AFI's 100 Years of Cheers

Joe Brody

Check out the List. Anything missing?

Some glaring oversights on the list got me thinking. Well what exactly does the '100 Hundred Cheers' mean? According to the AFI it's the "100 Most Inspiring Films Of All Time." AFI's criteria:

The jury have been asked to choose up to 100 inspirational films from a comprehensive list, including entries such as APOLLO 13, BREAKING AWAY, CHARIOTS OF FIRE, THE COLOR PURPLE, DEAD MAN WALKING, DEAD POET'S SOCIETY, 8 MILE, ERIN BROCKOVICH, FIELD OF DREAMS, GANDHI, GOOD WILL HUNTING, GOODBYE MR. CHIPS, HOOSIERS, IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, THE KARATE KID, NATIONAL VELVET, NORMA RAE, THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST, RAIN MAN, ROCKY, SCHINDLER'S LIST, SEABISCUIT, THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION and THE SOUND OF MUSIC.

Due to the extensive number of movies that inspire in American film, jurors may also write in votes for up to five films that may not already appear on the ballot.

What I don't get is how a film like Raiders that inspired a re-newed interest in film classics, fashion, countless copycats and an interest in archaeology -- didn't make the list.

I mean seriously how many kids in backwater America dedicated their youth to shooting a frame-by-frame homage film to Serpico or Rain Man? I know I've spent months looking for a site to post my An Officer and a Gentleman fan fiction.

Either the English language failed the AFI (and the voters didn't comprehend what they were voting for) or the voters were too sheltered -- I simply don't understand how many of the films got on the list. How can an admittedly selfish film like Close Encounters make the list but not 8 Mile(which appears to have been specifically referenced in the ballot materials)?

Deadlock

Is it me, or is there some list of 100 movies coming out every other week lately? :rolleyes:

"You glorify the past, the future dries up..."

U2, God Pt. 2

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
AFI does this once a year, twice in 2005. They've listed the top 100 movies, stars, laughs, thrills, passions, heroes/villains, quotes, scores, and now cheers. Indy has ranked before This list is for feel-good movies. Movies that make you weepy and choked up, in a good way. AFI is running out of categories, but as long as the TV special attracts viewers, they'll keep repackaging old movie clips.

But who cares? Maxim ranked Marion the 4th greatest movie drinker!
http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=8841

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Indy's previous AFI rankings:
http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/100yearslist.aspx
movies - Raiders, #60
thrills - Raiders, #10 (Crusade & Doom among 400 noms.)
heroes - Indy #2, after Atticus Finch
songs - ("Anthing Goes" among 400 noms. Also "You're the Top" from Anything Goes. They were allowed to nominate multiple songs from any movie, so apparently Kate Capshaw sang it better than in the original! :D )
quotes - ("Snakes! Why did it have to be snakes?" among 400 noms.)
scores - (Raiders among 250 noms.)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Moedred said:
heroes - Indy #2, after Atticus Finch
I'm gonna predict before the decade's over we'll have a film adaption of Go Set a Watchman (how Scout became Silk Spectre), and whatever else is in Harper Lee's deposit box will be published. And Atticus's status as our greatest cinematic hero will be reexamined.