If the quality of the first half kept through, would Indy 4 be a huge fanboy hit?

If the first half's quality continued through the end, would Indy 4 be a lot better?

• Yes

Votes: 34 77.3%
  • No

Votes: 10 22.7%

• Total voters

davejames

James said:
I think the 50s setting and B movie concept was bound to polarize a certain amount of fans no matter what.

Probably so, but for most of us I think it was just the lazy execution more than anything.

It's not like Temple of Doom had a brilliant, highly original storyline either. But the execution of the story was so superb it made up for most of the story's problems (at least for us few Temple of Doom fans :D).

Salacious

I agree to the topic. I really really enjoyed the first half of the movie. The second half wasnt the greatest and the jungle chase wasnt anything to write home about either. Add the monkeys, Mutt being Tarzan, Mutt doing the splitz, Mutt swordfighting, the 3 waterfall drops, Marion being more ditzy than normal and Allen's acting off, Mac and Ox being annoying, Marion driving the car off the cliff onto the tree with it lowering, the natives not being all that great, no big thing for Indy to do in the last half hour, the ants not being all that great, the lack of tension and excitement in the last half hour, the lame wedding....need I say more?

First half aside from Indy surviving the atomic blast was great though!

Agent Z

Everything up until Indy popped in that fridge was awesome. I mean, ok the prairie dogs were ass, but I can deal with them at the end of the day.

The other problem is that I LOVE the Doomtown setup...I'm just not sure of another way for Indy to escape...save for finding an underground bomb shelter, which would be alright, but kinda lame.*

*I need to research bomb test sites. You would think that they would have underground shelters in them, just in case someone was out there at the wrong time and place....

sandiegojones

Agent Z said:
Everything up until Indy popped in that fridge was awesome. I mean, ok the prairie dogs were ass, but I can deal with them at the end of the day.

The other problem is that I LOVE the Doomtown setup...I'm just not sure of another way for Indy to escape...save for finding an underground bomb shelter, which would be alright, but kinda lame.*

*I need to research bomb test sites. You would think that they would have underground shelters in them, just in case someone was out there at the wrong time and place....

Check out the "plausible" thread. I checked into the Nevada Test site. They didn't build bomb shelters in "Survival Towns". They did build homes out of various materials (concrete and wood) and did store them with appliances, food and mannequins. Depending on the distance from the blast some structures and mannequins survived, others didn't. On average a building about 7500 feet away survived. In KOTCS Indy was about a mile (5280 feet) from the bomb tower.

Also, I found that the likely inspiration for this scene came from a 1954 film with Mickey Rooney called "The Atomic Kid" which is about a scientist who wanders into a "survival town" before an atomic test and doesn't realize it until just before the blast. Somehow he survives and comedy insues.

I believe the fridge part was inspired by hurricanes (which extreme storms have been compared to the destruction of an A-bomb). Often you see the aftermath of a hurricane or tornado and see fridges thrown a hundred yards from the home but are still intact. I think they used these ideas and merged them into one scene.

Of course it's still silly, but it's a movie and at least it appears grounded in some truth or was another nod to the 50's.

Last edited:

Agent Z

sandiegojones said:
Check out the "plausible" thread. I checked into the Nevada Test site. They didn't build bomb shelters in "Survival Towns". They did build homes out of various materials (concrete and wood) and did store them with appliances, food and mannequins. Depending on the distance from the blast some structures and mannequins survived, others didn't. On average a building about 7500 feet away survived. In KOTCS Indy was about a mile (5280 feet) from the bomb tower.

Also, I found that the likely inspiration for this scene came from a 1954 film with Mickey Rooney called "The Atomic Kid" which is about a scientist who wanders into a "survival town" before an atomic test and doesn't realize it until just before the blast. Somehow he survives and comedy insues.

I believe the fridge part was inspired by hurricanes (which extreme storms have been compared to the destruction of an A-bomb). Often you see the aftermath of a hurricane or tornado and see fridges thrown a hundred yards from the home but are still intact. I think they used these ideas and merged them into one scene.

Of course it's still silly, but it's a movie and at least it appears grounded in some truth or was another nod to the 50's.

That's pretty interesting stuff! I will definitely check out said thread later on.

I may find the answers in the thread or on later research, but I would also like to know why they would have running water in a "Survival Town". Perhaps to test the effects of the radiation on the water?

The vehicles we see are another notable addition. Obviously to gauge the damage from the blast and such, but it would be interesting to see if they were straight salvage yard clunkers or operational at times.

The Commie car racing away before the explosion....part of me needs to break that down, cause I think they may have had a chance to escape from the major impact that we see them suffer in the film.

Again, I'll check out the thread later on...just rambling here for a sec. :p

sandiegojones

Agent Z said:
That's pretty interesting stuff! I will definitely check out said thread later on.

I may find the answers in the thread or on later research, but I would also like to know why they would have running water in a "Survival Town". Perhaps to test the effects of the radiation on the water?

The vehicles we see are another notable addition. Obviously to gauge the damage from the blast and such, but it would be interesting to see if they were straight salvage yard clunkers or operational at times.
Here's a link to the actual government site about the testing grounds, lots of photos:

http://www.nv.doe.gov/library/photos/doorstep.aspx

They did use water, electricity and gas, food, cars and other common suburban items in testing to fully understand how it would effect average community.

Also, I think the scene is a bit of a joke. Kind of a play on "duck and cover" which was ridiculous then as it is now.

peterlally

The fridge thing was a desperation thing on Indys behalf he should have been dead and he was surprised to be alive in the end.

I did think that showing indy in front of the mushroom could with the music as it was in the background was excellent. Indy has arrived and things are different now. He lived thorough an era of dramatic change its part of his character.

I wasnt over impressed with KOTCS but i knew i wouldnt be first time round 20 years of anticipation is never going to let you think the film is fantastic until you have time to adjust to it over the film you made in your head.

Grizzlor

The one big problem with the second half of the film was that the Russians suddenly became almost pointless, and not very threatening, and the purpose/power of the Crystal skull and the "aliens" was never fully spelled out. The scene prior to Indy and Marion getting stuck in the sand was really disjointed. Being an avid UFO-ite, I know about the alien theories of the pyramids, mayans and all that. Things were happening without being well explained that's all. More meat on the script was needed. Unfortunately they went with action sequences instead of dialogue.

MolaRam2

The first hour was decent (and much better than the second hour), but still heavily flawed. The nuking the fridge and CGI praire dogs were idiotic. The campus chase was entertaining, but not up to par with any of the action scenes from the first three movies. There was no real danger or sense of adventure during the campus chase, it felt too safe. Why does so much of an Indy movie take place in America in the first place? I live in America, Indy movies are suppose to take me to places I don't live. The cemetray scene should have been way creepier and should have had a lot more danger. The cemetary warriors looked stupid once demasked. Plus, there was too much exposition in the cemetary scene. If the quality of the first half kept up, the movie would have been a lot better, but it wouldn't have been great.