KotCS James Rollins novelization

James

The Yucatan prologue was likely dropped because there's very little action. It would've basically meant re-introducing Indy by...having him crawl on his stomach. Since they were able to explain the entire scene with just a few lines of dialogue, they probably never even shot it.

According to Lucas, the decision to start the film with Indy in the trunk served two purposes. First, it was the polar opposite of his introduction in Raiders, where he confidently stepped into camera view. Second, it was a way of taking the character out of mothballs after 19 years- both literally and figuratively.

I thought the best part of the book was the way it handled the finale. It made the lost city feel much more fantastical and epic in scope.

Perhilion

So did I. I wish they would have included everything that was in the cemetery scene. And explained Akator a bit better.

Indy Black

Enjoyed the book(y) and wished they would have included in the movie the little bits of info about Akator, Mutt(why he's not in school), the end scene and Spalko's face off with the ants.

San Holo

Why in the hell wasn't the movie's wedding scene, half as good as the book's. In the novel, Indy cannot wait to kiss Marion, so he scoops her around the waist and lays one on her. She says something like, You are supposed to wait until the end-and he says Honey, I'm just getting started. It just played out soo much better with just a little more dialogue. The novel also talks about all of Indy's friends being there and how far they traveled to be there on the best day of Indy's life..C'mon, where was Sallah and Shorty in the movie?

thelaw

San Holo said:
Why in the hell wasn't the movie's wedding scene, half as good as the book's. In the novel, Indy cannot wait to kiss Marion, so he scoops her around the waist and lays one on her. She says something like, You are supposed to wait until the end-and he says Honey, I'm just getting started. It just played out soo much better with just a little more dialogue. The novel also talks about all of Indy's friends being there and how far they traveled to be there on the best day of Indy's life..C'mon, where was Sallah and Shorty in the movie?

I know! One of my friends said it would have been "fan-service" and maybe it would have...in the same way that inviting one's friends to one's own wedding is "fan-of-one's-friends-service"!

eroc

The book is written from the script. Scripts and movies aren't as detailed and in depth as books, for obvious reasons. So when Rollins wrote the book from the script, he had to fill in the gaps and beef everything up. Movies can never be as good as a novel. I'm sure he took some great liberties in answering questions movie goers have. I can't wait to read it.

TalonCard

eroc said:
The book is written from the script. Scripts and movies aren't as detailed and in depth as books, for obvious reasons. So when Rollins wrote the book from the script, he had to fill in the gaps and beef everything up. Movies can never be as good as a novel. I'm sure he took some great liberties in answering questions movie goers have. I can't wait to read it.

The wedding lines are in the Luceno YA novel too, though, so I think that, at least, came from the script. It seems to have been changed to make Marion more impulsive during the wedding as opposed to Indy.

TC

Turtle

My girlfriend picked this up for me, along with the collected version of the original three novelisations. Gonna read this one first though, check out what differences there are.

BlackSleep

For anyone who has read the Rollins novelization and seen the film already, is there enough of a difference to justify reading the novel right after having seen the film? I usually hate doing it in that order, unless there's a big enough difference that makes reading the book worth it. Thoughts?

DarthGemni

BlackSleep said:
For anyone who has read the Rollins novelization and seen the film already, is there enough of a difference to justify reading the novel right after having seen the film? I usually hate doing it in that order, unless there's a big enough difference that makes reading the book worth it. Thoughts?

I just saw the movie for the 3rd time, and am reading the book now. Just got past the cemetary fight. Personally, I absolutely love the book, and wish the movie had been more like it. I understand what people are saying about how the book can take certain liberties, etc. And I know the movies are never (well, rarely) as good as the book. But I get the impression that a lot of the book stuff was in the script or even filmed and not included in the movie. It just seems to fit so well.
To answer your question, I would say definately read the book right after seeing the movie. Honestly, I like this movie more now that I'm reading the book.

Dene

DarthGemni said:
I get the impression that a lot of the book stuff was in the script or even filmed and not included in the movie. It just seems to fit so well.
Seconded.

David Koepp is getting a bit of a battering for his script but are a lot of the criticisms on account of elements being left out to keep the movie rolling? Maybe a bit more of his dialogue would've helped.

I hope the shooting script is published.

BlackSleep

Maybe the DVD will have removed scenes that are re-inserted as a sort of "extended edition" like LotR, scenes that were filmed and removed to hit a certain theatrical window but later re-inserted into the DVDs

Shipwreck

Moderator Emeritus
Just an FYI in my recent interview with Rollins - found on the main page at www.theraider.net, James lets us know that he added a whole lot more in the book than was in the movie. It is worth the read. So, I definately encourage you to get the book.

Here's to continuing adventure...

Shipwreck

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Shipwreck said:
Just an FYI in my recent interview with Rollins - found on the main page at www.theraider.net, James lets us know that he added a whole lot more in the book than was in the movie. It is worth the read. So, I definately encourage you to get the book.

Here's to continuing adventure...

Shipwreck

I read it a couple of days ago, Shipwreck. Awesome job. (y) As awesome as the novel. I will certainly look up Rollins' other novels now.

Agent Z

IMJacks

I have the audio book and it's very enjoyable (y) . Some of the lines are not delivered the same as in the film (understandably), but the voices are still pretty good.

Shark_Blade

I like the book but I hate the ending sentence:

"To point unknown."

Felt like a cliffhanger.:mad:

Anyway, what's the difference between James Rollins KOCS and the scholastic one (similar title but thinner book)?

Goonie

I finished reading the Crystal Skull novelization yesterday. I thought It was a good book. The pace was good and all the little scenes that didn't make it into the movie.

It was interesting seeing the movie twice, reading the comic book version, and now reading the novelization and catching all the little differences between them. Funny how things get changed in the final cut of the movie.

I thought this was a good book by James Rollins. It was the first time I read one of his books and it made me want to check out some of his other work.