm well, plus he deserves a big movie after Serenity)

Claudia Black as Marion - (she's got the look, she's sexy, she's tough and she could kick arse)

Olivier Martinez as Belloq - (he's French, for a start, and he'd be much more of a dangerous equal to Indy)

Jim Broadbent as Marcus - (I know he's in IV, and there are rumours he MIGHT be playing this part, but I reckon he'd suit it)

I must admit, I'm stumped on Sallah. That's got me.

Plus, with the above cast, they wouldn't have to spend half the budget hiring the actors and pump more into the action! Win win situation. :D

Eric Solo

Possible Indys: Thomas Jane, Eric Bana, Clive Owen, Aaron Eckhart

Kate Beckinsale or Selma Blair as Marion.

This is a stretch, but maybe Parker Posey as Marion

Alan Rickman as Belloq

Last edited:

Eric Solo

Papa Jones said:
I'd go for Eric Bana
Marion: Kate Bosworth
Sallah: Jorge Garcia (from Lost)

I didn't like Kate Bosworth Superman Returns. Maybe it was the way her character was written. She looks good, but that's it.

Vendetta08

Eric Solo said:
Possible Indys: Thomas Jane, Eric Bana, Clive Owen, Aaron Eckhart

Kate Beckinsale or Selma Blair as Marion.

This is a stretch, but maybe Parker Posey as Marion

Alan Rickman as Belloq

Good list here.

Niteshade007

I like Eric Solo's list except for the possibility of Selma Blair. She never bothered me until I watched Cruel Intentions for the first time recently. I couldn't tell if her character was retarded or naive. Maybe since I enjoyed some of her later work I shouldn't be so hard on her, but that had to be the worst acting I've seen in a LONG time.

But I LOVE Alan Rickman, I think he's so great.

bflah91989

I'm a big Daniel Craig fan but I don't see him playing Indy. BTW wasn't he in one the Young Indy epsiodes?

Anyways I like the idea of Russell Crowe. I have liked him in everything I can think of.

Dennis Quaid does resemble Harrison. I noticed while watching the Flight of the Phoenix and The Day after Tomorrow. But just imagine that we have never seen what Indy looks like. So I think that point is void. I like Quaid as an actor though.

How about Kevin Costner? I am pretty sure that he wears a fedora in the Untouchables and he doesn't look bad with it on.