Lawrence Kasdan Raiders script

Abner

Does anyone know anywhere on the web that I can find the Raiders of the Lost Ark screenplay? Not the 3rd draft, but the final shooting script. I am looking for something that changed from the 3rd draft and all I can find online is that version.

Michael24

early "Raiders" script

I just discovered IMSDb.com (Internet Movie Script Database) and looked up RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. They only have one draft, from 1981. I skimmed through it and it actually has the original mine car chase finale. I'm curious to see what else this has that didn't make the final shooting script/cut once I have a chance to read the whole thing.

http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Indiana-Jones-and-the-Raiders-of-the-Lost-Ark.html

Sorry if this is old news, but I just wanted to share. :)

Yeah, I've read it. It's... interesting. Obviously it's not *that* early since it has "scenes omitted" at some point, meaning it's clearly a revision of an even EARLIER draft.

Kooshmeister

Ah yes, the one where Dietrich and Toht are called "Shliemann" and "Belzig," and they totally underplay the opening of the Ark.

xVendetta17x

I like the change were Indy kills Barranca by wrapping his whip around him instead of letting him go
But I guess they wanted to portray him in a better light

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
More like only script. This looks just like the August 1979 draft available at theRaider, minus the 'OMIT' notations where scenes used to be. Finding any draft other than this one would be notable. I truly hope the flurry of activity this year will bring such good stuff to the table. Keep searching!

Note: merged with related thread.

EyesofMara

Reading this script I think to myself, wouldn't it be cool if there was a scene where Marion brings up the scene where Indy left her tied up and when they meet up again in the Crystal Skull she gets in another punch and says something like "thats for leaving me in dessert you bastard." Or something like that.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The new Raiders DVD featurette shows a complete page I've never seen. It contains Nepali phonetic translations, so I'm guessing it came after the Revised Third Draft we all know. Here's what I copied down. (Remember, dropping long phrases such as these into ever-improving search engines is a great way to find buried treasure...)
--------------

52 CONTINUED

Marion has the glimmer of a smile as she picks up the pile of money and taps it into a neat stack, eyeing the crowd.

MARION
All right, you no good bums, get the hell out of here. I'm sick of seeing your ugly mugs. [in Nepali, "you ghosts"]

No one moves, they're all intent on Marion's final shot glass. She knows it and laughs slyly as she swoops it up and tosses it down like her first nip of the night. Again the crowd roars.

MARION
Mohan, clear 'em out. Everybody out! We're closed.

As the place clears, Marion takes her stack of money and slips it into a small wooden box on a shelf under the bar. Then she slips through a doorway and heads across the back room to a door. For the first time, the effect of all the booze is apparent. She's woozy.

52-A EXT. "THE RAVEN" - IN BACK - NIGHT

Marion comes out unsteadily. She walks over to a snow bank and forms a snowball in each hand. Then, slowly, as though she's done it a hundred times, she presses a snowball to each of her temples.

53-A INT. "THE RAVEN" - NIGHT

Marion walks in behind the bar. She looks marvelously sober. Mohan, a big ax-handle in hand, is herding the last stragglers out of the front.

CONTINUED

Attila the Professor

Staff member
xVendetta17x said:
I like the change were Indy kills Barranca by wrapping his whip around him instead of letting him go
But I guess they wanted to portray him in a better light

It wasn't just that, as I recall - doesn't he use the whip to make Barranca shoot himself? Sounds more far-fetched than anything.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Kasdan always complained his Raven scenes were butchered. I thought it was just the removal of the kiss and "I worked here. And I wasn't the bartender."

Apparently the snowball scene was shot and removed. Since she never goes outside in the final cut, they added the sound of a shot glass breaking when she throws down the snowballs!

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Moedred said:
Kasdan always complained his Raven scenes were butchered. I thought it was just the removal of the kiss and "I worked here. And I wasn't the bartender."

Apparently the snowball scene was shot and removed. Since she never goes outside in the final cut, they added the sound of a shot glass breaking when she throws down the snowballs!

Very interesting, about the snowballs...I was just musing when I watched Raiders last night about how there's no explanation for her overall lack of drunkenness.

Chicago Jones

Raiders Third Draft...

I was reading Raiders Of The Lost Ark 3rd draft and I am so glad they cut out the Shanghai scene. I think it was way to much but did anybody else think it was cool that Indy broke the samurais neck with his whip?:whip:

The Magic Rat

To me, this just shows how perfection takes a few tries. Reading the early draft makes me sad, it's greatly inferior to the final product. Very interesting to read, though.

WrathofGod

This seems a good a place as any to unload my 100th post. Kasdan was by far the best script writer the trilogy had. He supplied some of my all time favorite lines..."lt's not the years honey it's the mileage".:D (y) :gun: :whip: :hat: