Indy 5 news 2017

Z dweller

The best thing to do is kill Mutt off.

An old, grieving, retired Indy is the perfect premise for a story in which he reluctantly accepts "one last job", in view of the importance/power of the macguffin, and the risk of it falling in the wrong hands.

Raise the stakes right from the start, unlike the lame KOTCS.

Then have Indy find out that Mutt was killed by the same baddie(s) who is (are) after the macguffin as the climax of act II, so in the final confrontation he can both save the world and avenge his son.

Face_Melt

What are he chances this will be Spielbergs next film? Could the release date be moved back up if so?

DARTH ZOIDBERG

Udvarnoky said:
Koepp says "we've got a script we're mostly happy with" and is hoping Spielberg chooses to shoot it as his next project.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/09/04/indiana-jones-5-shia-labeouf-not-returning/
just read this I love that were getting closer I take it the were mostly happy with the script line basically means were mostly done with the script but we still have some work to do. at least I hope that's what it means but all in all encouraging news hopefully Indy 5 Is Spielberg's next film he shoots...
:whip:

TheFedora

DARTH ZOIDBERG said:
just read this I love that were getting closer I take it the were mostly happy with the script line basically means were mostly done with the script but we still have some work to do. at least I hope that's what it means but all in all encouraging news hopefully Indy 5 Is Spielberg's next film he shoots...
:whip:

They have the artifact figured out they said too...so likely we could have the title this time next year? (y)

IndyForever

They should just ignore Mutt do not even mention him again. I was not bothered about Shia in KOTCS he did ok but was also a disposable character. Lets face it if the actor did not insult Spielberg then he would have been in Indy 5 but I am sure Spielberg will find plenty of willing actors to have that quality screen time with Harrison instead!

Still until this is shooting I am not holding my breath though other high profile films have been cancelled closer to production than this. Hopefully Blade Runner 2049 confirms Harrison's box office draw next month then I think Indy 5 will start shooting early 2018 with pre production late 2017 :whip:

DARTH ZOIDBERG

IndyForever said:
They should just ignore Mutt do not even mention him again. I was not bothered about Shia in KOTCS he did ok but was also a disposable character. Lets face it if the actor did not insult Spielberg then he would have been in Indy 5 but I am sure Spielberg will find plenty of willing actors to have that quality screen time with Harrison instead!

Still until this is shooting I am not holding my breath though other high profile films have been cancelled closer to production than this. Hopefully Blade Runner 2049 confirms Harrison's box office draw next month then I think Indy 5 will start shooting early 2018 with pre production late 2017 :whip:
I didn't mind Shia and If he wasn't a loose canon getting arrested all the time I would want him to return but He Is unpredictable you never know when he Is going to get drunk and punch out a cop. Also In almost every subsequent Indy film none of the characters return except Marcus Brody returns In Last crusade and his Statue in Indy 4, Salah returns In Last Crusade, and Marion returns In Indy 4 so If this holds True no Marion In Indy 5 but Marion and Mutt could return in a possible Indy 6, just a Guess on my part I am probably wrong.

Dene

Surely it's highly significant that the one piece of information David Koepp was allowed to share is that Shia LaBeouf won't be in the movie?

And I betcha this was the first LaBeouf knew about it too.

Is it possible the 'Berg isn't pleased with him?

The Man

Would it be excessively churlish for the script to feature a throwaway line about Mutt - and Marion - contracting a virulent strain of monkeypox?

"Oh, that's...tragic. Ahem..."

AndyLGR

IndyForever said:

I agree on Mutt. They don't need to carry over any baggage from previous films and for me that could hamper new adventures if hes along for the whole film.

Blade Runner 2 is an interesting one, the original certainly wasn't a box office draw but gained a real cult following with home video in the 80's. So I wonder what the studio expect this new one to do at the box office and what determines it as a success for them.

IndyBuff

I didn't mind Mutt's character but I'm also fine with him being left out of this one. Make Indy the main focus and keep the adventure party much smaller this time.

Randy_Flagg

Since Mutt's out, maybe Indy 5 will focus on Indy's grandchildren. How cool would it be if Indy has three grand-kids with him on an adventure, aged 4, 6 and 8? And they could be constantly upstaging Indy, too. Think how hilarious it would be if we see Indy being terrified by a snake, and then the four-year old granddaughter just picks it up and says, "Grandpa, you're such a scaredy-cat!" And then when Indy can't figure out how to locate the lost artifact, the 6-year old grandson figures it out for him. The 8-year old could help Indy when he's being beaten by the obligatory large henchman ("Take THAT, you tuna-head!" he could yell and he uses a slingshot to knock out the henchman, just as the henchman is about to beat Indy to a pulp.) These sorts of things would make Indy 5 spectacular!!

[/sarcasm]

Pale Horse

Staff member
Udvarnoky said:
Koepp says "we've got a script we're mostly happy with" and is hoping Spielberg chooses to shoot it as his next project.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/09/04/indiana-jones-5-shia-labeouf-not-returning/

No one contacted me about the Tree of Life, so we can scratch that off the McGuffin list.

Randy_Flagg said:
How cool would it be if Indy has three grand-kids with him on an adventure, aged 4, 6 and 8? And they could be constantly upstaging Indy, too. Think how hilarious it would be if we see Indy being terrified by a snake, and then the four-year old granddaughter just picks it up and says, "Grandpa, you're such a scaredy-cat!"

tenor.gif

IndyBuff

JasonMa said:
If it means David Tennant gets a supporting role in the movie I might be up for it :D

That would actually be pretty cool. Seeing him team up with a European rival or old acquaintance like that could be interesting.

Raiders90

Tenant as an upstart rival who turns out to be the villain would be cool. A golden boy young Archaeologist who is disrespectful to Indy and makes him look like an old, crude relic of the past; constantly undercutting Indy about his methods and such...who turns out to be a secret Nazi or in league with sinister forces. Something like that. Have his reveal as the villain come midway through ala Elsa. Think a more hands-on, but just as sophisticated Belloq. A guy who grew up wanting to be like Indy and ends up wanting to surpass him and resents him for it. Maybe a student or former student of Indy's.

TheFedora

Raiders112390 said:
Tenant as an upstart rival who turns out to be the villain would be cool. A golden boy young Archaeologist who is disrespectful to Indy and makes him look like an old, crude relic of the past; constantly undercutting Indy about his methods and such...who turns out to be a secret Nazi or in league with sinister forces. Something like that. Have his reveal as the villain come midway through ala Elsa. Think a more hands-on, but just as sophisticated Belloq. A guy who grew up wanting to be like Indy and ends up wanting to surpass him and resents him for it. Maybe a student or former student of Indy's.

I think Ive been saying this before but an old/former student of Indy would be great. This way Indy could be questioning himself if it was a failing of himself that his former student turned to evil or something.

curmudgeon

Face_Palm said:
What are he chances this will be Spielbergs next film? Could the release date be moved back up if so?

It's a pipe dream, but the news out of Star Wars Land that Episode IX is getting a rewrite and new director, has me wondering this as well.

Assuming they want to keep shooting their Lucas-branded films one at a time, moving a more ready Indy into the next production slot would certainly give them some extra time to sort out that mess.

Yes, yes, I know... wishful thinking...

Face_Melt

curmudgeon said:
It's a pipe dream, but the news out of Star Wars Land that Episode IX is getting a rewrite and new director, has me wondering this as well.

Assuming they want to keep shooting their Lucas-branded films one at a time, moving a more ready Indy into the next production slot would certainly give them some extra time to sort out that mess.

Yes, yes, I know... wishful thinking...

That would be amazing! Fingers crossed...

IndyBuff

I still don't understand why they can't have Indy and Star Wars out in the same year. Many people are fans of both franchises and I seriously doubt Disney would lose money having their two biggest franchises out within six months of each other.

I'd be perfectly fine with them delaying Episode IX for a few months to push Indy ahead. Time is of the essence with that one.