User Name
Password

Old 10-15-2008, 09:01 AM   #26
deckard24
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man

"How does 'Jungle Boogie' go again?"
Where do you find these awesome pics? Do you have a cache of hysterical images ready to go on photobucket?
deckard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:05 AM   #27
WeAreGoingToDie
IndyFan

It could be a one monkey man show!

"I've been swinging past the crates one day
keeping meanie meanie Russians away
I was taken by surprise
with the Ark before my eyes
I've finally found it, hip-hooray!"
WeAreGoingToDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:18 AM   #28
StoneTriple
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy~Annie
maybe its cause i never seen Indy at the theater just at home....hmmm...

I think you've experienced - and now voiced - one of the big lines of division on this board. There are fans who experienced the films in the theaters and fans that grew up with them as a boxed set.
For my generation, we only really had the theater experience for a while. When we were able to see Indy at home, it was usually on our tube televisions playing VHS tapes. Some of us, myself included, had laserdisc players hooked up to our "stereo". While that may have given us a slightly better picture and slightly better sound, the picture was still only on our big 26" TV. Man, even PC monitors are bigger and better than that now. For us, the Indiana Jones World was best at the theaters. It's how we were introduced to it. That's where we connected to the stories.

Because the franchise spans decades, there is another generation of fans. Fans that only ever experienced the films at home. Their Indiana Jones World was born in the comfort & familiarity of their own home – on equipment that is unbelievably better than what we had in the early 80s. They’re watching the films on 50” flat-screen plasma TVs, with DVD quality pictures, and incredible sound systems. Indiana Jones is bigger than life in their homes. For us, watching it at home in the early 80s was a big step backwards from the theater experience.

In May of this year, seeing Indiana Jones in a theater may have seemed out of place to the young generation, much the same way seeing it on an old tube TV would have seemed out of place for us, back in the 80s.

It may just come down to mental comfort. These films after all, are something very emotional – for all of us - regardless of age.

For someone like Annie, perhaps once Kingdom had come home – literally as well as figuratively - and joined the rest of the franchise, she was able to see & experience the adventure in a way that allowed her to emotionally connect to it the way she did the other three.

I will say, as I watched it last night I really enjoyed it – and I’m someone who loved it in the theater. I felt even more connected than I did four months ago.

Last edited by StoneTriple : 10-15-2008 at 09:42 AM.
StoneTriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:50 AM   #29
arkfinder
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major West
You should probably move onto another subject really.

I'll second that.
arkfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:02 AM   #30
sandiegojones
IndyFan

Raiders was the first film I ever saw in a theater. I also saw LC in the theater, but I've seen all of them far more on video at home so that's how I'm accustomed to viewing them.

Watching KOTCS on DVD really made it a more similar experience.The films take place in different time periods so some things stick out, but I could still watch all 4 back to back and have it feel pretty seamless.
sandiegojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:49 PM   #31
James
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegojones
I could still watch all 4 back to back and have it feel pretty seamless.

I think it's the most seamless of all the recent "80's comeback" films. Die Hard and Rambo are both pretty jarring (stylistically, when viewed alongside their previous entries), but Indy feels like it was cut from the same cloth.

I really didn't expect the 50's setting to blend as well as it does. A big part of this is undoubtedly due to Harrison Ford. It's really quite amazing how effortlessly he stepped back into the role.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:33 PM   #32
Snap
IndyFan

Well I went down to Best Buy to purchase Fifa 09. I wasn't planning on buying kotcs, but I decided to check it out anyway. Didn't see a special edition version except for one that came with a cheap crystal skull replica. And to further my displeasement with best buy that day, they didn't have fifa 09. SO I left without getting anything. I guess I'm gonna wait to till either my mom gets it, and I can get it from her when I get back from college, or I decided to get it after a few more watches of forgetting sarah marshall, which is a great film I suggest everyone gets.

Oh yeah, I saw Young Indy "The change years" and was going to get that until I saw that it was over 100 dollars. Holy crap huh?
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:40 PM   #33
James
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap
Oh yeah, I saw Young Indy "The change years" and was going to get that until I saw that it was over 100 dollars. Holy crap huh?

Tuesday was actually the first time I've considered buying Young Indy, since Best Buy has all three sets priced at $49.99 this week.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:54 PM   #34
Dewy9
IndyFan

It was great to see KOTCS again on the small screen. I put off watching most of the bonus features so that some of it will still seem new.
Dewy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:14 PM   #35
weaponx24
IndyFan

I bought it on Blu-Ray and have watched it twice now. Definitely liking it the more I watch it. Just a different type of adventure for Indy from the previous. Plus when Im watching it I keep in mind that Lucas said that this is supposed to be a "B" type classic 50's alien type story. So thats what I relate some of the cheesy lines to...I dont know. Maybe its just me...
weaponx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #36
Indy_Chic
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
Dear God, is Lucas reading this?!

I certainly hope not....the mental images of a Crystal Skull musical are too disturbing....
Indy_Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:18 PM   #37
AtomicAge
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneTriple
I think you've experienced - and now voiced - one of the big lines of division on this board. There are fans who experienced the films in the theaters and fans that grew up with them as a boxed set.
For my generation, we only really had the theater experience for a while. When we were able to see Indy at home, it was usually on our tube televisions playing VHS tapes. Some of us, myself included, had laserdisc players hooked up to our "stereo". While that may have given us a slightly better picture and slightly better sound, the picture was still only on our big 26" TV. Man, even PC monitors are bigger and better than that now. For us, the Indiana Jones World was best at the theaters. It's how we were introduced to it. That's where we connected to the stories.

I saw Raiders at a sneek preview when I was 16 about 2 weeks before it opened. I had no idea what Raiders of the Lost Ark was. I thought it might be something to do with Noah's Ark. Much to my surprise! It had a huge influence on my interest in film making.

I actually got a projectionist to let me into the booth with a video camera on the re-release, so I could get my own letterboxed copy of the film. (at that point only the pan and scan VHS was available).

I intentionally didn't read anything about Crystal Skull before it came out, so I was going in blind other than knowing it took place in the 50's. I have to say that it reminded me very much of that first viewing of Raiders, when I knew nothing about it.

Doug
AtomicAge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:21 PM   #38
RaideroftheArk
IndyFan

Quote:
i just got done watching Indy 4!!!

and i was wondering if any body else got this same feeling as me.

as i was watching it,i felt like i was watching an Indy movie.ok uh when i saw it at the theater i loved it! but i had to admit to myself it didnt really feel like an Indy movie,but now since i seen it at home it felt more Indy~ish

do you understand what i mean?

but did anyone have the same feeling as me?

maybe its cause i never seen Indy at the theater just at home....hmmm...

This totally happened to me...except I really didn't like it the first time I saw it....I had to see it a second time to appreciate it and realize it was just as good as all the other Indy sequels.

It's a fun movie to watch.
RaideroftheArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:02 PM   #39
Shortie
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegojones
Raiders was the first film I ever saw in a theater. I also saw LC in the theater, but I've seen all of them far more on video at home so that's how I'm accustomed to viewing them.

Watching KOTCS on DVD really made it a more similar experience.The films take place in different time periods so some things stick out, but I could still watch all 4 back to back and have it feel pretty seamless.

This is wrong for me. I loved KOCS in theaters. I don't have the DVD yet. Hopefully this weekend I will.
Shortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:02 PM   #40
Indy's brother
IndyFan

You know, maybe Skull feels more like Indy on the small screen, since that's the only place we've seen him in almost twenty years.
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:44 AM   #41
Indy~Annie
IndyFan

wow! im glad other people felt the same way as i did.hehe and i thought i was all by me onesy.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I GOT ANOTHER QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i wont start a thread cause i already did start one yesterday....

ok...when Indy's at Doom Town and the Bomb was fixing to be launched.they showed the bomb and i thought i remembered seeing "I Like Ike" written on it with red coloring,but now on dvd i couldnt see the writing (so apparently its not there. ) was i going crazy in the theater?lol
Indy~Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:59 AM   #42
Avilos
IndyFan

It's funny Indy~Annie, i was thinking of the very same thing watching the DVD. I was a big fan of the film in theaters. But it just seemed better now.

Theories-

1 I have grownup watching the films on TV. Whether on video tape or Cable and now DVDs. I only saw Last Crusade as a kid when it first came out. But I barely remember that. I was too young. As an adult I was able to see Raiders and Temple of Doom on the big screen a few years back. But still I am used to watching Indy on TV.

2 ALso the sound and picture was superior on DVD! Many complained about the music being to soft in theaters. Not a problem with the DVD. Also the effects seem more seamless on the DVD. This is not just a problem with this movie. Its a problem with theaters in general these days. The owners do a poor job with projector settings and adjusting sound systems.
Avilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:33 AM   #43
indy34
IndyFan

I won't be seeing it till the 30th doesn't come out in Australia till then 2 more weeks
indy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:35 AM   #44
arkfinder
IndyFan

Quote:
wow! im glad other people felt the same way as i did.hehe and i thought i was all by me onesy.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I GOT ANOTHER QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i wont start a thread cause i already did start one yesterday....

ok...when Indy's at Doom Town and the Bomb was fixing to be launched.they showed the bomb and i thought i remembered seeing "I Like Ike" written on it with red coloring,but now on dvd i couldnt see the writing (so apparently its not there. ) was i going crazy in the theater?lol

No it's there. Did you get widescreen? Or full screen?
arkfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:24 AM   #45
metalinvader
IndyFan

Quote:

It's still there.'I like Ike" was always written in white.
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:36 AM   #46
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy34
I won't be seeing it till the 30th doesn't come out in Australia till then 2 more weeks

I know..... I feel your pain.... However, I read a Blockbuster video catalog and they're got it coming out on the 29th. It's a day earlier. I don't know whether it's the double disc version or the single disc though. My heart's set on the double disc but I don't like the cover. I prefer the theatrical poster with everyone on it.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:02 AM   #47
Agent Z
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Indy
I know..... I feel your pain.... However, I read a Blockbuster video catalog and they're got it coming out on the 29th. It's a day earlier. I don't know whether it's the double disc version or the single disc though. My heart's set on the double disc but I don't like the cover. I prefer the theatrical poster with everyone on it.

Not that you would, but to anyone thinking of getting the single disc for any reason...DON'T!!

You will be missing out on some extremely cool special features which, for once, are truly special!

For those who don't like the dvd cover art, I'm sure you can find customs ones online easily.

And what is this about the Crystal Skull musical guys?!

*picturing Indy and Irina slowdancing underneath a moonlight-accented stage*

*swoons*
Agent Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:08 AM   #48
MaxPhactor23
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vile
This is not to enflame or create argument… But I know you have always disliked the movie and have been adamant about the issues you have with it (which is your prerogative)... so I'm curious to know why you purchased/secured the DVD? I may have misunderstood, but you’ve never appeared ambivalent towards KOTCS. Surely the risk is that you are just lining the pockets of Lucas/Spielberg, and helping fuel an inevitable Indy V - which will be conceptualized and produced in the same manner?

My family knows I’m an Indiana Jones fan, but I don’t particularly discuss this stuff with them…was a gift. Considering it is a part of the Indy series, whether I like it or not, I accepted as not to appear ungrateful. It's the thought that counts. Plus (more-or-less) I did legitimately want the second disc just to see quite why they decided to take the script through all those (what I would deem) boneheaded moves. I was curious about justifications on Georges part in particular. Of course I still don’t think anything could quite justify the ridiculous concept of aliens in Indiana Jones…but what the heck? It’s not all bad anyway. I rarely decline a gift and returning typically means I have to wait in an hour long line at Wal-Mart surrounded by red-necked trailer trash staring me down (with their evil eye) for the liberal hippie that I am. Maybe they're just jealous that I have all my teeth. So I’d rather be lazy and keep the movie then suffer through my local inbred Hell-mart return line.
MaxPhactor23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:49 AM   #49
davidsal
IndyFan

Waiting to get it on the mail. This wait is killing me, not different from the wait in May.

Is refreshing to see that many are starting to see the positives of this movie. I know it have problems, big ones. But it's FUN, FUN, FUN.
davidsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:38 AM   #50
WeAreGoingToDie
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Z
And what is this about the Crystal Skull musical guys?!

*picturing Indy and Irina slowdancing underneath a moonlight-accented stage*

*swoons*

Oh, you mean SKULL! the musical? Well considering Young Frankenstein and Legally Blond got theirs, then it's only a matter of time, right? Don't forget the "Graveyard Boogie Woogie" dance number.
WeAreGoingToDie is offline   Reply With Quote