Paris

AlivePoet

I'm currently planning a trip to Paris for about 10 days during my university's reading break in February. I'm still pursuing a flight for around $500 from Montreal, though without much luck at this point.

As I'm mostly broke due to being a student, I'm trying to find the cheapest ways to survive in Paris for the duration of my stay. Even hostels for $50 or under are too expensive for my bank book; I've considered couch surfing, and staying at monasteries, the latter of which I've heard good things about but have never experienced. Has anyone ever stayed in one, or know of a dirt-cheap way to find shelter for ten nights?

Stoo

Hey, Alive Poet.

Greetings from another Montrealer!:hat:

Paris is beautiful but I can't recommend any cheap places to stay. Try and pick up a copy of "Let's Go Europe", the budget travelers bible.
It's updated every year and should be easy to find in any decent bookstore. (Don't buy a used copy unless it's a 2008 or 2009 edition.)
If $50 a night is too rich for your blood, then God's Speed. There is a tunnel network underneath parts of the city. Maybe you can find your
way down there for a place to curl up. Just make sure you don't freeze to death.:dead:

Just found this site with some hostels for around $33 CAN/night.
http://www.net-booking.net/search/search.php

Anyway you should resurrect your other thread that was closed. (Strange that it was closed and not moved to the Globe-Trotting section.
I guess Attila was feeling grumpy that day.:p ) The Traveler's Thread

AlivePoet

Thanks for the reply Stoo, when were you last in Montreal? Don't suppose I'd recognize you even if I saw you. :hat:

$33 a night is definitely reasonable, but I'm so cheap that I can't reason my way into staying at one. That may well change once I arrive.

I think Attila closed the thread due to its fairly general nature, while each thread here is more specific in traveling endeavours. I just thought it'd be fun to get the scoop on what people are up to without having to create individual threads on their traveling experiences. But this works just as well, I'm sure.

Stoo

I go back to Montreal about every 2 months and was just home for almost a month over Christmas.
Are you a native Montrealer or an out-of-town student? My condo is, like, a block away from the
McGill campus so if that's where you're attending university, we could have crossed paths.:D

Police presence in Paris is heavy and I've seen them get really nasty with people sleeping in subway stations.
Not recommended. When is your trip? It's expensive just to eat there so maybe you can borrow $30 off of 10
people you know to cover the cost of a cheap hostel.

There is usually a rabble of vagabonds and back-packers on top of Montmartre 'til the wee hours.
I don't know if you'd be able to stay overnight in the basilica there but you might be able to find
someone else in your situation and buddy-up. Be cautious, though!

Anyway, I highly suggest visiting the Musée de l'Armée! Quite simply, the best war museum I've ever been to.(y) :gun:
Admission is 8 euros, I think. Get ready to feast your eyes on a beautiful city and the experience the worst waiters ever!

Re: your closed Traveler's Thread.
I'm tr-r-r-ravlin' to Scotland at the end of this month for-r-r the 1st time.