Indy V: With SPF SLB and HF

Who do you want to see in Indy V? (Multiple Choice)

• Total voters

Insomniac

This headline got me thinking...

"http://www.theraider.net/news/fullstory_miscellaneous.php?id=1139"

They all look very similar!
Wouldn't it be a awesome to see all three of these guys in an Indy film together. Like The Last Crusade intro only SPF would play a pre-Raiders Indy or something.

B72653.jpg

SPF-DZ.jpg

Conversation_l.jpg

sean.jpg

HF Vs.SPF

shia-labeouf.jpg

sean_patrick_flanery2.jpg

293labeoufgqmag051208xlarger3.jpg

SeanPatrickFlanery4.jpg

Shia Vs.SPF

deckard24

While doing something along the lines of the opening of LC sounds interesting, I'm not convinced of the resemblance between Patrick Flanery and Labeouf with Ford. Phoenix was by far the best young Indy we've had, and minus the haircut, the closest to resembling Ford either as a younger version or son.

Labeouf is in now, whether I like it or not, so he's not really a question anymore. And I don't know if you've seen SPF lately, but the guy has had some serious face work done, and he's not exactly looking like Young Indy anymore (not that he really ever did in the first place).

The best idea I can come up with for a younger Indy, somewhere in his late 20's early 30's, is Jensen Ackles from Supernatural. The resemblance isn't terrific, but with the fedora on I think he could pull it off. Plus the guy can really handle both action and comedy well.

Ford is just too damn tough to replicate!;)

tocksic

I like Young Indy and I like SPF - but imho he should stay were he is Indiana-Jones-wise: In the young Indy series. I don't see him enrich an Indy-Movie. It would feel so pushed. And now SPF would play an adult Indy - which mens he had to kinda imitate Ford. That might was fine with River Phoenix, but not with another adult actor. Too cheesy.

Insomniac

deckard24 said:
While doing something along the lines of the opening of LC sounds interesting, I'm not convinced of the resemblance between Patrick Flanery and Labeouf with Ford. Phoenix was by far the best young Indy we've had, and minus the haircut, the closest to resembling Ford either as a younger version or son.

Labeouf is in now, whether I like it or not, so he's not really a question anymore. And I don't know if you've seen SPF lately, but the guy has had some serious face work done, and he's not exactly looking like Young Indy anymore (not that he really ever did in the first place).

The best idea I can come up with for a younger Indy, somewhere in his late 20's early 30's, is Jensen Ackles from Supernatural. The resemblance isn't terrific, but with the fedora on I think he could pull it off. Plus the guy can really handle both action and comedy well.

Ford is just too damn tough to replicate!;)

75969704.jpg

Ya something happened I's say bad botox but I think he could still pull it off!
:rolleyes:
Hell he is a great actor and I'm sure he hasn't change in any other way!

tocksic said:
And now SPF would play an adult Indy - which mens he had to kinda imitate Ford. That might was fine with River Phoenix, but not with another adult actor. Too cheesy.
I don't think anything Spielberg touches is "CHEESY" and I think if Spielberg tries it he will pull it off!

vf wing

SPF looks even more like Ford in the more recent pic, but I can't imagine a reason for him to appear alongside Harry in one of the films. Maybe if there is an essential flashback, but that still wouldn't put them onscreen together necessarily!

Personally I would love the idea of a prologue set years before the main adventure...

Some years ago, while "Kingdom" was still high in the making, someone put a poll on the official Indiana Jones site, which asked something like "Do you think Indy has ever took part in the Korean War?"

Well, I don't sincerely have a clue to why that very poll was ever conceived, but I remember that it got me very excited, because I started thinking that it could have been an hint to the general storyline of the new film... and I started to imagine that the opening of the film could have been set many years before, during the WWII.
And then we could have had a darker film, with strong references to war and battles of the last century, gritty atmoshpere and the possibility of examining the concept of war itself, as it's seen from two radically different points of view - the western and eastern mentality, respectively WWII and the Korean War.

Anyway, the idea still intrigues me A LOT... but I have to say that, if they're ever gonna go with something along those lines, I REALLY hope they use digital imagery techniques to directly rejuvenate Harrison Ford and make HIM look younger. It's a cool trick that has been done in a lot of films already (think of "X-Men 3" and, more recently, "Benjamin Button") and it works perfectly. VERY REALISTIC, it doesn't look fake at all.

Sean Patrick Flanery may be a nice, good actor, but let's face it, he doesn't look like Harrison Ford AT ALL. Plus, he now has almost the same age that Ford had when he filmed "Raiders". Maybe he's even older. To me it would be a mess if they decided to give him a part as Indy. Even just a small one. Big mistake.

Stoo

deckard24 said:
As much as it pains me to say this, Shia Labeouf looks more like a teen Ford than either Phoenix or Flanery!:eek:

FordLabeouf.jpg

It would be neat to see SPF in a small role and not as Indy. (I could have sworn that was him as the prisoner in the asylum in "Skull" but it's not.)

Lance Quazar

Stoo said:
It would be neat to see SPF in a small role and not as Indy. (I could have sworn that was him as the prisoner in the asylum in "Skull" but it's not.)

Wow!!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one!!! That shot of that prisoner in the trailer looks EXACTLY like Flannery!!! I was convinced - up until I saw the film - that SPF had a cameo. Or that it might have even been a flashback.

I think it was nice that the series got a shout-out in KOTCS for the super fans. But I think SPF has no future with the franchise. Unless it's, as you said, a cameo as a different character. But that might be weird.

sandiegojones

Stoo said:
As much as it pains me to say this, Shia Labeouf looks more like a teen Ford than either Phoenix or Flanery!:eek:

FordLabeouf.jpg

I've always thought Shia resembled HF! The big nose thing and some of the expressions are similar.

Stoo

Lance Quazar said:
Wow!!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one!!! That shot of that prisoner in the trailer looks EXACTLY like Flannery!!! I was convinced - up until I saw the film - that SPF had a cameo. Or that it might have even been a flashback.

I think it was nice that the series got a shout-out in KOTCS for the super fans. But I think SPF has no future with the franchise. Unless it's, as you said, a cameo as a different character. But that might be weird.
No, you're not alone, Lance. Some other people mentioned it around the time of trailer, too. Not only is the prisoner/inmate guy a double-ringer for Flanery (1 "n", folks:p) but he SOUNDS like him, too! (BTW, what the heck is he saying? Any Spanish speaking people know?:confused:)

I'm not really one for "wish" threads but a small role for him in Indy V would be cool if he were to be unrecognizable (in a Monkey Man character-type-of-way).

sandiegojones said:
I've always thought Shia resembled HF! The big nose thing and some of the expressions are similar.
I wasn't familiar with Shia before (I realize now that I'd seen him in "Holes" and didn't know it was the same person) but did notice some similarities between them in "Skull". He was easily believable as Indy's son.

Oh, and I voted for Harrison, SPF and Other to return. (I thought Shia did a fine job as Mutt but don't really care to see more of that character.)

Hanselation

Preparing the future

sandiegojones said:

So I think, we will see Shia as Young Indy in Indy 5 in an flashback, maybe like River Phoenix in LC.
That would make a free decision for the main story with HF as Indy.
And then maybe Shia will come back as Indy in Indy 6. ;)

deckard24

Stoo said:

FordLabeouf.jpg

As a teen version of Ford I can kinda see it, especially in that pic you posted. But I still think Labeouf looks more like a young John Cusack then Ford.

I agree he looks way more like Ford then Flanery, but I still think Phoenix edges him out. I doubted the Phoenix resemblance for a long time until seeing The Mosquito Coast, but in that movie Phoenix looks like he could really be his kid. As he got older he looked less and less like Ford, specifically in the nose, where Labeouf has more of a similarity.

Originally Posted by Hanselation
So I think, we will see Shia as Young Indy in Indy 5 in an flashback, maybe like River Phoenix in LC.
That would make a free decision for the main story with HF as Indy.
And then maybe Shia will come back as Indy in Indy 6.
Why would they have Shia play Indy in V in a prologue, and then have him come back as Indy in 6, when he's already been established as the son of Indy and Marion?:confused:

Crack that whip

Stoo said:
Oh, and I voted for Harrison, SPF and Other to return.

Pfft, "Other" is totally overrated. Every freaking movie and episode in the series so far has had more than one or two characters. Obviously it's high time they did something new and had a movie with only one person in it.
:p

Stoo said:
(I thought Shia did a fine job as Mutt but don't really care to see more of that character.)

I think Shia does a great job indeed as Mutt, and I'll go further and say I'd like to see more of him - particularly because I think the character will have changed quite a bit between movies. Obviously I'm not privy to the inner workings of the Lucasfilm empire, but I suspect that if Mutt shows up at all, with the new movie (presumably) being set at least a couple years after the last one, they'd have advanced the character to show more of his father's influence. Perhaps / probably he'd have gone back to school, and would become more outwardly scholarly (developing those characteristics we already know he has to some extent), and less of a greaser (since realistically, how many years would he be one?). I think the character progression alone would make him worth seeing again (whether or not he's actually "on" the movie's main adventure, and of course fully aware Indy's the character we see the movie for, not his kid or any other supporting character).

Getting back to Sean Patrick Flanery... I do think it'd be great to see him again, and of course there's certainly plenty of precedent for an actor to play multiple characters in this universe. The idea of one of the actors who play Indy being one of them might indeed be a little odd, but perhaps we wouldn't have too much trouble adjusting...

Insomniac

Crack that whip said:
Getting back to Sean Patrick Flanery... I do think it'd be great to see him again, and of course there's certainly plenty of precedent for an actor to play multiple characters in this universe. The idea of one of the actors who play Indy being one of them might indeed be a little odd, but perhaps we wouldn't have too much trouble adjusting...

I think you're the only current Poll taker with the same opinion as me!
I think we're the only ones who wouldn't have problem adjusting!

BTW I don't think Mutt should be too "geeky" just because he meats an amazing role model that turns out to be his dad won't make him all of a sudden Indy's perspective and beliefs.
I think he should still be somewhat of a Rebel!

tocksic

Like I said before, I dont think it would be a good idea to let SPF play an adult Indy, but experimenting with the following was kinda fun. :p

spfv.jpg

AnnieJones

Insomniac said:
This headline got me thinking...

"http://www.theraider.net/news/fullstory_miscellaneous.php?id=1139"

They all look very similar!
Wouldn't it be a awesome to see all three of these guys in an Indy film together. Like The Last Crusade intro only SPF would play a pre-Raiders Indy or something.

B72653.jpg

SPF-DZ.jpg

Conversation_l.jpg

sean.jpg

HF Vs.SPF

shia-labeouf.jpg

sean_patrick_flanery2.jpg

293labeoufgqmag051208xlarger3.jpg

SeanPatrickFlanery4.jpg

Shia Vs.SPF
Wow,that's creepy.They do look similar.

Stoo said:

FordLabeouf.jpg
Again,I say creepy.

On the Passing of the Torch thread( http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=19547 ),I remember saying this:

I think from this side view they look more alike.Same shape of nose and similar profiles.Another thing they have in common is that they are also part Jewish on both of their mother's side of the family.
shiaharrison.jpg

Last edited: