Indy 4 Lovers Thread

martinland

tambourineman said:
one great scene after another. The warehouse escape, the nuke, the 50's cafe and greaser fight, the motorbike chase, the quicksand, the jungle chase, the waterfalls, the ants, the temple, the UFO,
You forgot the eerie suspense scenes that I really really appreciated this time around. They have this adventure/riddle feeling (maybe it's because I like to play (Indy) adventure games so much):

Examining Ox's cell.
Looking for the conquistador.
Finding the skull.
Entering the chamber of the thirteen (and that flute quietly playing upwards into the suspenseful strings. Great stuff!)

Ah. :whip:

Crack that whip

Quickening said:
Sorry, should've been more specific, I meant the Ark theme. This is the first Indy film to reuse music from the prequels aside from that tiny moment in Last Crusade when he sees the picture of the Ark in the catacombs.

... and that tiny moment in Temple of Doom when he confronts the swordsmen at the cliff and realizes he hasn't brought a gun to a sword fight.

In other words, all three Raiders followups reuse music from it aside from the Raiders March / Indy theme, albeit KotCS much more extensively than the first, as one would expect given its content (not just a reference to the Ark in dialogue and artwork but a glimpse of the actual item, in a substantial scene set in its final resting place, as well as the reappearance of Marion and multiple references to Henry, Sr., two characters with associated themes - LC also featured two returning characters, of course, but not ones with their own themes).

Indy Croft

i liked it too and I'm tired of everyone criticizing KOTCS it may not be as good as the preveous ones, but it's still good. My younger sister loved it, she says it's as good as Last Crusade (which was her favorite before KOTCS).

Phantom-Train

I loved KOTCS. Saw it 3 times. Great cinematography--loved all the shadows. Loved Spalko--in fact, I wished when she was introduced they would have mentioned a previous run-in with Indy from years earlier. I'd love to see her return in another Indy adventure (comics or novels) and if she and Indy already knew each other, someone could tell that story.

My one complaint is that Indy was too clean in the last 3rd of the film. They all get into the Temple, splash down into some water--next scene they're all clean and dry. I like Indy to look bloodied, bruised, filthy, ragged--like he did in the beginning of the film.

Still, brilliant job all around. Can't wait to watch it again for the 4th time on DVD.

indyrcks

well you can't expect it to be the most brilliant awesome after all it is a movie to be enjoyed anyway Indy you still rock to me:)

tnswman

PoeticRocker said:
I like Indy 4.

I think the first half is nearly flawless, much like the Indy trilogy.

However I tend to really nitpick the second half now.

I tend to not like how they executed the vehicle chase in the jungle. Why did he have to destroy the jungle cutter? And why was there only 1 rocket with the rocket launcher? Quite simply, if he had a lot of rocket ammo in that truck, he could of just blown all the solider vehicles away and eventually speed up to catch up with Spalko and the crystal skull.

I liked the ants, the henchman fight with indy, and didnt mind the rubber tree and waterfalls.

Akator was kinda disappointing for me because i wanted to see an "awesome" ancient hidden city, like the hidden temple in LC. I came to feel like that was the main mcguffin in a way, not the crystal skull. Then the pyramid trap lacked tension when they just fell into the water.

I then liked the treasure room, the throne room, the alien, and the ufo.

I loved the wedding and the way the credits just start to roll during the scene. It was just as cool as Raiders and Temple of Doom.

I think this film could have easily been as good as Last Crusade, which i was hoping. However because the editing was a bit bad and the character development was lacking a little, I have to put it below Last Crusade and Raiders.

Still I haven't had that much fun in the theater for a LONG time. (y)

Are you serious?? Indy's Character grew more in one movie than it did in ANY of the other 3 combined!! come on now..do you even know what to look for when it comes to character growth? Indy was on much more of a personal crusade this time than any other.

Darth Vile

tnswman said:
Are you serious?? Indy's Character grew more in one movie than it did in ANY of the other 3 combined!! come on now..do you even know what to look for when it comes to character growth? Indy was on much more of a personal crusade this time than any other.

You are being too hard there... PoeticRocker clearly enjoyed the movie. Besides, it is a valid claim that KOTCS skipped on some required character development. Whilst I agree that Indy's character showed good development (as far as an Indy movie goes), the likes of Ox, Mac and even Dovchenko were very peripheral characters that would have benefited from more flesh on the bones.

Indy Croft

:mad: just read the MAD magazine today, it made fun of KOTCS for its ****ty story and i'm so angry about it. It kept on saying the film sucked and it messed up the great triology. Please!!! will wnyone stop criticizing the film!!!???

graz

Indy Croft said:
:mad: just read the MAD magazine today, it made fun of KOTCS for its ****ty story and i'm so angry about it. It kept on saying the film sucked and it messed up the great triology. Please!!! will wnyone stop criticizing the film!!!???

I haven't read MAD magazine for years but isn't the idea that they send up a movie good or bad? I remember them picking holes in highly critically acclaimed movies..

Indy Croft

i really don't care what films they make fun of but they insulted the great adveture hero in the entire world!!:mad: I remeber the intro saying; a great expectaions (or sth) and a great disappointment. Also the last panel showing Indy's marriage showed characters from previous films (Mola ram, Toht, German Machenic, Willie Scott, Short Round, Henry Jones Sr etc....) in the background all of them complaining about the messing up of this triology. Indy feels unsafe and you can see Mutt peeking in and telling his dad that his next adventure will probably be getting out of the place alive in the last panel. I hated it!!!!

Finn

Staff member
I thought the whole point of MAD Magazine is to ridicule everything it can. If it was afraid to laugh at things because some people thing they're a Holy Cow, it wouldn't exist. Besides, it's printed a spoof of every previous Indy film also and honestly, I haven't yet met a person who would say that those films suck because MAD makes fun of them. Bottom line, those who like the film, will keep on liking it, and those who don't... well, just have to convert sometime later.

Somebody's overreacting.

Darth Vile

Indy Croft said:
i really don't care what films they make fun of but they insulted the great adveture hero in the entire world!!:mad: I remeber the intro saying; a great expectaions (or sth) and a great disappointment. Also the last panel showing Indy's marriage showed characters from previous films (Mola ram, Toht, German Machenic, Willie Scott, Short Round, Henry Jones Sr etc....) in the background all of them complaining about the messing up of this triology. Indy feels unsafe and you can see Mutt peeking in and telling his dad that his next adventure will probably be getting out of the place alive in the last panel. I hated it!!!!

Read the Mad magazines for 'The Empire Strikes Back' and 'The Return of The Jedi'. They insult the movies no end... but it doesn't reflect the reality.

indyrcks

well I think it has a film good script good action sequences, romance and comedy and who cares if it was a cheesy film