TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Globe-trotting
User Name
Password

Old 02-10-2018, 10:28 AM   #26
John Bechet
IndyFan

I've travelled around a lot countries in Asia, Africa and Europe. The only Indy-ish thing I did a lot of was walking around ancient monuments (For one example, Sri Lanka was good for that).

I went white water rafting a couple of times on the Nile in Zimbabwe, which is probably as close to Indy action as I got. And I took a ride in a microlight which is close to being in an old plane in that you are not 'inside'.

But it was more in small, internal ways that I thought of Indy on my travels:

I was walking around the city of Lvov in Ukraine with a few other guys. There was snow and ice on the ground and we had to be careful going down some outdoor stairs. After watching them begin their slow and wobbly progress, I thought to overcome the problem by sliding down the handrail at the side and one of the guys said "There's a man with a sense of adventure." I was secretly pleased with this thoroughly undeserved comment. That was part of my childhood personality still alive in the adult me.

Another example of that is while I was exploring the Great Zimbabwe Monument, I squeezed through a narrow gap between rough stone walls and accidentally scraped the case of my Swiss Army knife, worn on my belt. It made a scratch mark on the leather that I still treasure, in a childlike way, as a souvenir of my 'adventure'.
John Bechet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:41 PM   #27
John Bechet
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by indytim
The 2nd great-grandfather of the husband of my 64th great-aunt was Ptolemy I Soter, Saviour of Egypt, 1st Pharaoh of Ptolemaic Dynasty so it was kind of like checking out the old family heirlooms I know that must sound ridiculous but I'm a direct descendant of the House of Plantagenet (Richard The Lionheart, King of England was my 24th Great Uncle) and my family tree is traceable quite the ways back as a result

Your ancestry is very cool. At what time, and how, did the Plantagenets cross with the ancient Egyptian line? Was it a close relative of yours whose DNA was used to confirm the remains of Richard III?

Sean Connery played your ancestor!
Old 02-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #28
Nosirrah
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bechet
Your ancestry is very cool. At what time, and how, did the Plantagenets cross with the ancient Egyptian line

He could be a Plantagenet on his daddy's side, and a Ptolemy on his mummy's.
Nosirrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:26 PM   #29
indytim
IndyFan

Location: England (you can get all kinds of transport there ... boat, plane, anything)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bechet
Your ancestry is very cool. At what time, and how, did the Plantagenets cross with the ancient Egyptian line? Was it a close relative of yours whose DNA was used to confirm the remains of Richard III?

If you discover that there is European royalty on your family tree then you're pretty much related to every historical head of state in the Western hemisphere that's ever existed. Generations of inbreeding was carried out to ensure the bloodlines remained 'noble'. Therefore, if you're related to one you're most likely related to them all (as my family tree as often proven).

The average English person's DNA (which I am) is roughly 60% British. Mine is over 90% suggesting my genetic heritage is rather localised. I would have to check on if it is a relative of mine whose DNA was tested to confirm the remains of Richard III although on my family tree he appears as my 6th cousin 17x removed.
indytim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:27 PM   #30
indytim
IndyFan

Location: England (you can get all kinds of transport there ... boat, plane, anything)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosirrah
He could be a Plantagenet on his daddy's side, and a Ptolemy on his mummy's.

Bravo. That genuinely made me laugh out loud
indytim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:05 PM   #31
John Bechet
IndyFan

I just remembered that during my trip camping across Africa, I lived a scene right out of Temple of Doom:

One of the women in our group suddenly jumped off her stool screaming that there was a huge bug on her. She ran up and down screaming until it was knocked off her long skirt and someone (unfortunately) clubbed it to death.

She was a regular person who momentarily turned into Willie Scott. I handed her my bottle of whiskey and she took a swig, turning, I guess, briefly into Marion.