TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Globe-trotting
User Name
Password

Old 03-06-2006, 08:40 PM   #51
phatr32
IndyFan

i dream about going on an adventure everyday!, but im unable to, thanks to work, and other things that tie me down.

Also, Perth isnt terribly exciting, we dont have much of a history, only 200+ years, and i dont have any interest in aboriginal history.

So the best i can do is read about discoveries in egypt (and other places) on the web, and watch my movies.

steve
phatr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:45 PM   #52
phatr32
IndyFan

also, I hate you

steve greem with envy...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros
Actually, October '04, curing my college Freshman year homesickness with the Indiana Jones DVDs I thought to myself, "Gee, I wish I could go to exotic lands like Indiana Jones."

After a moment it struck me. I was a college student. I had no dependents. I was capable of getting a job. What was stopping me?

As a result this summer, I am going on my very own Jones-esque adventure to Cuzco, Peru and the ruins of Vilcapampa AKA Machu Picchu. And, amusingly enough, I owe my motivation to everyone's favorite Archaeologist.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:27 PM   #53
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty
Do we love travels and advantures becouse we love Indy movies
or
do we love Indy movies becouse we love travels and advantures
?

For me, I think it's a little bit of both.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 04:27 PM   #54
IrishLuck1980
IndyFan

I would love to be able to gain entrance into the Tomb of China's first Emperor, Qin Shi Huang D. The Tomb has never been opened. The Chinese government won't open it because they can't preserve it. But imagine it, the Tomb is the size of a football field, with a map of China with the lakes and rivers filled with liquid mercury. And the designers of the tomb were locked in, as were the Emperors favorite concubines... Now that has adventure written all over it.
IrishLuck1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:22 PM   #55
phatr32
IndyFan

yes ive read about that and seen a documenty on it too.

that would be absolutly awesome!!

steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLuck1980
I would love to be able to gain entrance into the Tomb of China's first Emperor, Qin Shi Huang D. The Tomb has never been opened. The Chinese government won't open it because they can't preserve it. But imagine it, the Tomb is the size of a football field, with a map of China with the lakes and rivers filled with liquid mercury. And the designers of the tomb were locked in, as were the Emperors favorite concubines... Now that has adventure written all over it.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:25 PM   #56
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLuck1980

I've always dreamed of doing that too! After playing The Emperor's Tomb and watching a documentry on television about it I've been hooked. That would definately be a neat experience.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:35 AM   #57
indyt
IndyFan

I have tried to live a life of adventure. I LOVE it. I have been skydiving, scuba diving, rock climbing, cliff jumping and canoeing in Canada as well as exploring indian drawings, cave climbing, bungee jumping, river rafting, kayaking, horseback riding in the mountains, etc. I think we should live our lives to the fullest and thats what I try to do. My greatest adventure will probably be my missions trip to Guyana this May. God has blessed me.
indyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 07:45 PM   #58
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyt
I have tried to live a life of adventure. I LOVE it. I have been skydiving, scuba diving, rock climbing, cliff jumping and canoeing in Canada as well as exploring indian drawings, cave climbing, bungee jumping, river rafting, kayaking, horseback riding in the mountains, etc. I think we should live our lives to the fullest and thats what I try to do. My greatest adventure will probably be my missions trip to Guyana this May. God has blessed me.

You've certainly done quite a bit of adventuring, to say the least. I was supposed to go on a mission trip to Mexico years ago but it got cancelled.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:10 PM   #59
indyt
IndyFan

Maybe another opportunity will come availible Indy.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:04 PM   #60
monkey

During my time in the US Navy I actually had quite a few adventures. To be honest some of them are best not published here on the Raven.........but there were a few that might qualify as "Indy-like".

One in particular that comes to mind is the time I and a few shipmates got pretty much lost in the "Souk"...(marketplace) of Muscat, Oman. This was a fascinting maze of alleyways and passages, some covered over....creating a tunnel effect. These passages were full of characters that looked like they stepped right out an Indiana Jones movie. Seriously, guys with curved scimitar knives in curved scabbards; turbans on their heads.....women in full face veils. Merchants hawking their wares.......gold, jewels, herbs, and ??? ....OK, and a few selling cell phones.........but .........well, it was still pretty adventurous, and we were lost, for a little while anyway.

We probably walked past a few Al Quaida, but this was pre 911.
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:24 AM   #61
fortuneandglory
IndyFan

I'm going on an Indy-esque adventure next year... at least its the closest I've ever gotten. I'm going to archaeological field school in Oklahoma. Pre 911, they'd fly you out to Tall Hisban, Jordan for a Month or Three. Now that the climate is a little hotter, they try to keep it in country. Last year the field school was in Spiro Oklahoma. Don't know where its gonna be this year! Hope its out of state, I'm not SUPER interested in Oklahoman archaeology... Think I should get a Fedora for the trip?
fortuneandglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:00 AM   #62
indyt
IndyFan

I look at my mission trips as Indy adventures. I have always wanted to be an archaeologist but God had me to go in another adventure. My last adventure was in May preaching the gospel in the jungles of South America. I will be going to the Caymon Is and Jamica this month. Hopefully, if plans go well I will going to Kenya next Spring.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:41 AM   #63
Nathaniel
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortuneandglory
Think I should get a Fedora for the trip?

Was there ever any doubt what we think?
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:07 PM   #64
indyt
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel
Was there ever any doubt what we think?

How could you ask a question like that on this forum!!
Old 09-23-2006, 01:00 PM   #65
phatr32
IndyFan

take a fedora? you should ask "should i take a whip"!

fedora is a must!
Old 12-30-2006, 07:59 PM   #66
IrishLuck1980
IndyFan

Fedora and some patience.
IrishLuck1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:55 AM   #67
Indyfan28
IndyFan

At the moment, most of my adventures are generally based within several miles of my home or atleast in the US but myself and a small group of my equaly adventurous friends are currently plotting a journey to an Indy-style location, such as Peru or Egypt.
Indyfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:01 PM   #68
Benudo
IndyFan

This is an interesting thread. I can't speak for more than myself, but I'm guessing that many of us are attracted to Indiana Jones in part because we wish we were him ("fantasy" isn't a word I normally like to use, but it fits). However, a lot of what I'm reading in this thread seems closer to Young Indiana, or an Ernest Hemingway novel. For something to be an (adult) IJ adventure, I expect a physical threat to life and limb, which I hope to never have. The Ravener who had uniformed guys w/ guns and German Shepards pointed in his direction sticks out.

I don't mean to take away from anyone else's experience. Spontaneous and rugged travel in exotic places is always exciting. Makes me jealous.
Benudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:35 PM   #69
berelain19
IndyFan

I don't expect i ever will,but I can dream,can't I?

I'd like a search for the Library of Alexandria. It's still pretty mysterious!

And there are some Fabergé Eggs that are ''lost''.I'd like to find those,too!
berelain19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:52 PM   #70
Routledge
IndyFan

To date, I've been ghost hunting in the hardcore haunted sites in England and monster hunting in Loch Ness!
Oh, and I was in Honduras for a month where I saw Maian ruins with temples and ancient crocodile pit booby traps! That's the closest thing to Indy I've ever experienced.
Routledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:29 PM   #71
roundshort
IndyFan

I have been serious research at some of the finest Bars, Saloons, Cafes, and restaurants around the world. I know the Grail is at the bottle of a bottle of something, "hick" no to just find the right bottle.
roundshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:22 PM   #72
indy34
IndyFan

i climbed mount koziosko and also went a bit into a cave then my dad called me to get out of there because i didnt have climbing equitment

does that count
indy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:10 PM   #73
whipcracker666
IndyFan

Me and a friend have been fossil hunting in the nearby peace river. It's a hot spot for finding all kinds of prehistoric fossils ancient camels and whale bones
can be found there as well as a variety of sharks teeth, native american beads, and the occasional arrow head. the most coveted fossils that are frequently found there are giant megladon teeth( like a giant prehistoric great white shark). these can fetch anywhere from a few hundred to a couple of thousand $$$. we've only found small common sharks teeth and a hand full of the native american beads but were still hunting.
whipcracker666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:31 PM   #74
The_Raiders
IndyFan

I always wear my fedora pretty much wherever I go, Hiking in the Alaska wilds ispretty neat, this summer I'm probablt going to see family and old friends in Texas, we'll see what me and my old fedora get into this time
The_Raiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:14 PM   #75
whipcracker666
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raiders
I always wear my fedora pretty much wherever I go, Hiking in the Alaska wilds ispretty neat, this summer I'm probablt going to see family and old friends in Texas, we'll see what me and my old fedora get into this time

Yeah I always wear my fedora, shoulder bag and safari shirt when ever we go fossil or relic hunting . My buddy alwas tries to poke fun at me and say things like " What are you trying to look like Indiana Jones or something?" or " you bringing your bullwhip this time?" . I just shrug it off though , at least I look like I know what I'm doing. The only drawback to wearing my fedora while fossil hunting is other hunters assume I'm an expert and they keep bringing their finds over to me and asking "Is this worth anything?"
whipcracker666 is offline   Reply With Quote