Blu-ray vs HD DVD

TheMutt92

The Man said:
Universal have announced the re-release of the Back To The Future trilogy. On standard DVD. D'oh!!!

http://www.movieweb.com/news/NEG2LNLKkrsRKL

I know this may not be the place to ask about this, but oh well...

Which would be more worth to get: the trilogy pack from '02, or the individual releases that just came out?

If each of the film's had a 2-disc packaging like film one I wouldn't have any second thoughts. But for anyone who may own or know any better, are the bonus features more worth it together from the trilogy pack or individual releases?

The Man

TheMutt92 said:
I know this may not be the place to ask about this, but oh well...

Which would be more worth to get: the trilogy pack from '02, or the individual releases that just came out?

If each of the film's had a 2-disc packaging like film one I wouldn't have any second thoughts. But for anyone who may own or know any better, are the bonus features more worth it together from the trilogy pack or individual releases?

Not sure, 92, but the trilogy is, by all accounts, on its way* to Hi-Def...

Gale also spoke to potential supplemental features on a Blu-ray version of the trilogy, saying only that never-before-seen bonus materials may appear, though he stopped short of offering any specifics.

*Slowly...

The Man

Drool!

9151527x.jpg

|ZiR|

I'm not so crazy about blu-ray/HD. I love the detail for environments and action sequences, but I hate being able to see every flaw, pore, and ounce of makeup on the actors. You're on TV; you're not supposed to look like a normal person. :dead:

phantom train

First of all, let me just say that I am a huge fan of DVD's, both of films and TV shows on DVD. The DVD format has truly revolutionized home video viewing, and we are now able to watch films and TV shows in a high-quality format that we never could before. Also, there are many films that were never on VHS that have made their way to DVD. This especially holds true for TV shows - we are now able to watch entire seasons of a TV show on DVD, and many/most of these shows were neveral available on VHS. Also, the picture/sound quality of DVD's are exponentially superior to their VHS counterparts. Plus, from a logistical standpoint, DVD's are much easier to store, are lighter, etc.

And, DVD's are, overall, much cheaper than their VHS counterparts were in their heyday.

That being said, I have seen Blu-ray DVD movies, and though the picture quality is probably better on Blu-ray DVD's when compared to regular DVD's, the difference is not as significant as the one between DVD's and VHS tapes.
Also, something that is critical when comparing Blu-ray DVD's to regular DVD's is the quality of the TV or computer monitor that you are watching the DVD (or Blu-ray DVD) on. I watch DVD's on my CRT computer monitor, and the picture quality is, for the most part, superb. The only times I have a problem is when the picture quality on the DVD itself has not been sufficiently re-mastered (or if the print is too poor to re-master). This is especially notable on older movies (or older TV shows) that were shot on film stock that has degraded, or TV shows that were shot on video - or, when the DVD print transfer was done directly from the VHS tape.

Anyway, I'm not too thrilled at the implication that at some point consumers will be forced to buy a Blu-ray player and Blu-ray DVD's because they will stop making regular DVD's. I for one will stick with my DVD player (and regular DVD's) until forced to do otherwise.

Just my .02....

Last edited:

The Man

Get thee ready to sell a kidney!

What will be announced? Special features? A firm release date? An acknowledgment that Han shot first but Lucas doesn?t care? We?ll find out Thursday when Lucasfilm makes their announcement regarding the upcoming set.

The Man

No, you DON'T have to buy the prequels...

As anticipated, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment officially announced today the Blu-ray release of Star Wars for September 2011.

The studio will release the saga in three distinct sets "to meet the needs of every Star Wars fan: Star Wars: The Complete Saga (a nine-disc set including all six films, priced at $139.99; Star Wars: Prequel Trilogy (a three-disc set including Episodes I-III, priced at $69.99); and Star Wars: Original Trilogy (a three-disc set including Episodes IV-VI, priced at $69.99).

Indy's brother

A Sept. 2011 release for SW, with no news of Indy's OT yet. Guess this shoots a 30 year anniversary blu-ray box set for Indy right in the ass. I'm starting to wonder why Lucas gives his other fans (that trash him more) more attention than us. I guess SW is simply the bigger cash-cow. Keep milking it, George. I know you need the money.

The Man

Indy's brother said:
A Sept. 2011 release for SW, with no news of Indy's OT yet. Guess this shoots a 30 year anniversary blu-ray box set for Indy right in the ass. I'm starting to wonder why Lucas gives his other fans (that trash him more) more attention than us. I guess SW is simply the bigger cash-cow. Keep milking it, George. I know you need the money.

I'll end up buying the full nine-discer. That bastard!

Screw Bluray and HD, by the time it's released the next format will have evolved and it still wont scratch the best available resolution: 35mm film.

I'd rather see them clean up the original film, reproduce it and put it back in theaters.

For home viewing it's fine, but soon enough the portable disk format will be abolished, (it may remain for back up), and you'll store your digital files on a home server's hard disk.

Dr. Gonzo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Screw Bluray and HD, by the time it's released the next format will have evolved and it still wont scratch the best available resolution: 35mm film.

I'd rather see them clean up the original film, reproduce it and put it back in theaters.

For home viewing it's fine, but soon enough the portable disk format will be abolished, (it may remain for back up), and you'll store your digital files on a home server's hard disk.

They need to start selling 35mm film prints. Ha.

Dr.Sartorius

What happens when 3D TV and 3D Blu-ray becomes popular and mainstream? Will everyone have to buy the 3D versions of the movies they already have?

teampunk

Dr.Sartorius said:
What happens when 3D TV and 3D Blu-ray becomes popular and mainstream? Will everyone have to buy the 3D versions of the movies they already have?
this will never happen. most people don't want to sit around with 3d glasses on to watch tv.

Dr. Gonzo said:
They need to start selling 35mm film prints. Ha.
Funny you should mention that, some guy from Australia sold a print of Raiders for AU$400 last year.

Wish I had the disposable income others do!

Someday baby, someday...

I.M.J.

teampunk said:
this will never happen. most people don't want to sit around with 3d glasses on to watch tv.

People said the same thing years ago in the U.S. when there was a debate about switching to digital and people owning widescreen T.V.s.

3-D is fine - I mean it's not like that by owning a 3-D T.V. that you can't watch 2-d high def!