The Oscars

Forbidden Eye

My favorite "moment" of the Oscars was Bill Murray's shout-out to Harold Ramis.

There were posts in the "Rest in Peace" thread curious whether Ramis and Murray reconciled. It was nice to see Murray was able to put behind whatever conflicts they had and acknowledge some of his best work was due to Ramis' collaboration. Whether they made peace before Ramis died is unclear. I'll just assume the Chicago Tribune is right and that they did.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Last edited by Moedred : Today at 01:41 PM. Reason: extra large pic

But But But...it was an exceptionally large pizza.....

kongisking

Worst part of the night for me? When Harrison appeared, as the Raiders march played.

I know it's not their intent, but man, does that depress me...

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:
Last edited by Moedred : Today at 01:41 PM. Reason: extra large pic

But But But...it was an exceptionally large pizza.....

My memory may be off but he seemed to chase down that slice a little too aggressively.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
My memory may be off but he seemed to chase down that slice a little too aggressively.

munchy munchy munchy.

Did he offer any to his bride? I didn't see.

Le Saboteur

Pale Horse said:
13-24. Better than I've done in the past, but still missed some of the biggies.

giphy.gif

That's better than anybody in my immediate circle did. I walked away with 8 for 24 on the evening. Which is decent* for having not seen anything. I would have done better if I had gone for the obvious choices like Gatsby for production design and costumes.

* - A .333 average would be fantastic if this were the Majors!

Still don't see how Gravity is deserving of an Academy Award for cinematography when three quarters of the picture was created inside of a computer. Phillipe La Sourd was robbed.

Of course, the hometown crowd was much kinder to the film.

Looking back over my selections, the only one I would consider changing is Jeremy Schahill's Dirty Wars. It's a five star flick on strength of its message and information, but the Ridley Scott-like presentation undercut the effectiveness of that message. It's not hard to see why 20 Feet From Stardom took home the hardware in retrospect. If I changed my pick, however, it would go to The Square.

For anybody interested in this year's crop of documentary nominees, four of the five* are available on Netflix's streaming service.

* - 20 Feet From Stardom is only available on disc.

kongisking said:
I know it's not their intent, but man, does that depress me...

giphy.gif

Forbidden Eye said:
My favorite "moment"...

I only tuned in to see Gravity win Best Score and Travolta flub Idina Menzel's name. While I thought about watching more, I was too uninvolved this year to really care.

And for everybody who's still upset that American Hustle went home empty handed, your consolation prize.

1329414679_anne_hathaway_crossing_legs.gif

Well did you, evah?!

And if anybody needed definitive proof that "serious" film people hate animation then look no further.

kongisking

Love Spacey's expression in the photo there.

Travolta's mangling of Menzel's name had me confused for so long I almost missed the beginning of her song. Which would have been a tragedy. My God, is that woman talented...

And you people totally know Hathaway did that on purpose... :p

I heard about the Academy flat-out not even watching most of the Animated Feature nominees. Now I feel immensely guilty for being overjoyed Frozen won...:mad:

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
Gravity...One, it's remarkably intense despite the intimate nature, and two, this is a movie that, if you see it on just a home video screen, you very well may fail to properly appreciate it's technical achievements.

I know somebody who sells their recent Blu-ray purchases off cheap shortly after watching them. (I guess £4 is cheap though it's more than I normally pay).

Gravity is the next one he's getting rid of.

I bought World War Z and Kick-Ass 2 a few weeks ago and loved both of them. I passed on Iron Man 3 but picked up Captain Phillips.

Not sure about Gravity, though I did enjoy Moon!

Henry W Jones

Montana Smith said:
I know somebody who sells their recent Blu-ray purchases off cheap shortly after watching them. (I guess £4 is cheap though it's more than I normally pay).

Gravity is the next one he's getting rid of.

I bought World War Z and Kick-Ass 2 a few weeks ago and loved both of them. I passed on Iron Man 3 but picked up Captain Phillips.

Not sure about Gravity, though I did enjoy Moon!

Kick-ass 2 should be called lick-ass because it does. I could barely make ot through that crap.

Montana Smith

Henry W Jones said:
Kick-ass 2 should be called lick-ass because it does. I could barely make ot through that crap.

Horses for courses. I couldn't make it through Avengers by ordinary means.

Captain Phillips is an incredible movie. Just as it says on the box, "Tom Hanks gives the performance of a lifetime."

Greengrass' documentary roots shine through as much of the film is more like a fly on the wall following the process of events - especially apparent with the doctor's acting at the end. Not that the events should be taken as any account of real life itself.

Pale Horse

Staff member
I've seen none of the films this year. I'll weigh in later with my picks. Thoughts? Fellow Raven Hollywood Luddites?

Pale Horse

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
I've seen none of the films this year. I'll weigh in later with my picks. Thoughts? Fellow Raven Hollywood Luddites?

Saw Boyhood ...what a no character arc film. No wonder there's a manhood crisis in America.

Dr. Gonzo

Pale Horse said:

Waiting to see Birdman before I say anything...

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Oscar predictions? I think Ford's work ethic after nearly dying twice, plus great reviews for Age of Adalaine, could win favor from fellow actors. Not to mention being one of the last male actors of any age who can put warm bodies in seats on a grand scale.
Harrison Ford's emotional role as Han Solo could result in a nomination in the wide open best supporting actor category — marking the first Ford nomination since 1985's Witness. "The best supporting actor category generally goes to the veteran actor overdue for accolades. This year it could be Harrison Ford versus Sylvester Stallone in Creed. Wouldn't that be something?"

Pale Horse

Staff member
Seriously?! Ford for Supporting Actor? Based on Solo?!

With Tom Hardy in the Revenant, Sly Stalone in Creed

as well as Ruffalo, Bale and Elba and Rylance? (in films I've yet to see)

Not a snowballs chance in Hell.

But, I'd nominate him for a Razzy with his delivery in this line:

giphy.gif

Z dweller

Pale Horse said:
Seriously?! Ford for Supporting Actor? Based on Solo?!

Not a snowballs chance in Hell.
Through Oscar history, we've seen a few questionable nominations though, haven't we?

Sometimes your rational side gets the better of you, Pale. ;)

Duaner

Though I would love to see Ford be honored with an Oscar before his career is over, I don't think it will occur this year. He should be a shoo-in for the Saturn Award though. :D