Indy 4 Lovers Thread

James

I thought Spalko was closer to Belloq, in that she seemed to harbor some respect for Indy. She also seemed to be fighting more for herself- and the glory of Stalin's dream- than Mother Russia.

Darth Vile

Quickening said:
Really? I thought the CGI was so bad, especially during the fencing sequence, that it must have looked that way on purpose. Some reviewers have said so but I suspect that's giving Lucas a get out card.

Some of the fencing sequence is clearly green screen. I'd prefer it if it were not the case, but there you go. That said - I really enjoy the rest of the jungle chase... sans the monkey bit (I always seem to be saying that)...

graz,

Good post. Totally agree with you.

A_True_Believer

Quickening said:
Really? I thought the CGI was so bad, especially during the fencing sequence, that it must have looked that way on purpose. Some reviewers have said so but I suspect that's giving Lucas a get out card.

This is what I mean. Yes, it's obvious that a lot of special effects were used during the fencing sequence, but can you pick out which effects were CGI and which were traditional? I don't know for sure either, but if I had to guess I'd say that CGI was only used for filling in the background foliage and to hide the wirework. I think the rest of it was practical effects and stunts.

eshine

Quickening said:
- Marion, I wish she wasn't in this film. It occured to me during the jungle camp scene when Indy and Spalko are standing together trying to solve the riddles how much I liked them working together. Then Marion shows up like a ghost at the feast to lower the tone for me. Seriously she's just ridiculously goofy in this film.

And Agent Spalko isn't goofy? Man, I laughed just about every time she came on screen - it's just so campy and over the top (in a good way)

Marion was far and away the best part of this film for me. Had She not been in it honestly wouldn't have had much interest.

Shortie

Quickening said:
- What happened to John Williams here? Why doesn't this film have its own strong score like the other three? I hated how they reused the Grail and Raiders themes. Felt cheap. A film shouldn't need to evolk past glories for its audience. It should stand by itself. Especially Indy 4.

WTF? That's the theme for the whole franchise. Whenever someone hears it they go "Indiana Jones!". Not including it would p*** everyone off.

eshine

Quickening said:
Nope because she isn't a comedy character who laughs inappropriately. She was also sexy as hell.
I thought she was highly comical throughout. Cmon - that accent alone is hysterical. High camp at it's best.

And when does Marion laugh inappropriately?

Honestly - there is so much goofiness and silly diologue in the other three films - the claims that this one was any more over the top just don't fly.

Quickening

eshine said:
I thought she was highly comical throughout. Cmon - that accent alone is hysterical. High camp at it's best.

And when does Marion laugh inappropriately?

Not so much laugh as grin stupidly ever chance she gets despite her situation. The accent? A sexy "f*** me" accent :whip:

eshine said:
Honestly - there is so much goofiness and silly diologue in the other three films - the claims that this one was any more over the top just don't fly.

Silly dialogue, yes. Bad dialogue, no.

Quickening

Shortie said:
WTF? That's the theme for the whole franchise. Whenever someone hears it they go "Indiana Jones!". Not including it would p*** everyone off.

Sorry, should've been more specific, I meant the Ark theme. This is the first Indy film to reuse music from the prequels aside from that tiny moment in Last Crusade when he sees the picture of the Ark in the catacombs.

Filmphoenix

Quickening said:
Sorry, should've been more specific, I meant the Ark theme. This is the first Indy film to reuse music from the prequels aside from that tiny moment in Last Crusade when he sees the picture of the Ark in the catacombs.
Maybe John Williams just didn't want to come out of retirement to compose an all new score. And I think the use of those themes were fine. What else would you use when you show the Ark, or the pictures of Henry Sr. and Marcus?

Sam Falco

Especially when the entire movie is supposed to be a book end. and the use of the Ark theme was only used in a very similar moment to LC. As for the other stuff, what else would you use for Marion's theme?

Bvance

The Music was Great!

Filmphoenix said:
Maybe John Williams just didn't want to come out of retirement to compose an all new score. And I think the use of those themes were fine. What else would you use when you show the Ark, or the pictures of Henry Sr. and Marcus?

I agree, those scores added the perfect touch to the movie, especially when the LC theme plays while Indy is talking about his dad. It was great.

And I thought the new scores were cool. 'The Adventures of Mutt' from the soundtrack sounds awesome to me. A very heroic sound. 'Spalko's theme' is a little eerie just like her so it worked good, and the new take on the Raiders march in the 'End credits' sounds Awesome! To me anyway.

Club Obiwan

Well, I've spent the last hour browsing Raven's forums, reading the basic views and opinions of people, from the people who loved the new movie no matter what, to the people who hated it because it wasn't exactly the same or as good as the trilogy.

And you know what? I can honestly say that I loved KotCS. Not because its an obligation to me as an Indy fan, but because to me, going into a theatre that was releasing a new Indiana Jones movie, was completely unbelievable. My Indy love had sprouted when my Dad first showed me Raiders of the Lost Ark(Thank God for parents who keep us current:hat: ). So I grew up admiring the movies (mostly Raiders, still loved the others). I thought that I'd never get the chance to be able to see an Indy movie in theatres. It seemed inevitable that LC was the end. But somehow, an amazing team of writers and directors whom were forced to 'live up to the legend' actually released a movie that wasn't some bogus "All we want is to completely wring every dollar that we can out of this story". No, I love Indy 4 because it was written for the people. It didn't cater to everyone's wants, but the underlying reason for KotCS was to let another generation see that 'Adventure Does Have A Name...'

No, this remake isn't perfect, some of the storyline just didn't match up and felt, well...forced. I didn't overlook the shortcomings, but I didn't hunt for them either. I guess that you'll only get from something what you put into it. And I never went into Indy 4 feeling worried that it wouldn't live up to my expectations because I wanted that movie itself to be my expectation.

What did I like about the new Indiana Jones movie...I loved that I got a chance to witness the next step in the journey of a legend. Indy's not the same man he was, he developed. From a sarcastic (yet funny) younger man, to a wiser and evolved teacher, still as ready as ever to keep ancient treasures safe from evil, with his fedora firmly on his head and his trusty whip at his side.

As far as I'm concerned...Adventure still has a name...Indiana Jones!

P.S.-The part of KotCS that really made the Indy in me smile was when the crate with the Ark appeared. As a fan of Raiders, I had instantly recognized the warehouse, and was praying hard that the Ark would show.:D

:hat: And I'd like to take this time to offer a very special thank-you to George Lucas and Steven Spielberg:hat:
...Thank you for keeping the legend alive.​

SterankoII

I think it's the best movie about Indiana Jones. Raiders centered on the Ark of the Covenant, TOD on the enslaved kids, TLC was about his dad and their relationship. In KOTCS is character really is the center of the movie and the story revolves around him and his life. Even the aliens turned out to be ancient/advanced archaeologists.

PoeticRocker

I like Indy 4.

I think the first half is nearly flawless, much like the Indy trilogy.

However I tend to really nitpick the second half now.

I tend to not like how they executed the vehicle chase in the jungle. Why did he have to destroy the jungle cutter? And why was there only 1 rocket with the rocket launcher? Quite simply, if he had a lot of rocket ammo in that truck, he could of just blown all the solider vehicles away and eventually speed up to catch up with Spalko and the crystal skull.

I liked the ants, the henchman fight with indy, and didnt mind the rubber tree and waterfalls.

Akator was kinda disappointing for me because i wanted to see an "awesome" ancient hidden city, like the hidden temple in LC. I came to feel like that was the main mcguffin in a way, not the crystal skull. Then the pyramid trap lacked tension when they just fell into the water.

I then liked the treasure room, the throne room, the alien, and the ufo.

I loved the wedding and the way the credits just start to roll during the scene. It was just as cool as Raiders and Temple of Doom.

I think this film could have easily been as good as Last Crusade, which i was hoping. However because the editing was a bit bad and the character development was lacking a little, I have to put it below Last Crusade and Raiders.

Still I haven't had that much fun in the theater for a LONG time. (y)

Cagefighterkip

Club Obiwan said:
And I'd like to take this time to offer a very special thank-you to George Lucas and Steven Spielberg:hat:
...Thank you for keeping the legend alive.[/CENTER]

agreed --
this almost made me tear up... IJ and the KOTCS is the best summer movie of the year, and most enjoyable movie ive seen all year.:)