indiana jones animated fanfilm why not??

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
tempus31

I've need done any animation before either, only know certain principles. I got involved because I'd like to see an Indy cartoon. It's a been a good learning curve.

It should be never, not need.

Indy's brother

JuniorJones said:
Have we a definative scene listing?
Working on it right now, but as of tonight--not quite. I can tell you this much, New Orleans is in, Indy in the Gray fedora get-up for that, the shop is an amalgamation of the original list of suggestions: "Madame Magnolia's". Also, aerosleds, 3X bottle gag, china rooftops, wing walking, pit rappel & truck fight, and the riverboat/eels. these are all definitely in. I'm still rearranging this puzzle to get it all in. DEAD mummy, too.

On the mummy. Punching or kicking a dead mummy is not really something Indy would do. Even in a fit of panic, that's not how he panics. I think the Indy thing to do would be to have Shorty jump, and Indy maybe gives it a quick turn of the head, then grabs Shorty with one hand and continues on to the next thing. The three heads thing still works, it's a great sight gag! Ugh, spent too much time on it tonight 2:20 am, g'nite.

tempus31

Hi all
I don't know if any of you are aware, but a team called cosgrove hall animated some missing doctor who episodes for the dvd release of 'the invasion'.
here's a link to check out their trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6W2o3CW0as

some of the backgrounds are actual photos and the animation sits very well with them included. they have also done whole stories with complete animation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMO9C8ANu1E

I thought these links might be of some use for the animators and maybe give you some ideas on style, movement etc?
I quickly scanned this thread and wondered has anyone made a character sheet of indy in various poses, expressions etc etc?

I think it would be a good idea to get indy down 'on paper' so we can see the style and ideas of whats to come?

Damien

indyjones2131

IndysBrother:

1.) Could you tell me more about the 3X bottle gag and the truck fight?

2.) How did we decide Indy would defeat the goon on the riverboat? Will Indy use his head in this scene or the oar?

3.) I didn't see the Carpathian Mountain trap scene listed. Are we still going with this?

4.) If we need more scenes let me know.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
tempus31 said:
Hi all
I don't know if any of you are aware, but a team called cosgrove hall animated some missing doctor who episodes for the dvd release of 'the invasion'.
here's a link to check out their trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6W2o3CW0as

some of the backgrounds are actual photos and the animation sits very well with them included. they have also done whole stories with complete animation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMO9C8ANu1E

I thought these links might be of some use for the animators and maybe give you some ideas on style, movement etc?
I quickly scanned this thread and wondered has anyone made a character sheet of indy in various poses, expressions etc etc?

I think it would be a good idea to get indy down 'on paper' so we can see the style and ideas of whats to come?

Damien

Great Links, Cosgrove Hall - not heard from them in a while.

Most of the animation in the first link is standard flash animation techniques done well- limited movement, syncing mouths,repeatition, zoom and panning of layers - very much like the filmation but playing to the limitations strenghts.

I'm hoping that we can bring a bit more movement into the characters and have dynamic sweeping camera movements (no, really!!)

I've done a series of tests that are designed to show the writers, creative people what can be achieved but any help or suggestions is more than welcome.

It's been agreed that we work to Stoo's style and he is working towards producing style templates for the animation.

Indy's brother

indyjones2131 said:
IndysBrother:

1.) Could you tell me more about the 3X bottle gag and the truck fight?

2.) How did we decide Indy would defeat the goon on the riverboat? Will Indy use his head in this scene or the oar?

3.) I didn't see the Carpathian Mountain trap scene listed. Are we still going with this?

4.) If we need more scenes let me know.

1) Bottle gag.

Truck fight.

2) I know you're really going to bat for the latch thing, but don't get too broken up over it if it doesn't make it. Indy's prone to getting out of things by picking up a random object to strike the deciding blow in a pinch: ROTLA raven bar, bottle of whiskey over the head. TOD mine tunnel, two empty buckets. KOTCS cemetary fight, shovel. Ant fight, a small log. It's not out of character for him. If we had only one other scene in this thing, I would say yes for sure, though. As I have previously said, I like it and would love to do it, but if it's inclusion (extra shots to make it work) makes the scene too long, it can't be there. No definite answer for you on it yet anyway.

3) The rolling pins of death trap, it's still jockeying for position. It's not out, but it's not in yet, either. As I mentioned in my last post, I do not have a full scene list yet.

I'm currently listening to MJ's score for the millionth time and placing scenes, trying to get everything in, keep the pace correct, and have it all loosely sync with the music. Once I have that done, I'll have your answers. I'll post the outline for any last minute tweaks per Stoo then write a proper treatment.

4) If I end up with any spots for more things, I'll yell for help.:hat:

muttjones

Indy's brother said:
I'm currently listening to MJ's score for the millionth time and placing scenes, trying to get everything in, keep the pace correct, and have it all loosely sync with the music. Once I have that done, I'll have your answers. I'll post the outline for any last minute tweaks per Stoo then write a proper treatment.

As promised as soon as i get home from school friday i'll get to work on the proper edit of the score. it will be no longer or shorter just the cuts will be smoother :D

Indy's brother said:

Have you put in any awe shots? A quick pan up shot of Indy looking over a cliff into a chasm filled with the remnants of an ancient city could be cool.

Indy's brother

That's awesome news MJ, thanks in advance! Also, I have the complete outline to go with your score, just finished it. (My God, what a F**king Headache) I will post it tomorrow when I get time. Speaking of time, every scene is marked for duration and placement per my edit of your score, so I'm glad it will maintain the same exact length (ya know, to avoid any confusion in the future). It was a tight squeeze, btw.

IJ2131, the entire riverboat/eel scene is 10 seconds, which is the longest one in this. If we can't get your latch bit in it, it just wasn't meant to be. Also, yes, I did find a spot for your death trap.

Again, up till 2:45am, so no more until tomorrow.

Last edited:

HJJNR

muttjones said:
As promised as soon as i get home from school friday i'll get to work on the proper edit of the score. it will be no longer or shorter just the cuts will be smoother :D

Have you put in any awe shots? A quick pan up shot of Indy looking over a cliff into a chasm filled with the remnants of an ancient city could be cool.

That would be cool, if anyone wants me to do that backdrop I'll do it. Give me specifics...;)

muttjones

HJJNR said:
That would be cool, if anyone wants me to do that backdrop I'll do it. Give me specifics...;)

I would love to see it. :D

hmm... specifics. Well the cliff indy stands on would be a foreground shot so just worry about the city. How about aztec style with overgrown things everywhere. Think to the end of KOTCS when the UFO flies away and the water fills up the chasm it was in as similar to what i'm thinking of.

Also your style is quite paint like but I wonder if you would be able to give it a more cartoon look with harsher edges. Here's the title card by Stoo for comparison:
TitleCard_Idea_02b.jpg

indyjones2131

Indy's brother said:
1) Bottle gag.

Truck fight.

2) I know you're really going to bat for the latch thing, but don't get too broken up over it if it doesn't make it. Indy's prone to getting out of things by picking up a random object to strike the deciding blow in a pinch: ROTLA raven bar, bottle of whiskey over the head. TOD mine tunnel, two empty buckets. KOTCS cemetary fight, shovel. Ant fight, a small log. It's not out of character for him. If we had only one other scene in this thing, I would say yes for sure, though. As I have previously said, I like it and would love to do it, but if it's inclusion (extra shots to make it work) makes the scene too long, it can't be there. No definite answer for you on it yet anyway.

3) The rolling pins of death trap, it's still jockeying for position. It's not out, but it's not in yet, either. As I mentioned in my last post, I do not have a full scene list yet.

Yeah well the latch was just one way to show Indy is more than just a brawler. I think we need SOME shot of him using clever means to get out of a situation.

Glad to hear the death trap is in. I mean it's Indy - we need a trap or two.

I like the bottle gag, though I wonder if we have time to really have the pacing right for a good setup/payoff. Also, we need a good classic Indy "Aw damn" facial expression when the bottle shatters uselessly.

As for the truck thing, it plays a bit too close to Raiders and LC for my taste. Which would be fine if there was an ultimate payoff or twist to it. What is the purpose of this shot?

Indy's brother

indyjones2131 said:
I like the bottle gag, though I wonder if we have time to really have the pacing right for a good setup/payoff. Also, we need a good classic Indy "Aw damn" facial expression when the bottle shatters uselessly.

As for the truck thing, it plays a bit too close to Raiders and LC for my taste. Which would be fine if there was an ultimate payoff or twist to it. What is the purpose of this shot?

As far as facial expressions go, that's the animators department. And for the truck thing, the payoff is him getting away, and going for the hat grab. A moving truck also affords the opportunity to use the map overlay. I don't think that every scene has to have Indy in some super intricately designed scenario, that's what the actual animated series would be for. These clips are a few short seconds in length, you know. Remember, the feel is the "Johnny Quest" intro. I'm not against it if someone has a really great idea to flesh it out a little, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it just yet. Remember the comment earlier in this thread about "having to tune in" to find out more?

Stoo

Indy's brother said:
Here's a listen (note: this can only be downloaded 10 times, apparently, so please--only project members) at some sound effects with my intro and muttjones' score. There are four musical prompts after the plane crash effect before the familiar theme kicks in. The first prompt is right at the crash...we'll let Stoo and Junior animate flames and debris for that 1& 1/2 seconds.
First off, I have to say how much I'm loving this! The addition of the sound effects is extremely cool and help bring this project one step closer to reality. However, I don't think we should see/hear the plane crash and was imagining it barely shaving the top of the "camera" just as the engine fills up the frame. Not knowing what happens to Ska's plane-in-peril creates a cliffhanger! Yes? No? (Idea: Make the plane's markings read OB-SKA)!:D

Nice find on the raven's caw!(y) Very cool to hear and perfect for the mock-ups but, ultimately, the sound effects should be isolated on their own as seperate tracks for editing purposes and not fixed to the soundtrack itself. Wiggle room will be required. (Also, if there could be a pause of silence between the opening trumpet notes and the rest of the music that would be perfect. I really think there should be a few seconds of just the plane's engine before the soundtrack continues as this is the only scene where the animation will dictate the timing of the music. It's our big, opening shot and, IMO, shouldn't feel rushed. The gap can always be shortened/lengthened later accordingly.)

Indy's brother said:
I know it's not much, really, but it will let you all know I haven't bailed on this project. I remain dedicated to this, but I'm a little more concerned with keeping the lights on and the family fed. F***ing stressful to say the least.
You and me both. I've been in computer hell the past 2 weeks.

HJJNR said:

Now thats MUCH better eh boss.
O.K. I know I said "smaller" but not THAT small! Thumbnail links are a good idea, though. I think I can speak for everybody by saying that your contributions are most welcome, HJ.(y)

JuniorJones said:
Anymore progress on the style sheets. As I feel I've learnt most of what can be achieved with the animation programme I'm using. It seems a bit pointless doing animations without them. Just doubling the work.
They're coming along but not as fast as I'd like. Same as Indy's bro', it's been a very stressful time for me lately. I'm experiencing a number of technical difficulties with my new system and cannot access all the photo references I had collected into 1 file.:mad: I have tons of books as reference but the style guides are temporarily on the back burner. Sorry!:(

JuniorJones said:
Unfortunatley, I didn't expect the wrath of Stoo but then again a healthy crack of a whip doesn't hurt anyone.:D
:eek:To quote Bill Bixby as "David" Banner..."Mr. McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.":p :whip: (JOKE!)

Indy's Brother said:
Indy's prone to getting out of things by picking up a random object to strike the deciding blow in a pinch: ROTLA raven bar, bottle of whiskey over the head. TOD mine tunnel, two empty buckets. KOTCS cemetary fight, shovel. Ant fight, a small log. It's not out of character for him.
You and indyjones2131/Lafitte Jr. were discussing this earlier and I just wanted to add that sometimes Indy survives a situation by sheer luck/chance/coincidence/fluke. Food for thought...:)

Indy's Brother said:
3) The rolling pins of death trap, it's still jockeying for position. It's not out, but it's not in yet, either.
I hope it's in because I've been preparing sketches for Ska!:eek:

Indy's Brother said:
Again, up till 2:45am, so no more until tomorrow.
Your tomorrow is muttjones' yesterday. (Not really...but it sounds nice.:D)

indyjones2131 said:
It's a segue between Indy's flashlight and the truck's headlight. To get away from "Raiders", we could use his turquoise, '49 GMC pickup from "Mystery of the Blues".:D

muttjones to HJJNR said:
Also your style is quite paint like but I wonder if you would be able to give it a more cartoon look with harsher edges.
I was going to the same thing but didn't want to come across as too nit-picky. Your images are great, HJJNR, but if you could go a bit more cartoony they would be perfect. JuniorJones & I are aiming for a Filmation aesthetic, so, PREFERABLY, some black line work in & around objects will help achieve that look. Some deep, background objects should be rendered as washes of one solid, colour. I only ask this because, I'll be doing some backgrounds, too, and wish to maintain some consistency. I can do your style (you're using a WACOM tablet, yes?) but the desire is to have this thing look like it was made in 1982 (At least, I think so...). If you don't have the time/whatnot, don't worry about it. Your stuff looks decent and that's the important thing.;)

Also, HJ, keep in mind that, for scrolling/panning/zooming purposes, certain shots will require foreground/background elements on layers seperate from the main plate.

Personally, I'm using the mid-to-late '70s Tarzan series as jungle inspiration. If you're not familiar with it, have a look. The colour in the opening credits is dull on this video but the rest is better. Not the best episode but I chose it because it had a Ravemnount-type of mountain at the beginning. Watch any of the available Tarzan videos on YouTube to get an idea. There are loads of 'em...

Tarzan and the Spider People 1 of 3

Indy's brother

The Script Outline

This is divided up in seconds, using the most recent score posted (Muttjones' mix with my intro). Of course the scene durations have been loosely rounded to the nearest whole second. The red times will include the map line overlay. I've never numbered scenes before, but for the sake of ease, and the type of script this is going to be, it might just be easier for all parties to refer to the scenes this way.

1. 0-8 Intro, Ravenmount bird, mountain, & plane up to and including the crash
2. 8-13 Whip grip, Pistol pull, Indy's eye (utilizing the obvious musical cues)
3. 13-17 Pan around to Indy's smirking face as he twists a stone key in front of him
4. 17-20 Indy Spins around to see a door open, then a gun is put to his back and his hands raise slowly.
5. 20-24 Bottle gag part one
6. 24-28 New orleans, Madame Magnolia's
7. 28-31 Tight shot Indy's eyes, pull back to see he is riding horseback, and being pursued by Aerosleds!
8. 28-35 Over-the-shoulder shot of Russian soldier on an aerosled, trains his gun on Indys back, POV rifle sights on Indy.
9. 35-40 Wing walking, Indy yanks a woman from the back of another bi-plane. Map line goes from Russia to China.
10. 40-45 Chinese rooftop chase
11. 45-47 Bottle gag part two
12. 47-54 Carpathian deathtrap
13. 54-104 Riverboat fight/eels. Map line follows the Amazon river.
14. 104-107 Third and final Bottle gag, hits go with the musical cues.
15. 107-112 Mummy bit, heads pop out to musical cues.
16. 112-120 Rappel, flashlight, truck fight. Map line is up for grabs as far as location.
17. 120-127 End with title card.

A few notes on this:

Yes, I know these scenes have been discussed with more detail in previous posts, but this is purely for the sake of an outline. So don't get all bent out of shape if details are sparse, it's supposed to look that way. These are only scene descriptions

Scenes 5 & 6 work better with the music if they are switched, but (for now anyway) I placed them in that order because the 3 bottle scenes are exactly 20 seconds apart from each other this way. I could be very easily swayed to change that.

The map line could actually begin during the 31-35 portion of the Aerosleds, and continue on through the wing-walking. I just left it as listed above, in case that's too long to show the map onscreen. On the plus side of a longer appearance of the map, the line can change courses at the 35 second mark, which could be kind of slick.

The second bottle bit is really crunched in there tightly (scene 11), and may have to be extended into the deathtrap for the sake of flowing with the score. Junior Jones, what do you think? Could it be done in two seconds? (y) (n) :confused:

There are numerous opportunities for me to write in more musical cues, but I will await the official word from Stoo on this arrangement before getting heavily into that sort of thing. I just wanted to point out these obvious choices.

Indy's brother

Stoo said:
First off, I have to say how much I'm loving this! The addition of the sound effects is extremely cool and help bring this project one step closer to reality. However, I don't think we should see/hear the plane crash and was imagining it barely shaving the top of the "camera" just as the engine fills up the frame. Not knowing what happens to Ska's plane-in-peril creates a cliffhanger! Yes? No? (Idea: Make the plane's markings read OB-SKA)!:D

Nice find on the raven's caw!(y) Very cool to hear and perfect for the mock-ups but, ultimately, the sound effects should be isolated on their own as seperate tracks for editing purposes and not fixed to the soundtrack itself. Wiggle room will be required. (Also, if there could be a pause of silence between the opening trumpet notes and the rest of the music that would be perfect. I really think there should be a few seconds of just the plane's engine before the soundtrack continues as this is the only scene where the animation will dictate the timing of the music. It's our big, opening shot and, IMO, shouldn't feel rushed. The gap can always be shortened/lengthened later accordingly.)

Thanks, Stoo, I had fun putting it together. Personally, I like the crash. Not that particular sound effect, but the idea. It also affords me a way to skip past the first 2-3 seconds of MJ's mix before showing anything. There's four musical prompts, but I only need three of them. But if I lop one off in an edit, it would sound weird (I believe it's 4:4 timing), so something has to go there. (argh) It does occur to me, however, that we don't have an opening title card. Should we put one in that spot? that makes my problem disappear. I just re-read that, am I making sense? In any case, I'm sure there's a way to write around it if you just can't have it crash. I just wanted to put my vote in for destruction!!!

The sound samples I have actually are on separate tracks, and can be moved, removed, &reused indefinitely. Once MJ posts his smooth edit, I can tool around with my intro. I wanted to anyway, so no problem there. If it's a matter of the samples just not being that good, well, I can live with that too. I just downloaded them for free at soundsnap.com (and yes we are legally able to use them to our hearts content!). It's a really great resource.

Indy's brother

Stoo said:
(Idea: Make the plane's markings read OB-SKA)!

Something like that would be awesome, it's got my vote!

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to put it in there, but at 1:15 in scene 16 is the cue for the flashlight wipe!

Edit: Since it may not be obvious to someone who hasn't been obsessing, the heads pop out in scene 15 @ 1:09 (Indy), 1:10 (Shorty), 1:11 (mummy).

(Stoo and JJ: numbering the scenes, (y) or (n) )

Last edited:

muttjones

Love it all Indy's brother but I seeing know tomb raiding. It is all just action and none of the other side of Indy. Maybe its just me but there needs to be a bit of that and some girl kissing.