Indy 4 Lovers Thread

Michael24

Violet Indy said:
And you know, I was disappointed there wasn't a proper love scene with Marion and Indy, but the second time I clearly noticed more between them and became rather happy with the film
I was the same way. And I love the whole thing about "But they all had the same problem. They weren't you, honey." (y)

Sharlow

Michael24 said:
And I love the whole thing about "But they all had the same problem. They weren't you, honey." (y)

Now there is a line to make any woman swoon, and the delivery was definately swoon worthy.

Rococo

Michael24 said:
I was the same way. And I love the whole thing about "But they all had the same problem. They weren't you, honey." (y)

Great line- and just love the instant reaction from Marion- the whole relationship comes back in that one line, just like that.

I love this film. I think all of the films have strengths and weaknesses, and this one is no exception- but I really enjoyed it the first time, and in subsequent viewings have found more and more little things that have stood out for me, really making the film more nuanced than it appears on first watching. Of course, a few little things bug me, but I don't care- overall, it's great fun, a great family theme- and IMHO the return of Karen Allen really made the movie for me. She was a joy to watch in Raiders, and brought a special feel to this film that could not have been accomplished with bringing in any other actress.

bonoferox

The more I see it, the more I love it.

The best moment for me was seeing Marion and hearing her say his name in the same pitch she did over 20 years ago when she first saw him in her bar :)

Jones_Happens

I read every bad review and spoilery bit of information before my first viewing. I kept getting ready to cringe at parts people claimed were "terrible" and "going to ruin the franchise." I never cringed once. I loved it. My wife loved it. I'm taking my nephews this weekend.

IndyCon

I Absolutely Love Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

I absolutely love Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull I?m seeing it for a fourth time this weekend when I take my parents to see it, I can?t wait the more I see the movie the more I love it. All the haters can go to hell with Kali. :gun:

Sharlow

Going for the third time this weekend. Finally nagged my mum who was a huge harrison ford/Indiana jones/han solo fan back in the 80's, to come with me.
YAYYYYY I love INDY 4

Mothy

KOTCS should not have been made.

Crusade had the perfect finale, riding off into the sunset. All KOTCS has done is tarnish the brand and people's opinions of the series. Sure, a select few may like it, but the overall population despise it. They even laugh at it, at Indy's expense.

The last film does not compare with the other three and leaves a bad taste in ones mouth. It is better to fade away gracefull than burn out. They should have remained back in 1989, with pride intact.

para_owl

Connery's Toupe said:
This movie was my wildest dreams come true. A beautiful gift to all the fans.
I appreciate this movie.

I agree with you (and love the screen name :D ). I had a good experience with this movie. I didn't like everything in it, but some CGI gopher is not going to make me turn my back on Indy. Harrison Ford was my biggest role model as a child, and the Indiana Jones character is the character he was meant to play. We should all be thankful that there is an Indy 4.

--Will.

Mothy

para_owl said:
I agree with you (and love the screen name :D ). I had a good experience with this movie. I didn't like everything in it, but some CGI gopher is not going to make me turn my back on Indy. Harrison Ford was my biggest role model as a child, and the Indiana Jones character is the character he was meant to play. We should all be thankful that there is an Indy 4.

--Will.

I strongly disagree. You either are very easily pleased or sitting in a cot with a toy laptop writing this stuff out. When you get a little older, you will see what trash they dished out with KOTCS.

IndyCon

Mothy I respect your opinion and I don't mind open discussion on the subject of the good and bad points about KOTCS but this thread is pacifically for people who loved KOTCS to talk about what the loved about the movie, not what they hate there is a thread for that so please go to that thread, if you have something good to say about KOTCS then by all means do so but please no hate in this thread. Thank You.

para_owl

Mothy said:
I strongly disagree. You either are very easily pleased or sitting in a cot with a toy laptop writing this stuff out. When you get a little older, you will see what trash they dished out with KOTCS.

I'm probably older than most of the so called fans that trash KOTCS. I am not making insane claims. I don't for a second compare KOTCS to any of the original Indy movies. I had realistic expectations going into this movie.

--Will.

sandiegojones

Mothy said:
KOTCS should not have been made.

Crusade had the perfect finale, riding off into the sunset. All KOTCS has done is tarnish the brand and people's opinions of the series. Sure, a select few may like it, but the overall population despise it. They even laugh at it, at Indy's expense.

The last film does not compare with the other three and leaves a bad taste in ones mouth. It is better to fade away gracefull than burn out. They should have remained back in 1989, with pride intact.
Just pretend it doesn't exist and I'll do the same with you! ;)

I saw it again last night. My 3rd time. It's still in the largest theater AZ and it was sold out! The crowd was older than 2 weeks ago (mostly 30's and up since the teens likely saw "Zohan" and kiddies went to "Panda") and the response was more positive. Older fans like me do not waist time on the internet (as I do) and do not ***** about films not being some great cinematic experience. They wanted a fun time and got it. This film appeals to older generations more too. Indy is much older, Marion is older, the plot is geared more towards films that an older generation grew yup with. Also, even if Mutt was maybe put in for younger people to identify with it actually is something that my parents get because they were like Mutt in the 50's.

There may be a 50/50 split here for those who like it but outside of the threads it's a hit and the numbers prove it. I wouldn't be surprised if it does another $35 million this weekend!

Last edited:

jazzycmk

I think KOTCS is a solid entry in the series.

I had a tepid reaction after my initial viewing, but appreciated it much more the second time around. For example, I didn't like the Doomstown sequence the first time. Indy just struck me as looking ridiculous running around that town, ducking under clotheslines, etc. However, putting it in context, that whole scene was supposed to be surreal and it worked much better for me on the second viewing.

The movie is not Raiders. Raiders was my favorite, and I probably harbored the hope that maybe KOTCS could be as good (my mistake). Raiders had a grittier feel to it with action sequence after action sequence. There was humor, but it was almost incidental to the action. The other movies since Raiders have opted for a slightly lighter feel with more gags.

Also, while the action in Raiders was over the top, you somehow never lost your sense that, just maybe, Indy could have really pulled it off. It just seemed that Indy pursued a given course of action because he was out of options. Could anyone have really pulled off that truck sequence in Raiders? Unlikely, but when Indy starts sliding under the truck it seemed like he was doing the only thing he could at the time.

If you contrast that with the "rubber-tree" sequence in KOTCS when Marion drives off the cliff into the tree that gently bends them to the river below, it just feels somewhat forced. It looked cool, but it felt choreographed, while the Raiders truck chase felt spontaneous.

I thought KOTCS also got a little bogged down in character management. Raiders had two main characters, Indy and Marion, with some classic villians. TOD then had three with Indy, Willie, and Shorty. LC was mostly Indy and his Dad (with Marcus and Sallah along for the ride). In KOTCS we're juggling five characters for last half of the movie - Indy, Mutt, Marion, Mac, and Ox. Action was somewhat sacrificed in order to manage the character relationships. And with that many characters, some of them are inevitably going to end up being a little thin (Mac and Ox in my opinion).

But this is a "lovers" thread, and while I prefer the tone of Raiders, the other sequels retain enough elements that they are undeniably Indy films, including KOTCS.

I loved that they showed the Ark in the warehouse, but Indy didn't see it (although he does in the novelization). It would have been difficult to show it to Indy during that sequence. He was running for his life. Having shown it to the viewer without Indy seeing it was the clever option. Indy will never know how close he was.

I loved the motorcycle chase through New Haven. The second time I watched it, I saw it with my father and he kept pointing out the make and model of all the cars.

I loved how they were respectful of the fact that Indy was older, but that didn't become a drumbeat joke through the whole movie. Mutt cracks a joke, and Indy makes a reference himself, but we don't hear a bunch of corny lines about creaking bones or "I'm getting too old for this". Indy was also not a shell of himself. The action sequences for the most part hold their own with the other movies.

I loved how Marion was brought back to the series. It made perfect sense. You are going to have a love interest for Indy, but the good professor is presumably in his mid-50s. He's not going to pick up some hot young babe, and if he's going to be with someone closer to his age, it only made sense to have a rekindled romance with one of his former flames. Marion was obvious choice because of all their history. I just wish she had been brought into story sooner (in a twist, I thought she could have come to Indy early in the movie and told him that he had a son that had been kidnapped. Basically, I would have switched the timing of her role with Mutt's. That would have re-established her much sooner, and would have made the revitalized romance a little more believable).

I loved the relationship with Mutt and Indy. There was some clever juxtaposition of the Indy / Henry Jones relationship from LC. Even before they find out they are father and son, you sense a growing respect between the two.

So all in all, it was a fun film, and one that can stand beside the other sequels.

By the by, did anyone else think Indy's first line was going to be "Russians! I hate these guys", as opposed to just "Russians!"?

sandiegojones

jazzycmk said:
By the by, did anyone else think Indy's first line was going to be "Russians! I hate these guys", as opposed to just "Russians!"?
It would have been cool if he said it when they show up in the chamber at the end after thinking they'd lost them.

James

jazzycmk said:

Yeah, it did strike me as similar. And I think the intent/implication was still there, without them having to verbalize it.

Shortie

I don't get the hate it's not a bad movie like TPM or AOTC. Who cares if the end was weird. TOD was pretty different from Raiders & Crusade.

Agent Z

jazzycmk said:

I think "Russians" was fine by itself.

That whole opening sequence at Area 51 is just great stuff. I love the way they pull Winstone out of the trunk of the car (he really sells it too),,,and then the fedora toss, Indy shoved to the ground, and the almost defiant fedora pickup.

Not only do we get the silhouette of Indy on the car door with the strains of the "Raiders March" playing, but then it smoothly transitions into the car door opening and the barking Russian orders of the soldier exiting the car.

That whole opening is on fire. Love it! :whip: