TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: Which film did KOTCS remind you of the most?
Raiders of the Lost Ark 3 5.26%
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom 18 31.58%
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade 36 63.16%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2008, 07:13 AM   #26
deckard24
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Quazar
What, no option for "the Phantom Menace"?
LOL!!

LC hands down!
deckard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:48 PM   #27
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

In terms of story structure I think its most like Raiders, setting Temple of Doom, tone Last Crusade.
oki9Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:39 AM   #28
Bullwhip
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJess
what did was the relevance of Indy surviving an atomic bomb blast in a refrigerator have to do with the rest of the movie? All in all a dismal effort.

What relevance did the idol, Nurhachi, and the Cross of Coronado have to the previous movies?
Bullwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:49 AM   #29
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

Why does everyone say TOD is campy??? Are we all watching the same film
Nurhachi1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:18 AM   #30
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurhachi1991
Why does everyone say TOD is campy???

'Cause they can't tune out Willie and Short Round. If you can get past them, it's a solid Indy performance by Ford.
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:07 AM   #31
Sankara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Quazar
What, no option for "the Phantom Menace"?

Yes! Or what about "Jaws 4" *LOL*

That's the main problem of "Skull". This movie is not like an Indy-Movie...

@Indy's Brother
This is only your opinion. According to imdb, rottentomatoes or the empire magazin most people think that skull is the worst of the indy movies,
Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:11 AM   #32
Bullwhip
IndyFan

LOL. "Most people". Was there a worldwide exit poll done that I didn't know about?

You sure spend a lot of time thinking about a movie that you can't stand to think about.
Bullwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #33
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
@Indy's Brother
This is only your opinion. According to imdb, rottentomatoes or the empire magazin most people think that skull is the worst of the indy movies,

Jesus Christ, Sankara, get off it already. To say that you sound like a broken record would be insulting broken records. I wasn't talking about Skull in that post, nor did I mention Skull in that post. I only Commented on Doom. Seek Help.
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:33 AM   #34
sandiegojones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
Yes! Or what about "Jaws 4" *LOL*

That's the main problem of "Skull". This movie is not like an Indy-Movie...

@Indy's Brother
MOST PEOPLE do not spend all their time on the internet. MOST people don't go to rottentomatoes or imdb. Sure, a lot do, but you're discounting many filmgoers that are older who don't spend all day on the internet.

I happen to have a job where I'm in front of a computer all day so I can visit this site, but I know a lot of people with tough jobs who don't spend time on the computer who go to movies and liked KOTCS. Those people wont show up on some lame poll. By the way, there were plenty of other sites that did polls where people were positive about KOTCS. You don't state facts, just the info that supports your point of view.

Also, just because people say they think it's 4th of the Indy movies doesn't mean they didn't like it.
sandiegojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:27 PM   #35
James
IndyFan

RottenTomatoes is not an accurate measurement for how older films were received. It can only take into account the vintage reviews that have been archived online, while including reviews that have been written within the past decade. Sorry, but I don't think Cinemablend.com and eFilmcritic.com provide revealing snapshots of how a film was received in 1984.

And that's what we're really talking about here. If we're going to hold KOTCS up against the previous three, we can only do so by putting each of them in perspective.

So then the same holds true for IMDB rankings. Sure, they allow us to see how the films are perceived 20+ years later (at least by a certain demographic), but this is done using votes that were cast from the same modern perspective.

Let's not kid ourselves that either TOD or LC would receive the same nostalgic reaction if released today. Reactions for both were mixed upon their original releases, and today's overly-cynical environment would not prove any kinder.

If anything, all this suggests is that KOTCS will one day be regarded with a lot more nostalgia and fondness than we see today. As we discussed in a separate thread, these films will likely be judged as a complete work- rather than on their individual merits. I say this because it's the way nearly all classic franchises are regarded today. Critics will continue to place ROTLA on a higher pedestal than the rest, but it's unlikely they will make any great distinctions beyond that.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:15 PM   #36
WeAreGoingToDie
IndyFan

KOTS reminded me of a live-action Tintin at times, made me extreamly pumped for the upcoming CG Tintin trilogy.
WeAreGoingToDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:47 PM   #37
deckard24
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
RottenTomatoes is not an accurate measurement for how older films were received. It can only take into account the vintage reviews that have been archived online, while including reviews that have been written within the past decade. Sorry, but I don't think Cinemablend.com and eFilmcritic.com provide revealing snapshots of how a film was received in 1984.

And that's what we're really talking about here. If we're going to hold KOTCS up against the previous three, we can only do so by putting each of them in perspective.

So then the same holds true for IMDB rankings. Sure, they allow us to see how the films are perceived 20+ years later (at least by a certain demographic), but this is done using votes that were cast from the same modern perspective.

Let's not kid ourselves that either TOD or LC would receive the same nostalgic reaction if released today. Reactions for both were mixed upon their original releases, and today's overly-cynical environment would not prove any kinder.

If anything, all this suggests is that KOTCS will one day be regarded with a lot more nostalgia and fondness than we see today. As we discussed in a separate thread, these films will likely be judged as a complete work- rather than on their individual merits. I say this because it's the way nearly all classic franchises are regarded today. Critics will continue to place ROTLA on a higher pedestal than the rest, but it's unlikely they will make any great distinctions beyond that.
Good post!

I agree if TOD or LC were released today, they too would face harsh criticism, moreso TOD then LC in my opinion. LC's father/son dynamic with Ford and Connery is one of the absolute highlights of that film, and even though the Mutt/Indy relationship was handled well in KOTCS, it by no means is in the same league as Henry Sr. and Henry Jr.! As much as I love TOD, it is definitely the most flawed of the original series, and edges out KOTCS by a fair margin! Given time though KOTCS will just be another sequel in the series, seen similarly with Live Free or Die Hard and the Die Hard series.
deckard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:54 PM   #38
sandiegojones
IndyFan

TOD and LC would most certainly get equal criticism.

The reviews on rottentomatoes.com are very recent (from DVD's and websites). Half of the critics on RT are barely 30 years old and have lame sites - they aren't real critics. How many critics are on RT that were reviewing films 25-30 years ago? Roger Ebert, Rex Reed and...can't think of any more.

TOD was like 50/50 when it first came out and fans were harsh towards it. People just don't know history. Even now it's 84% on RT which isn't much higher than KOTCS.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:05 PM   #39
The Man
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegojones
TOD and LC would most certainly get equal criticism.

The reviews on rottentomatoes.com are very recent (from DVD's and websites). Half of the critics on RT are barely 30 years old and have lame sites - they aren't real critics. How many critics are on RT that were reviewing films 25-30 years ago? Roger Ebert, Rex Reed and...can't think of any more.

TOD was like 50/50 when it first came out and fans were harsh towards it. People just don't know history. Even now it's 84% on RT which isn't much higher than KOTCS.

Well, to be fair, the RT fan rating has Temple at 92% with Skull at 65%. Only the coming years will tell if that gap will close or change significantly at all...
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:09 PM   #40
James
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
Only the coming years will tell if that gap will close or change significantly at all...

And if the previous films are any indication, nostalgia will certainly become a factor at some point.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:10 PM   #41
The Man
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
And if the previous films are any indication, nostalgia will certainly become a factor at some point.

Oh, it probably will...
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:25 PM   #42
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegojones
TOD was like 50/50 when it first came out and fans were harsh towards it.

This is very true. I don't know if it's that much of a stretch to say that Temple of Doom was critically lambasted when it first came out. You have to find the reviews that were written in 1984, not the reviews by fans twenty years later online that you'll find on Rotten Tomatoes. Go to the library and find the newspaper reviews. Ebert's four star review (a review I really love) was definitely more of an exception than a rule, though I know Pauline Kael liked it a lot too. (But, she's also Pauline Kaul. She didn't like Raiders.)
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:53 PM   #43
sandiegojones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
Well, to be fair, the RT fan rating has Temple at 92% with Skull at 65%. Only the coming years will tell if that gap will close or change significantly at all...
Sure, but nostalgia plays into it. Like I stated before, I know people who hated TOD and then like to pretend they loved once KOTCS came out.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:07 PM   #44
Ajax the Great
IndyFan

Wow...tough question. KotCS definitely follows a vein of its own, so it's impossible to group it with another film. Plus, I'm not sure if it was supposed to be grouped with the others, since it is based off of 50s B movies, not 30s Republic serials.

But, I did vote for LC because of the innumerable father-son parallels drawn between Indy and Mutt's relationship and Indy and his father's relationship. For instance, the motorcycle chase, which ends with Indy scowling at Mutt reminds me so much of Henry Sr.'s face throughout the LC motorcycle chase - utter disgust and contempt.
Ajax the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:22 PM   #45
weaponx24
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBComics
1st half: Raiders
2nd half: Crusade

Still great though.

I concur! Definitely Raider-esque in the first half, then transitions to a more Last Crusade style of film...
weaponx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:07 PM   #46
Shortie
IndyFan

Doom because it had a very different Macguffin than Raiders & Crusade (biblical artifacts).
Shortie is offline   Reply With Quote