Are you sure its in Marrakesh?

Webley

Do you think the Hovitos would have let Belloq have the Golden Idol. What could Belloq have said that would have made the Hovitos cool with the fact that he was leaving with there beloved Idol? Do you think he killed the Hovitos to get away with the Golden Idol?

nOOb

judging from the Raiders of the Lost Ark sourcebook (which has a excerpt from Belloq's diary), he simply took off after ordering all the tribesmen with him to hunt down Indy.

monkey

The Hovitos had no connection with the idol. It was something from a long lost civilization; long dead before the Hovitos ever came to be in that corner of the Amazon. The Hovitos were no doubt simply paid mercenaries of Belloq. Perhaps he paid them with $24 worth of shiny beads.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
nOOb said:
so why did they all kneel when Belloq raised the idol up?

Perhaps they felt a certain duty and reverence towards it. They knew it came from the temple, which they had doubtlessly regarded as some element left behind by the gods.

(And yes, that was said with a haughty British accent.)

monkey

Exactly.

They knelt down in reverence to that which they worshipped, but did not necessarily understand.

Indeed something left behind by the 'Gods'.

Snakewhip_Sable

Read more about the Chachapoyans in the June 2004 National Geographic. They didn't die out all that long ago, archeologically speaking. They were wiped out by Spanish carried smallpox in 1700 c.e. - I guess you could call that 'long lost'.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
How exactly does that contribute to the conversation?
I sense someone is trying to boost their post count to get an avatar.

AnnieJones

All I know is what happened to the idol after ROTLA according to Indiana Jones Wiki and The Ultimate Guide.
The information below is information I found on Indiana Jones Wiki.

Chachapoyan Fertility Idol Indiana Jones Wiki

The Chachapoyan Fertility Idol was a solid gold statue, six inches tall, representing the Chachapoyan goddess of fertility. The idol was hidden by the tribe's priests in a temple deep within the jungles of Peru. Braving the temple's deadly traps to stare into the idol's eyes became a rite of passage for young Chachapoyan warriors.

In 1935, a Princeton archaeologist named Forrestal disappeared in the jungle attempting to recover the idol. The following year, Indiana Jones, on commission from the National Museum and working from Forrestal's notes, managed to locate the temple and extract the statue, only to have it immediately stolen by rogue archaeologist René Belloq. Belloq promptly unloaded the artifact in Marrakesh, where Jones later re-appropriated it from the shop of antiquities dealer Saad Hassim.

The National Museum celebrated the idol's arrival with a lavish banquet at the Diamond's Eye nightclub in New York City. Among the guests was a band of angry Hovitos led by Xomec, alleged descendant of the Chachapoyans. Xomec swiped the idol from curator Marcus Brody and fled to the jungles of Brazil. Jones gave chase, and after defeating Xomec and his Nazi co-conspirator Ilsa Toht, once again reclaimed the idol for the museum.

The information below is information I found in The Ultimate Guide.

September 1936 Indy receives Sallah's help in recovering the Chachapoyan fertility idol.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

The ROTLA Sourcebook, as stated above, does record Belloq's diary, stating he escaped with the idol while the Hovitos were chasing Indy.

However, I read somewhere else, where Belloq says something along the lines of: 'I was lucky to get away with my life. Do you think they would have let me take the idol?'

I can't remember where I read that. It might have been from an eariler screenplay.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
It was filmed and cut.

Does the film still exist, Rocket Surgeon? What does it show? It'd be funny to see Belloq running for his life. I guess that's why they cut it - Belloq couldn't be outsmarted until the end of the film, otherwise it would diminish his position as Indy's chief rival.

What about copies of the idol showing up in Marrakesh? Is there more background on that?

Matt

Montana Smith said:
Does the film still exist, Rocket Surgeon? What does it show? It'd be funny to see Belloq running for his life. I guess that's why they cut it - Belloq couldn't be outsmarted until the end of the film, otherwise it would diminish his position as Indy's chief rival.

What about copies of the idol showing up in Marrakesh? Is there more background on that?

Matt

Who knows, it was a brief line of dialog between them in the bar in Cairo. If it was 10 seconds of screentime cut it might have been about what 30' of film? It's possible it's in a can somewhere but who knows.

I tend to think they cut it because it interrupted the flow and direction of the scene, (and if you edit like I do 10 sec here and there adds up quickly). I don't see it as Belloq being outsmarted as much as it might have gone to his choice of "associates", like Indy's taste in friends...

There was some talk that the copies showing up in Marrakesh was partial motivation for folowing Forrestal into the Jungle but I've seen now further development of the idea anywhere but TSR Roleplaying game. While entertaining, I don't give it much weight, some, not much...but that's just me.