Is it better than temple of doom?

Weiland

What I want to know is how many people who have seen KOTCS think it is better than TOD (which most consider the worst of the trilogy)? :cool:

I watched Temple last night and though it is my least favorite, KOTCS has much to live up to if it wants to beat Doom. Mola Ram is the best Indy villain and the last half of the film is spectacular. The first half is just a slapstick comedy.

oki9Sedo

Looking at the films individually, Temple of Doom is the weakest, I think. In context however, I think Temple of Doom is better than Last Crusade. Either way though, its still a very good movie.

Crystal Skull has a lot to do to beat it.

Perhilion

Sankara said:
Better than "Temple"??? *LOL* NO! It is not! "Indy 4" is nothing against "Temple"...
So Sankara has spoken, so it shall be! Oh mighty Sankara! We are not worthy!

Agent Spalko said:
I watched Temple last night and though it is my least favorite, KOTCS has much to live up to if it wants to beat Doom. Mola Ram is the best Indy villain and the last half of the film is spectacular. The first half is just a slapstick comedy.

Yeah, that's 50% less slapstick than Crusade, then!

eroc

Kernunnos said:
I'd be willing to bet a mortage that KOTCS is better than TOD or LC.

I agree. The story, action, and characters, all looks better in KTCS. Plus it has Marion. TOD and LC can fight it out for the title of the worst Indy movie, in my opinion.

davejames

Agent Spalko said:
Crusade was trying to be funny from the get-go. Doom couldn't make up its mind what it wanted to be.

I thought Doom was a perfect pulp adventure myself. Yeah the movies goes through a wide range of tones, but Spielberg maneuvers between them so effortlessly I never really notice.

I mean, just in the opening sequence we've got a tragic murder of Indy's long time friend and a man getting viciously impaled with a flaming skewer... then a few seconds later a bunch of really funny slapstick with people sliding across the floor and fighting among balloons to some bouncy music. There's no way that should work, yet somehow Spielberg pulls it off.

davejames said:
I thought Doom was a perfect pulp adventure myself. Yeah the movies goes through a wide range of tones, but Spielberg maneuvers between them so effortlessly I never really notice.

I mean, just in the opening sequence we've got a tragic murder of Indy's long time friend and a man getting viciously impaled with a flaming skewer... then a few seconds later a bunch of really funny slapstick with people sliding across the floor and fighting among balloons to some bouncy music. There's no way that should work, yet somehow Spielberg pulls it off.

"I go first Indy..."

That line always cracks me up but it's so over-the-top camp that I can't take the first half of the film seriously at all. If the film had taken itself more seriously like Raiders it would have been a masterpiece.

T

tp2005

I'm going into KOTCS expecting it to be better than atleast Temple of Doom.

I would be going into it expecting it to be better than Crusade but I think thats a stretch.

Besides, it's not uncommon for me to go into an acclaimed movie with high expectations and leaving dissapointed because I over hyped it.

It's actually a real bad habit of mine.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
ToD is my least favourite... I'll find out in 24 hours if I think if it's on par with ToD. Actually it will be interesting to see how my review goes down with the rest of The Raven... If anything though, at least this is my first Indy movie where I get it see it on the big screen. I have never had the pleasure of that. I'm hoping that it will be on par with Episode III level, I would be happy with that, as I actually like that film. I'm just expecting a good adventure yarn with Marion in sight. :whip:

Euwhipides

Temple of Doom was so good ... yeah, it had some slap sticky stuff, but if it hadn't, it would have been so dark it would have almost been rendered unwatchable.

I think the main reason people have a problem with TOD is that about halfway through it turned into a horror movie, though it did have the best action packed final thirty or forty minutes of any action movie, ever.

TLC veered more toward straight out comedy, it was almost Indy-lite. Not to mention the stunt where Indy's bag somehow manages to magically get caught on the tank cannon (even though it's been blown apart and the bag was UNDER his jacket), and then magically gets untangled again. Then again, Sean Connery was so brilliant you have to almost forgive it ...

:whip:

SPECTER

We need to stop saying Worst, none of the films where even bad they where all great but with Raiders on top TOD is lower than it. NOT bad just not as good or better than Raiders. Each movie to me has its ups and downs(in TOD after theplane crash/raft scene its slow for a LONG time and LC is slow til the Library scene) but overall these movies are better than 90-95% of other movies out there.
I cant choose between LC or TOD to be on bottom they both have there "stuff" that makes it better than the other we will see with KOTCS.

Also dont Hype or care what other people think(this gets me) with Spiderman3
I was hyped sooo high and thought it was better than 2 tied with 1 but with all the bashing of it, somehow made me like it less each time i heard the bashing.

No Ticket

SPECTER said:
We need to stop saying Worst, none of the films where even bad they where all great but with Raiders on top TOD is on bottom. NOT bad just not as good or better than Raiders. Each movie to me has its ups and downs(in TOD after theplane crash/raft scene its slow for a LONG time and LC is slow til the Library scene) but overall these movies are better than 90-95% of other movies out there.
I cant choose between LC or TOD to be on bottom they both have there "stuff" that makes it better than the other we will see with KOTCS.

Also dont Hype or care what other people think(this gets me) with Spiderman3
I was hyped sooo high and thought it was better than 2 tied with 1 but with all the bashing of it, somehow made me like it less each time i heard the bashing.

It's true. None of the films are bad, IMO. I think they are all like different flavors of Popsicles. Yeah! Sure, orange tastes different than Red... but they're both delicious. I'm willing to bet if KOTCS is from the same popsicle package as the other flavors, it should be just as good. Even though that package would be like 20 years old.

Uhhh... yeah!