Indy 4 Lovers Thread

Benraianajones

My message got posted in the wrong topic...I will edit this and hopefully put the correct reply here in a moment

Last edited:

Benraianajones

Raiders112390 said:
And yeah, I feel TOD and KOTCS are in the same category--Both mindlessly fun adventure films to just enjoy and stretch your sense of disbelief while watching. LC is "better", a deeper film than Raiders (due to the Father-Son dynamic and history), but is also comedic. It's not really a CLASSIC in the way Raiders is. Raiders has funny moments but is mostly serious. They're all different of course, but it's the way I chose to categorize them.

I agree with that. I actually find TOD and KOTCS to be the most comicbook like of the 4 movies. LC is comical, but deep and serious in at the same time in relation to the father/son and eternal life - is it worth it? question. I don't need to go in to Raiders since everyone knows how that is.

TOD and Crystal as I mentioned have this cartoony feel to them, even though TOD has slavery and is considered dark, I never really viewed it as a dark movie at all. As a kid it was my favourite movie and sometimes deep down I think it might still be my favourite Indy movie. Though the truth is I can't decide if I even have a favourite. I love how all 4 movies differ yet still hold something the same as the other throughout.

I had not watched an IJ movie since 2009. I had this desire to watch one...and out of all of them...it was KOTCS. I really wanted to see it again, like Temple of Doom, I can sit down and watch KOTCS easily whenever I want, probably because neither movie is to be taken too serious or deep as opposed to Raiders or, to a lesser extent, LC. For the latter I have to be in the right mood for them.

I actually thought after rewatching KOTCS, the movie really isn't that bad at all. I liked it anyway but I was let down somewhat - I still feel the potential for more was there - but I accept it for what it is. I'll go in to a bit more detail.

I think the first half of the movie is really good, it reminds me of an Indy movie easily. I even like the way we have the blue sky and mountains and people messing around on the road at the start. It reminds me of the "innocent" kids expedition on The Last Crusade, which you can in hindsight be aware that, whilst its fun and games now - something sinister awaits in fate (in LC case, the whole grail temple and all the deaths that occur there).

I think from the start - to the warehouse, to all the college and graveyard stuff is really nicely paced and I'd say the movie goes well up until Marion is introduced. I can't believe so much fuss was caused over the fridge...well, I can..but it lasted like 5 seconds. You could blink and miss it. True it kind of makes Indy seem invincible and takes suspension of belief somewhat too far even by Indy standards - we still had cartoony stuff like it in TOD, so I can fogive it. It is just an over the top way to sort of end the first littlle chapter and say "Hey Indy's back!".

To me the fridge scene becomes only an "issue" when paired up with later events - there are just a few too many "large suspension of belief" moments in the same film. Fridge and bascially 4 gigantic drops down cliff faces in one movie..it is a bit too much. If they were in seperate movies, might have been somewhat more stomachable. But it isn't even these large events that are much trouble to me...it is the monkey swing. It just looks so corny and the physics and momentum of the swinging looks really off, the gravity on the scene looks bad. If they were going to do this swinging part, just make it look first person or something. Most of my freinds who like the movie only really cringe at this scene.

Anyway back on top, the first half up until Marion seems fine overall. Acceptable, action, some slower paced stuff, and works nice.

When Marion arrives, it becomes somewhat of a family circus. They are held captive but jokes and and such are being made, comical family arguments and rubber snakes and joke exchanges as they sink. It sort of really grinds on any seriousness the movie did have up til this point, because it still did have some.

The jungle chase I actually liked...I liked the scene where Spalko holds the skull to her chest when Indy and family approach, you see how serious she is taking this and what it means to her. I like the way Irina gets involved, even the sword fight on the trucks - could have been so much better. The music on that scene gives it this fantastical "Peter pan" vibe and not a serious "one mistake and your neck could be impaled by a sword" vibe. As Marion makes comments about Mutt not standing correctly, and so on. Marion just seems like a cartoon of herself and seems more like shes being depicted in Willie Scott's style.

Overall the jungle chase is nice, I even like the ants and can happily accept them carrying a man in to a ant hole, but then we have the tree bending like rubber (this scene could have been done, but to look less comical and cartoony easily). Then we have 3 giant waterfall drops which are really useless and have no sense of tension or even fun..they just drop for about a minute and then its over with..it adds nothing at all except me thinking "this minute could have been used better". Let them drop down one waterfall which isn't huge, then scramble for land or something..let us have a feeling there is some danger.

I like Akator, but we don't see enough of it, and the obelisk trap - which I loved in the trailer, lasted literally for about 18 seconds..I wish let down there. It looked great in the trailer, such a waste of an interesting trap in an Indy movie. As for the finale, I am fine with it, but I wish Irina's death at the end was a bit longer, she vanishes too quickly after setting on fire. We get all the way to the end - and admit it, everyones eager to see the villains demise...but she is there and gone way too quick.

There was just so much that could be done in the second half, even minor tweaks that could have made it better, and just a bit more serious but they went all comical and cartoony somewhat too much near the second half. TOD sure had its comical moments, but on that rope bridge at the end? That was sure worrying! No one was cracking jokes during that segment.

So overall, a nice movie and I am happy to watch it, but just wish the latter half was a bit better.

mikieson

Benraianajones said:
I agree with that. I actually find TOD and KOTCS to be the most comicbook like of the 4 movies. LC is comical, but deep and serious in at the same time in relation to the father/son and eternal life - is it worth it? question. I don't need to go in to Raiders since everyone knows how that is.

TOD and Crystal as I mentioned have this cartoony feel to them, even though TOD has slavery and is considered dark, I never really viewed it as a dark movie at all. As a kid it was my favourite movie and sometimes deep down I think it might still be my favourite Indy movie. Though the truth is I can't decide if I even have a favourite. I love how all 4 movies differ yet still hold something the same as the other throughout.

I had not watched an IJ movie since 2009. I had this desire to watch one...and out of all of them...it was KOTCS. I really wanted to see it again, like Temple of Doom, I can sit down and watch KOTCS easily whenever I want, probably because neither movie is to be taken too serious or deep as opposed to Raiders or, to a lesser extent, LC. For the latter I have to be in the right mood for them.

I actually thought after rewatching KOTCS, the movie really isn't that bad at all. I liked it anyway but I was let down somewhat - I still feel the potential for more was there - but I accept it for what it is. I'll go in to a bit more detail.

I think the first half of the movie is really good, it reminds me of an Indy movie easily. I even like the way we have the blue sky and mountains and people messing around on the road at the start. It reminds me of the "innocent" kids expedition on The Last Crusade, which you can in hindsight be aware that, whilst its fun and games now - something sinister awaits in fate (in LC case, the whole grail temple and all the deaths that occur there).

I think from the start - to the warehouse, to all the college and graveyard stuff is really nicely paced and I'd say the movie goes well up until Marion is introduced. I can't believe so much fuss was caused over the fridge...well, I can..but it lasted like 5 seconds. You could blink and miss it. True it kind of makes Indy seem invincible and takes suspension of belief somewhat too far even by Indy standards - we still had cartoony stuff like it in TOD, so I can fogive it. It is just an over the top way to sort of end the first littlle chapter and say "Hey Indy's back!".

To me the fridge scene becomes only an "issue" when paired up with later events - there are just a few too many "large suspension of belief" moments in the same film. Fridge and bascially 4 gigantic drops down cliff faces in one movie..it is a bit too much. If they were in seperate movies, might have been somewhat more stomachable. But it isn't even these large events that are much trouble to me...it is the monkey swing. It just looks so corny and the physics and momentum of the swinging looks really off, the gravity on the scene looks bad. If they were going to do this swinging part, just make it look first person or something. Most of my freinds who like the movie only really cringe at this scene.

Anyway back on top, the first half up until Marion seems fine overall. Acceptable, action, some slower paced stuff, and works nice.

When Marion arrives, it becomes somewhat of a family circus. They are held captive but jokes and and such are being made, comical family arguments and rubber snakes and joke exchanges as they sink. It sort of really grinds on any seriousness the movie did have up til this point, because it still did have some.

The jungle chase I actually liked...I liked the scene where Spalko holds the skull to her chest when Indy and family approach, you see how serious she is taking this and what it means to her. I like the way Irina gets involved, even the sword fight on the trucks - could have been so much better. The music on that scene gives it this fantastical "Peter pan" vibe and not a serious "one mistake and your neck could be impaled by a sword" vibe. As Marion makes comments about Mutt not standing correctly, and so on. Marion just seems like a cartoon of herself and seems more like shes being depicted in Willie Scott's style.

Overall the jungle chase is nice, I even like the ants and can happily accept them carrying a man in to a ant hole, but then we have the tree bending like rubber (this scene could have been done, but to look less comical and cartoony easily). Then we have 3 giant waterfall drops which are really useless and have no sense of tension or even fun..they just drop for about a minute and then its over with..it adds nothing at all except me thinking "this minute could have been used better". Let them drop down one waterfall which isn't huge, then scramble for land or something..let us have a feeling there is some danger.

I like Akator, but we don't see enough of it, and the obelisk trap - which I loved in the trailer, lasted literally for about 18 seconds..I wish let down there. It looked great in the trailer, such a waste of an interesting trap in an Indy movie. As for the finale, I am fine with it, but I wish Irina's death at the end was a bit longer, she vanishes too quickly after setting on fire. We get all the way to the end - and admit it, everyones eager to see the villains demise...but she is there and gone way too quick.

There was just so much that could be done in the second half, even minor tweaks that could have made it better, and just a bit more serious but they went all comical and cartoony somewhat too much near the second half. TOD sure had its comical moments, but on that rope bridge at the end? That was sure worrying! No one was cracking jokes during that segment.

So overall, a nice movie and I am happy to watch it, but just wish the latter half was a bit better.
Good assessment..I agree for the most part..I am different then most people. I dont watch movies with a reviewers eye. I watch for fun. AND like you, I find indy movies fun and enjoyable. To take them any other way is wrong..

re

I think there is still a fair chance that Indy 5 will happen, but indy films take so long i dont see it coming out till 2015 and Harrison will be like 73 then, would love if they get his dad back for a flash back scene if Sean is still breathing.

Montana Smith said:
Its a fair cop.
2010-11-17-Kicked-Out.jpg

Dr. Gonzo

^ hahahaha! Son-of-a-*****.

You guys...

Raiders112390 said:
Bump. I wish this film wasn't so hated. It feels awkward liking a film most despise.

I kinda dug Prometheus, I don't feel awkward.
I know, I'm garbage.

Walecs

Túrin Turambar said:
I think there is still a fair chance that Indy 5 will happen, but indy films take so long i dont see it coming out till 2015 and Harrison will be like 73 then, would love if they get his dad back for a flash back scene if Sean is still breathing.
It's Sean Connery you're talking about. He's not better than Harrison, but he survived the flying hat of Goldfinger's henchman Oddjob.

I Don Quixote

This movie just makes me happy. :D Not the best, but certainly not awful.
It has fun action movie elements snf is very Indy. And very good at dealing with te genre of cold-war era space movies.
Very good.

kongisking

The film is flawed, but fun.

That shall be my opinion 'till the day I myself venture forth into the Great Unknown Mystery.