Indy Legos!!!

fixer79

Thanks for the info, Crack that whip :)

Only a few days now until we finally know what the Comic-Con exclusive will be...
I hope it won't be too special, 'cos I won't be able to get it ;)

Crack that whip

Well, let's see - 200 pieces would be about the right number for 40 exclusive minifigs, with one accessory each, or slightly more if some don't come with stuff to hold.

I predict we'll get Indy in about a dozen different looks (including different ages, disguises, etc.), Marion in three or four outfits we don't have, Willie in three or four outfits, Shorty, a couple Sallahs, Remy, young Henry, Anna Jones, Indiana (the dog), Belloq in a couple outfits we don't have, Toht, Mola Ram, Mac, Oxley, Herman, "Fedora," Helen Seymour, the Grail Knight, Kazim, Vicky Prentiss, Lao Che, Lawrence of Arabia, Dracula, Maharajah Zalim Singh, Chattar Lal, Major Blumburtt and Sophia Hapgood... yeah, that should do nicely.

;)

DetectiveFork

Minifigs are actually more expensive for Lego to produce than regular block pieces, so I doubt they would do that! I agree that it is more likely to be a larger-scale Crystal Skull or something of that nature.

Crack that whip

DetectiveFork said:
Minifigs are actually more expensive for Lego to produce than regular block pieces, so I doubt they would do that!

So do I; I was joking. ;) I don't really think it'll be anything minifig-scaled at all, but probably just a set of clear bricks with which to build a Crystal Skull, or something like that. Of course, if so I'll still want it anyway, despite having scads of general bricks already... :p

(Though on the other hand, we don't know what the price is, and they could probably easily charge a fortune and still count on being able to sell them all if there are only 500 copies...)

Crack that whip

Indyd! ;)

I remember seeing pics of that lifesize LEGO Indy at some previous event, only shown with the Chachapoyan Idol in hand instead of the Crystal Skull. Interesting to see they're continuing to use it.

I wonder whether the SDCC exclusive is anything like that Skull. I believe that one in Indy's hand is more than 200 bricks, though...

Crack that whip

Oh, BTW...

Katarn07 said:
No Ticket said:
You can't get Lego to send you a figure with the Indy head or something?

It's probably more trouble than its worth.

Anyone with any issues with their LEGO sets can easily obtain replacement components from LEGO's customer support. It's pretty painless and fast. It also isn't usually necessary all that often, though it sounds like they've unfortunately had some issues with some of the Indy sets. Fortunately, though, it's very easily rectified. Katarn07, you should give that a shot if you haven't already.

Gregorius

Crystal Skull Head

I have been wanting to create the crystal skull head out of the clear legos ever since I saw it in the lego store. I asked a couple of employees if there are directions on how to build it, but they were clueless. All you would need to do is buy bunch of clear legos. I have been thinking of using lego's custom design program to layout skull. If you want to give it a shot, you can get the program at - http://ldd.lego.com/ It's free. Let me know if you get a good design of the skull. :D This is my first post!! Long time reader, I finally thought I should start participating.

fixer79

Ah...

So this is the exclusive...

72e6_1.JPG
µ

http://cgi.ebay.it/Lego-COMIC-CON-S...ryZ19011QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ah...

:confused:

DetectiveFork

Yeah, my Lost Tomb set came with an Anakin Skywalker head instead of an Indy head. Luckily, I already had an extra Indy I picked up on Bricklink.

As for that being the exclusive, I am on the one hand glad it's a minifig set. But on the other hand, I'm puzzled about what it's supposed to be. Looks random. Is that the same jeep as the Brickmaster exclusive? Of course it's already on eBay for hundreds of dollars. I thought Lego would have created something unusual or different that we wouldn't have seen in stores. This just feels like a rejected set.

fixer79

DetectiveFork said:
This just feels like a rejected set.

You can say that again...

This was the Star Wars exclusive set, btw...

335e_1.JPG

That thing's got 16 minifigs or somethin'...

Gentlemen, we've been had again.
Stupid favourite first-born...

:mad:

Crack that whip

Oh, cool!

Yes, that is the same jeep offered to Brickmaster member/subscribers, with stuff added! I think it's not supposed to represent any particular scene, but rather an imagined (what LEGO is all about, after all) "typically Indy" adventure scenario. The cool thing here is getting two additional Ugha warriors - until this, the only way to get them has been to get the Temple of the Crystal Skull set, which is the largest and most expensive Indy set to date, and it comes with just two, too. I of course realize it's not going to be available for the original price to anyone outside SDCC, but how much does / did it cost at the con?

It seems to be a nice middle ground between a really cool addition to one's Indy LEGO collection if one can get it, while at the same time being not truly essential if one can't get it (as most of us can't), since everything in it is in other, more widely available sets - aside from the Brickmaster member Jungle Cruiser, it has the Ugha from Temple of the Crystal Skull, the ramp elements are 10º 6x8 slope bricks decorated with the same art as the one at the entrance in Temple Escape (I presume they're stickers in this one as well), the skull relief element is also in Temple Escape (and in white in some of the Pirates and Harry Potter sets from a few years ago), and everything else is in various other sets as well, and lots of parts are widely available in tons of things. I imagine this won't be too hard to recreate with pieces from elsewhere if someone who missed out on the SDCC set is intent on doing so; at the same time, it'll still be a cool little set to have (and I hope my "contacts" at the Con succeed(ed) in snagging it for me!).
(y)

Vance

Well, I'm actually surprised by the relative lameness of the exclusive, and also thankful that I have the jeep already, and I' not really into collecting the 'background' lego dioramas... WHEW!

Crack that whip

fixer79 said:
You can say that again...

This was the Star Wars exclusive set, btw...

335e_1.JPG

That thing's got 16 minifigs or somethin'...

Gentlemen, we've been had again.
Stupid favourite first-born...

:mad:

That is interesting. This set went completely under the radar; I had no idea LEGO was also going to have any kind of Star Wars SDCC exclusive at all.

FWIW, though, do note that one costs $75 at SDCC (and there's no telling how much it'll be on eBay :p ), but it's really very similar to a combination of three sets that together cost $40 (or did before one of them was discontinued just weeks ago). That set looks very much like the total you'd get by buying Hailfire Droid & Spider Droid, the Droids Battle Pack and the just-discontinued Clone Troopers Battle Pack, with three differences:
? The SDCC set has the new Clone Wars cartoon-style versions of the old "Phase I" clones from Episode II rather than the later "Phase II" ones from Episode III
? The SDCC set has one more Clone Trooper and one more Super Battle Droid than would be in the combination of sets I've described
? The SDCC set seems to lack the tiny speeder and gun turret found in the Clone Troopers Battle Pack

Otherwise, this set effectively duplicates the contents of those three sets, for $30 more. Indy fans, OTOH (isn't there a lot of overlap between the two camps anyway?) get a smaller set, but one that gives us our only additional Ugha warriors outside Temple of the Crystal Skull, which we'd need to spend $80 a pop on. I really like this little set; I think I'd like to buy several of them to get more Ugha and more general bricks if it were widely available. As it is, I'll be lucky to get one at all, but we'll see (to be honest, I'm really hoping that each of two people at CC I've asked to try for it are able to come through, and that I therefore score a couple, but I'm not holding my breath). I still don't know how much this one costs, though. Might it be $35? I'm guessing that based on the pricing for the SW:CW exclusive and how it relates to comparable sets, but I haven't seen anything on the price for this yet, except what somebody's already asking on eBay... :eek:

Crack that whip

Vance said:
Well, I'm actually surprised by the relative lameness of the exclusive, and also thankful that I have the jeep already, and I' not really into collecting the 'background' lego dioramas... WHEW!

Different strokes, and all that. :hat: I'm grateful for this (assuming I can lay hands on it) if it means I can get more Ugha; I'd like to eventually have (or build myself) figs of pretty much everybody in all the movies and TV shows, and I want a slew of Ughas, but I don't see myself getting umpteen copies of set #7627 at $79.99 apiece in order to get them (though I'd actually be willing to get as many as four of those, if I could afford it).

Getting another Indy minifig at this point, of course, is another matter, even as cool as the fig is. However, with or without this set it's already abundantly clear that collecting LEGO Indy is going to mean collecting LEGO Indy himself over and over... and over... and over... :D :p Counting this and the smaller, more plentiful BM exclusive (a subset of this one, hahahahaha :p :D ), there are now eleven Indiana Jones sets, and every one of them comes with the exact same Indy minifig. I can't think of another LEGO line with so much duplication of a single unique character from set to set, licensed or otherwise. It's a good thing it's an easy fig to love, because we're going to be seeing a lot of it over the course of this license... :p

Vance

I'm saying it's 'lame' not because it's a terrible set, but that there's really nothing special about it. It's a little hard to get the Ugha warriors, true, and the exact jeep from Brickmaster - but neither are impossible and both will be easier than getting the SDCC set. And, of course, the 'scene' pieces are ALL from other sets anyway.

You're right about the Indy Minifig. This would have been an EXCELLENT chance to show 'Indy II' , in a Temple of Doom or other style, to break up the line a little.

DetectiveFork

I heard from the fellow who is trying to get the Indy set for me, and he said Lego is doing a raffle to see who gets the sets. Geez, you would think they just could have made more.

Crack that whip

Vance said:
I'm saying it's 'lame' not because it's a terrible set, but that there's really nothing special about it. It's a little hard to get the Ugha warriors, true, and the exact jeep from Brickmaster - but neither are impossible and both will be easier than getting the SDCC set. And, of course, the 'scene' pieces are ALL from other sets anyway.

See, I think of the set on its own terms, relative only to what's included with other sets, but not to the availability of any one set. If this weren't a limited-edition rarity but instead were available everywhere, it'd be a fine little set, offering "Ugha army-building" opportunity as well as decorative element inventory-building that not all the other sets offer. I do think the Ugha warriors are enough to make it somewhat "special," albeit not uniquely so - but then, since we are forced to deal with its scarcity, it's frankly just as well that it doesn't contain any unique essentials.

And at any rate, I also think it's more desirable than just a pile of clear or gold bricks to put together into a small Crystal Skull or Ark of the Covenant, which is what it was widely guessed to be.

Vance said:
You're right about the Indy Minifig. This would have been an EXCELLENT chance to show 'Indy II' , in a Temple of Doom or other style, to break up the line a little.

As a KotCS set, a jacketed Indy is pretty much required, unless you just mean the whole set should've been something different. If that were the case, though, I still wouldn't want it to have anything unique - it'd be pretty damn frustrating if there were official LEGO minifigs for jacketless, one-sleeved Indy, Mola Ram, etc., but only 500 copies in existence of each. Instead, we get a set that's desirable on its own terms, but that can be completely made up for with combinations of other sets and elements if one can't get it. I think that's probably the best balance for this limited-edition set to have achieved. I'd really hate for tens or hundreds of thousands of LEGO Indy fans to all be competing on eBay for the same five hundred Short Round or Sallah minifigs.

(Actually, one alternative would've been for this to be a set with unique elements now, but which would eventually become available in later sets. That might be more desirable, but I'm not sure...)

Crack that whip

DetectiveFork said:
I heard from the fellow who is trying to get the Indy set for me, and he said Lego is doing a raffle to see who gets the sets. Geez, you would think they just could have made more.

Yeah, but that'd be true with any limited edition number they came up with, unless it were so high that it no longer had any meaning as a limited edition.

A raffle? So rather than selling the sets directly, they're selling chances to win one? Yikes. :eek: I don't know whether either of the people I asked would be willing to buy tickets for a chance at winning one unless I told them in advance I'd pay for tickets, and I don't think I have a way to get in touch with them during the convention (not that I'm a big fan of raffles and lotteries anyway, but if it's the only way to get one of these sets, I'd probably be willing to spend a few dollars on the endeavor). How much are the tickets?

Vance

Crack that whip said:
And at any rate, I also think it's more desirable than just a pile of clear or gold bricks to put together into a small Crystal Skull or Ark of the Covenant, which is what it was widely guessed to be.

It fits more with the existing sets of course. Granted, if that were the case, I would have preferred something a little more fan-wanky.. like, say, Sallah and Indy in the map room or something. :)

Actually, one alternative would've been for this to be a set with unique elements now, but which would eventually become available in later sets. That might be more desirable, but I'm not sure...)

That's what I meant. This could be the 'launch' set for some updated pieces. Like introducing the TOD Indy, or maybe 'White Suit' Belloq, or something, which would come out in a couple of months in the regular sets.