Is Harrison Ford a faded star?

Raiders90

Outside of Indy 4 (which was a success due to it being a beloved, well knownbrand), Harrison really hasn't starred in any big hits or even any sizable hits in almost a decade. His last hit was What Lies Beneath, and that was in 2000, and his last major hit was Air Force One and that was 12 years ago!
It seems like he's really fallen far. He used to be an A List actor, but it really seems like he's a C or D list actor now. It's sad. :(

deckard24

Raiders112390 said:
Outside of Indy 4 (which was a success due to it being a beloved, well knownbrand), Harrison really hasn't starred in any big hits or even any sizable hits in almost a decade. His last hit was What Lies Beneath, and that was in 2000, and his last major hit was Air Force One and that was 12 years ago!
It seems like he's really fallen far. He used to be an A List actor, but it really seems like he's a C or D list actor now. It's sad. :(
I don't know if I would refer to him as a C or D list actor, but his star has definitely fallen a bit! I guess it's only natural with all careers, there will be a peak and an inevitable descent! Where Ford is concerned he can still bring in the big bucks with the right role ie. Indiana Jones or say Jack Ryan, but if it's along the lines of a film like Firewall or Sabrina, the crowds tend to stay away!

Unfortunately he's not as diverse as say Eastwood, who had a similar acting career with some big name characters like Dirty Harry, but then made a successful transition to directing balancing out the occasional flops he made! I'm sure I sound like a broken record, but personally I would love to see Ford work with some top-notch directors like Michael Mann, The Coen Bros., or even Eastwood. I think if he was in the right hands he would be right up there again, and with the attention on him not due to just starring in a huge summer tentpole film!

Indy's brother

Yeah, he's made some turkeys. But I prefer to think that just because Ford's career peaked years ago, that doesn't mean that he has fallen from grace in any way. Of course after the breathing life into one of the most iconic figures in film history, it would take something pretty severe to make me have any real negative feelings about his career.

No Ticket

I love Harrison Ford. I really do. He is awesome. But most of his movies lately have been awful. Indiana Jones 4 was definitely the best in YEARS, but it was (IMO) pretty mediocre for an Indy movie even though he played the character great, as expected.

Unfortunately, it does appear that he has fallen a few notches. He does great in roles like Indy, Star Wars or Air Force One... but he is getting older and not embracing the roles that should come with that. He can't be an action hero forever. I mean, I suppose he has proven recently that he can, but it's not going to A-list him again.

His good films are so iconic though that no matter how far removed from his peak he gets he will always be adored.

The Man

Ford should play the new Freddy Krueger...

calista_flockhart_91782897cbbjpg.jpg

"You are all my children now!"

Dr Bones

Most roles thrown his way contained an element of action which obviously will now mean he is not always first to be considered due to age.

We live in a youth obsessed culture.

I think he has a few cracks of the whip in him and could easily turn to a good comedy or role as a cop/detective that focuses more on drama/suspense than action.

De Niro and Pacino have kind of evolved from the usual gangster/mob fair....(had a few turkeys in the run as well) so I don't see why Harrison shouldn't keep on acting.

Now he's got Indy back in the limelight a new generation of cinema goers know the man in the hat....that can only be good for his prospects should he choose to keep acting.

Faded star?....No...I would say his personal life has become more his focus and with the success he has had, he can afford to take it easier and I say he deserves to.

agentsands77

Yeah, he's definitely a faded star. But that's what happens to most aging icons... they move out of the spotlight. It hasn't helped that Ford's project choice has been, by and large, pretty terrible, or that KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL didn't exactly launch him back into public favor.

Dyonus

I've never liked Harrison Ford myself. Don't get me wrong, no one can replace him as Indiana Jones, but outside of these movies and outside of the Star Wars movies (and maybe Fugitive) I don't care for him. I don't know why.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.film.com/features/story/31819234
How the mighty have fallen: Harrison Ford has never been the most dynamic presence outside of Indiana Jones regalia, but his small part in the ceremony (introducing the clip of Up in the Air) seemed to sap his very life force. I know they're talking about another Indy picture, but it can't be a good thing when the popular Google search term today regarding your proposed star is Harrison Ford stroke.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty harsh assesment in a long editorial:
http://chud.com/articles/articles/22194/1
Watching a Harrison Ford performance now is like watching a man daydreaming about being back home and building a cabinet or getting stoned or flying a plane over a deeply wooded mountainside. Those are all great ways to spend your time, and maybe instead of showing up on the sets of awful movies and giving his minimal effort, Ford should just stay at home and do those things. See, we're at another turning point, like in 1999, only it's more dangerous. Ford's on the verge of turning into a full-fledged joke, and if he does, he'll be tarnishing everything he ever did that was fun and real and cool. The decision on what Harrison Ford's legacy is rests only in the hands of Harrison Ford.

indyclone25

i dont think that he has really fallen , but i think that most people havent tapped him for much cause he has gotten up there in age , and who knows this new movie will only make around 50 million , but that is because his age is a major factor on the scripts he is given , to me he is the everyman and someone who had a great career , but it may be over for him..... not like he will be poor. he has enough money to last him til he enventually goes .

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Ford, over the past 2 decades, has made choices based on the overall product that is aligned to the Ford image. You go see a Ford movie, you get a Ford movie. That's the product. If the product does not make money for investors Ford sees that as a failure.

Ford acknowledges this. He also acknowledges he has made misteps due to this. (traffic, syrianna, the history of violence)

Ford star has simply faded simply because the product is stale and the audience has higher expectation and want something different. Unfortunately he is weighed down with his own expectations.

When ford has taken risks with his image they have paid off (Blade Runner, Mosquito Coast, Presumed Innocent). Again this is something that Ford needs to consider to raise his profile, along the lines of clinton Eastwood.

Goonie

I dunno, I thought his performace in Bruno should've gotten him some awards...

:gun: :D

*warning* one f-bomb
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0f1mSfF1D0w&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0f1mSfF1D0w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

DocWhiskey

Moedred said:
Pretty harsh assesment in a long editorial:
http://chud.com/articles/articles/22194/1

Harsh indeed.

How is Ford on the verge of turning into a full fledged joke?

Did KotCS bunch up everyone's panties that bad?

His return to the role of Indiana Jones was at times squirm-worthy, losing all the swagger and charm of the character and replacing it with low fiber grumpiness and almost palpable prostate enlargement.

Oh, I guess so. But honestly, Ford was the best part of KotCS. Even if you hated it, you have to say, he at least retained the character well.

That article pokes fun at how old he is, then complains that he act's like an "old man" in his new films.

Well....that's because, you know, he is.

Last edited:

Peru1936

Ford's best continuous run was from 1980 to 1985: Empire, Raiders, Bladerunner, Jedi, Temple and Witness (some may like to go on ahead to '86 and include Mosquito Coast, and then of course you'd have to forward to '88 and include Frantic).

Then there was Crusade, Presumed Innocent, the Jack Ryan films, The Fugitive, and then pretty much snoozeville until Crystal Skull.

I haven't seen Crossing Over but it hasn't done too well.

Hopefully there'll be at least one win between Extraordinary Measures and Morning Glory (though the former is getting a January release which is pretty much studio code for "We don't think this movie is very good").