Clive Cussler

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Cussler sucks!

Just kidding.:D

I have nearly everyone of his books and am actively searching for first editions of his older ones.

westford

Me and my boyfriend wiped out our local market's supply of Cussler novels a few weeks ago. I've read Sahara, Atlantis Found, Flood Tide, Mayday, and Raise the Titanic. Currently reading Shock Wave, and have got Pacific Vortex, Valhalla Rising and Night Probe still to read.

roundshort

Clive spent and has a house in my old home town, he is a pretty nice guy, really enjoyed talking to him when I had the chance. He wrote a story about the underground tunnels where I used to live. Glad you enjoy his work

|ZiR|

I've never read Cussler myself, but you all who have might find this thread over at the Something Awful forums interesting.

Huh. Is that a fair description of his work?

VVVV Wow. Okay then. Guess I missed that bullet. VVVV

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
Gotta agree with the quack. Yet, Cussler's one of my guilty pleasures. I confess, I've read all of the man's books, and I'm quite aware of their qualities. They're repetitive, all characters are cardboard cutouts and plot twists are as predictable as the lyrics of the next Britney Spears song. The man's idea for new characters is the same hero-sidekick pair with new names and outlooks (done twice now) and yet another megalomaniac, psychopathic villain of varying race and gender.

Yet, I keep reading the guy's works. Why? Because I know exactly what I'm getting. He can't disappoint me, because I know in advance every damn time what's going to transpire. And to be honest, you need things in life that are never going to change.

JRJENNINGS86

Clive Cussler and Dirk Pitt novels

I am a huge fan of the Dirk Pitt novles by Clive Cussler. I have enjoyed reading about Dirk's adventures over the years and as always, looking forward to further readings... and movies that follow the stories exactly.

Dose anyone else share the same love or passion for Dirk Pitt adventures? is so i would love to hear all about it!:hat:

my fave Dirk Pitt Adventure(s) is Sahara and Inca Gold (for right now)

kongisking

I dearly love the Pitt adventures, and Sahara (the film that introduced me to the character and his world) was wonderful. It's a damn shame that it didn't become a film franchise. I would have loved to have seen Atlantis Found onscreen.

Captain Craig

kongisking said:
I dearly love the Pitt adventures, and Sahara (the film that introduced me to the character and his world) was wonderful. It's a damn shame that it didn't become a film franchise. I would have loved to have seen Atlantis Found onscreen.
I agree. I may not be a fan of Matthew Mc but found Sahara to be a fun film. Thought it might take over from The Mummy series as one that could fulfill the Indy void but it didn't take off.

JRJENNINGS86

Im a huge fan of the Dirk Pitt novels. I must have read all of them during my deployments overseas. the adventure and sense of history Cussler wrote into his characters is wounderful. even though as said before, the stories do seem to follow similar patterans in each book. Cussler has kept with the adventure traditions of having a Heo, a side kick, a dame in trouble, the villian, the Champaign villian and lots of battles, not to mention a piece of lost history leading to a great treasure.

i have also read alot of Cussler's biography's about the real life NUMA. i think its cool that he started NUMA and searches for lost history.

the movie Sahara was much better than the 80's "Raise the Titanic!" film adaption. that movie was nothing like the book in all honesty. plus Al Geordino was left out of the movie... you gotta have Al come on!

Last edited by a moderator:

Stoo

If any of you Clive Cussler fans are into vintage cars, you must check out the Cussler Museum just outside of Denver, Colorado. It has all sorts of RARE automobiles from the 1900s-1960s in superb condition. Well worth the admission price and highly recommended.

http://www.cusslermuseum.com

P.S. The cover of his new book, "The Kingdom", resembles a scene straight out of Disney's great adventure film, "The Island at the Top of the World".

teampunk

Finn said:
Gotta agree with the quack. Yet, Cussler's one of my guilty pleasures. I confess, I've read all of the man's books, and I'm quite aware of their qualities. They're repetitive, all characters are cardboard cutouts and plot twists are as predictable as the lyrics of the next Britney Spears song. The man's idea for new characters is the same hero-sidekick pair with new names and outlooks (done twice now) and yet another megalomaniac, psychopathic villain of varying race and gender.

Yet, I keep reading the guy's works. Why? Because I know exactly what I'm getting. He can't disappoint me, because I know in advance every damn time what's going to transpire. And to be honest, you need things in life that are never going to change.
so your saying clive cussler is the motorhead or ac/dc of book writers. i can dig it. i've just started reading incan gold and i have to say i really like it. fast paced, adventure, and it doesn't make you think too much. a great summer read. much, much better then the girl with the dragon tattoo. i'm like 220 pages in and nothing has happened. give me a cussler any day.

Finn

Staff member
teampunk said:
so your saying clive cussler is the motorhead or ac/dc of book writers. i can dig it. i've just started reading incan gold and i have to say i really like it. fast paced, adventure, and it doesn't make you think too much. a great summer read. much, much better then the girl with the dragon tattoo. i'm like 220 pages in and nothing has happened. give me a cussler any day.
Uhh... yeah. A Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, a pretty nice, athmospheric classic mystery thriller with great characters and pretty captivating dialogue was quite nice as it was, but only now I realize how much better it would have been with few more explosions, shootouts and car chases.

You know what's good with toast? Peanut butter. So, maybe I should try it the next time I have steak as well, since... everything's just better with peanut butter.