Can anybody help with what this movie may be?

Stoo

@Pale Horse: I tried looking, brother. Believe me, I tried!;)

Hats off to Montana Smiff for solving my query!:hat:

Is this any different from all the other stupid, non-Indy-related threads that occupy the Films forum? (If you can't beat 'em - join 'em!):p
AndyLGR said:
Stoo - glad you've got yours sorted. You watch - I'll eventually find my movie and it wont be a snowy landscape it'll be a desert, it won't be the villain that jumps out of the window it'll be the supposed final victim..... I'll find all the vague details I have in my head are mistaken.
I hope you find your movie. Like you say, perhaps the details won't be the same (as per the wooden log in my memories of "Planet Earth".)

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Yes, but we don't search Boolean like Montana apparently.

And believe me...I tried on the O.P.

Closest I could come are films with Peter Sellers.

Stoo

Pale Horse said:
Yes, but we don't search Boolean like Montana apparently.
Sorry to admit it, Pale Horse, but I'm not intelligent/NERDY enough to know what "Boolean" means.:eek::p:D

Now, can anyone help Andy with his elusive, mystery movie?:confused: Does anyone else out there have a film that they can't indentify?

Finn

Staff member
Stoo said:
Sorry to admit it, Pale Horse, but I'm not intelligent/NERDY enough to know what "Boolean" means.:eek::p:D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boolean_algebra#Boolean_searches

If that doesn't open it up for you, feel free to ask me for an elaboration; though only if you're craving for a lecture. I've got a degree in information science.

As for the OP's problem, despite utilizing most of my search skills, I came up with big ole nothing. What you really need is running into someone who's seen the film.

In the meanwhile, you can try MoKA with terms like "whodunit", "jump window", "manic laughter", or this for example and see if anything rings a bell.

Oh, and I'll just have to second this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TenLittleMurderVictims (Don't click any links on that page. It's a downward spiral from there.)

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Finn said:
As for the OP's problem, despite utilizing most of my search skills, I came up with big ole nothing. What you really need is running into someone who's seen the film.

When I saw "Finn" in the "last post" post column I was expecting to see this thread had been closed! :D

Hats off to you, Finn, if you consider this thread a keeper. I dig these kinds of investigative challenges.

Finn said:
In the meanwhile, you can try MoKA with terms like "whodunit", "jump window", "manic laughter", or this for example and see if anything rings a bell..)

I tried "whodunit" in IMDB, and the only likely film in the expected timeframe was Ten Little Indians, which Andy knows it isn't.

We're going to need some more specific details.

WillKill4Food

Edit: Useless post.I thought I had the film but was wrong.
To prevent this post from being a complete waste, I thought I'd direct Pale Horse to this website, which I think he might like based on his previous recommendations.

____
it shows an edit here, when there is none. I meant to quote, not edit. the message above is as it was prior to my footprints.

Last edited by a moderator:

Finn

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
Hats off to you, Finn, if you consider this thread a keeper. I dig these kinds of investigative challenges.
No problem. I pretty much make my living out of these. FYI.

Besides, not up to me to be a killjoy considering the two of my equals already let it slide.

Montana Smith

Finn said:
No problem. I pretty much make my living out of these. FYI.

Now I'm intrigued! :)

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire... The Finn." :cool:

AndyLGR

Montana Smith said:
I tried "whodunit" in IMDB, and the only likely film in the expected timeframe was Ten Little Indians, which Andy knows it isn't.

We're going to need some more specific details.
I was hoping someone would of actually seen it to jog their memories too.

In fact looking at Ten Little Indians / and Then there were None, there was a version made in 1974, which is set in the desert somewhere. I don't recall seeing that version, but I need to watch that version to the eliminate the fact that I may have got the end wrong in my hazy memory and its not in fact snow but desert at the end.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Finn said:
In the meanwhile, you can try MoKA with terms like "whodunit", "jump window", "manic laughter", or this for example and see if anything rings a bell.

Star Pulse has a pretty good differential engine too. And, never forget Netflix. But that will take some time to filter.

WillKill4Food said:
Edit: Useless post.I thought I had the film but was wrong.
To prevent this post from being a complete waste, I thought I'd direct Pale Horse to this website, which I think he might like based on his previous recommendations.

that rocks!

Finn

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
Now I'm intrigued! :)

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire... The Finn." :cool:
What, professional information seeking - or data tracking, you might say - a new concept for you?

Yes, they're actually schooling people to fulfill the information needs of others. We're trained to instinctively use various search methods and sources an Average Joe might not even think about. Deep searches, utilizing multiple sources, sometimes even putting together complete packages from multiple small fragments... If it's published somewhere, either in the web or on paper, the odds are I'll find it.

Still, if you expect to find me in a darkened basement beating that final missing piece out of some thug, well... I usually charge extra for that.

Yeah, not too many of us are working private... yet. But considering the amount of documents created is growing exponentially, I wouldn't be surprised if that was common practice one day.

If you wish to talk to one sooner, I recommend hoofing it over to your local library. Many people in the field (counting yours truly) are also certified librarians.

<small>Crack a Noah Wyle joke though, and you'll find your sorry backside banned from here to the Mayan apocalypse.</small>

Pale Horse

Staff member
Finn said:
Still, if you expect to find me in a darkened basement beating that final missing piece out of some thug, well... I usually charge extra for that.

Let's form a corporation. A consulting firm. There's good money, and girls, when you're a 'consultant'.

Mickiana

While people are wracking their brains for Andy, there was a flick I was trying to remember. It was a James Bond style flick in which a laser weapon was used. It could evaporate (dry out) anything, especially people, at a long distance. A whole busload of people are reduced to mummified corpses if I'm correct. I'm sure there was a chase scene where a skier is outrunning the laser's beam while it cuts a swathe in the snow behind him. I think I saw it when I was about 11 or 12 (1979 - 1980) on television. Any ideas anyone?

Stoo

Mickiana said:
While people are wracking their brains for Andy, there was a flick I was trying to remember. It was a James Bond style flick in which a laser weapon was used. It could evaporate (dry out) anything, especially people, at a long distance. A whole busload of people are reduced to mummified corpses if I'm correct. I'm sure there was a chase scene where a skier is outrunning the laser's beam while it cuts a swathe in the snow behind him. I think I saw it when I was about 11 or 12 (1979 - 1980) on television. Any ideas anyone?
"Death Ray 2000" from 1981. It was the unaired pilot for the earlier TV series, "A Man Called Sloane". (I didn't even have to do a search for this one!;))

Stoo

Mickiana said:
Cheers, Stoo.:hat:
My pleasure, Mickey.:)
AndyLGR said:
In fact looking at Ten Little Indians / and Then there were None, there was a version made in 1974, which is set in the desert somewhere. I don't recall seeing that version, but I need to watch that version to the eliminate the fact that I may have got the end wrong in my hazy memory and its not in fact snow but desert at the end.
Andy, I saw the '74 version over the weekend and it's not the film you're looking for.:( The ending wasn't as you described so your quest continues...
Finn said:
Crack a Noah Wyle joke though, and you'll find your sorry backside banned from here to the Mayan apocalypse.
How many Noah Wyles does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

AndyLGR

Stoo said:
Andy, I saw the '74 version over the weekend and it's not the film you're looking for.:( The ending wasn't as you described so your quest continues...
Yep I bought it off Ebay and watched it the other day.

Incidentally I still say the 1945 adaptation of And Then There Were None is the best of the versions I've seen. In fact I think we must be due a film remake or another TV adaptation sometime soon.

Montana Smith

AndyLGR said:
OK I remember watching a film quite a few years ago now and its only really the final scene I can remeber. But I think the movie was set in a large house or large ski lodge, the guests were being murdered one by one. At the end, either the host of the house or the lone survivor is sitting at the head of a table with a large window behind him (I think its a snowy view outside). He realises either hes the only one left or his plan had backfired or he goes mad and he jumps out of the window behind him and runs away. I seem to remember the guy had large dark glasses on too and was laughing manically (as they do) as he ran away from the window.

I had originally thought it was Ten Little Indians, Murder by Death or And Then There were None but I have all those on DVD and its not them.

I know its a touch on the vague side (understatement) but I cant for the life of me think what the movie is. Hopefully it will jog someones memory.

Andy, was it you who asked this question below?

Last Survivor at Haunted Mansion Gets Stabbed By Front Gate

by Anonymous

What's the late 50's or early 60's movie where guests are invited to an old house and only one survives?

In the end, he is laughing and leaning on the high gates in front of the house, and the gate closes and stabs him through the back of the head and he hangs there.

http://www.best-horror-movies.com/last-survivor-at-haunted-mansion-gets-stabbed-by-front-gate.html

The answer was Castle of Blood (1964).

It just seemed similar, with the last man standing laughing maniacally.

I happened across that page because I was wracking my brains for the scene in a movie where a girl runs along a beach and trips over a body. I could have sworn it was Jaws - but I couldn't find it on a fast run-through.

The reason this came about was...

As an off-shoot of Cliffhangers - Republic Pictures & Other Saturday Matinee Serials I'[ve been watching a few Charlie Chan films from 1946.

In The Trap there's a scene that struck me as being so familiar that it stopped me in my tracks. A girl runs down the beach and trips over a body hidden by a mound of seaweed.

Joe Brody

There's a Dracula adaptation that I can't find. It is color and I think from the '70's. The scene that I remember has a tunnel that (I think) connects Cairfax Abbey with Seward's asylum. The tunnel figures into the story and there's a scene with a very bloody and scary character who I think is Lucy Westerna.

Any help?