Fate of Atlantis Remake

Katarn07

I misunderstood you. On the whole, people with no knowledge of video games (read Jack Thompson or Hilary Clinton) think of video games as mindless violent media forms. Why do you suppose they think this? Because bestselling games nowadays happen to be FPS or other action games like Grand Theft Auto or something. Back in the early '90s, adventure games were all over the place. You have to look pretty hard nowadays in stores to find any. LEC hasn't really strayed far from action games since Monkey Island 4 and Grim Fandango.

Finn

Staff member
VP said:
That is so wanha.
And yet, it hasn't been seen <i>here</i> before. (But yes, I have.)

Cut down with those wanha comments, brat. If it's been present since your grandma, use it... but that one's been up, what, two months?

chr0n0naut

Fate of Atlantis remake?

I've just finished playing "The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition".

For those of you younger than 22 years of age, The Secret of Monkey Island (SoMI for short) is an old point and click adventure game in the same style as Fate of Atlantis.

They have remade SoMI with entirely new graphics, sound track and voice track (see here)

Should they do the same with FoA? I know that FoA has recently been made available for download from Lucasarts, but I think it would be good fun to see the graphics redone for FoA, like SoMI has been done.

tambourineman

I'd play it if they did. Ive been playing games since long before the original come out, but Ive got to admit, I just downloaded FOA on steam and it is a little hard on the eyes these days.

The Tingler

While I don't think it's going to happen (they've released it twice in the last month!) I too would buy a Special Edition. I think imagining Harrison Ford would ever do the voice for it though is a bit hopeful!

There's still hope that Telltale might get licensed to do it as they're big Indy fans, but if they get any LucasArts one next it'd be Maniac Mansion/Day of the Tentacle.

Professor Jones

The Tingler said:
While I don't think it's going to happen (they've released it twice in the last month!) I too would buy a Special Edition. I think imagining Harrison Ford would ever do the voice for it though is a bit hopeful!

I surely would buy a remake/special edition of FoA... Though I would love they wouldn't change the voices... Since the original ones were good and have became familiar to us, I would keep the classic dubbing (Doug Lee and co.).

I don't think we absolutely need a remake of FoA. Yes the graphic has got quite old, but some sceneries are still astounding.

Anyway I would be glad to have a Special Edition: maybe they could do a little more effort than what they've spent for MI. I mean, since they're gonna make it I would like to have new sprites animation (more frames: in MI the frames are the same that the old game, probably due to the choice of giving the player the chance to switch from the old version mode to the new one).

More than this, I would not appreciate any cartoonization of the characters or the backgrounds as they've done for MI. I can understand it in MI, because that's the way the serie took (starting from Curse of MI) and it's very faithful to the spirit of the saga, but I would not tolerate it in Indy's case... They should mantain the realistic look, in order to keep faithful to the movies.

One thing I would surely revisit in FoA are the music: with a good orchestration (played by real instruments) and some little adjustment (the original soundtrack have got a lot of "unlistenable" moments in my opinion: Clint Bajakian and co. were less "mature composers" than today) the new version could bring a real musical masterwork.

In conclusion, if they would like to give us a FOA Special Edition I would really appreciate it, but they've gotta do a real good job without sparing any effort.

The Tingler

Professor Jones said:
One thing I would surely revisit in FoA are the music: with a good orchestration (played by real instruments) and some little adjustment (the original soundtrack have got a lot of "unlistenable" moments in my opinion: Clint Bajakian and co. were less "mature composers" than today) the new version could bring a real musical masterwork.

YES, thank you, agree with this 100%... well, apart from the suggestion that Clint Bajakian, Michael Land and Peter McConnell were less good composers in the early '90s than they are now. Totally untrue. The MIDI stuff may sound almost unlistenable now, but that's to do with space constraints rather than their skills as composers.

Last edited:

Johnny Nys

There are actually volunteers (Infamous Adventures and AGD Interactive) who have remade old EGA Sierra adventure games into VGA games. They've done it with the first three King's Quest games and the second Quest for Glory. Some of them are currently working on Space Quest 2. There have been several attempts to remake Police Quest 2 as well, but I believe all those project have died.

They're also producing original games, thus the remake work has been kinda pushed to the background even though their forums are swamped with people asking for their particular remake of choice.

From their point of view, though, they wouldn't remake FoA since it's already up to their standards. But who knows, perhaps the MI remake will spark some new inspiration. Of course they need to have the technology to make those changes, and when it comes to volunteer work it might be way too early for that.

I've seen screens of the MI remake and I must say, some changes (making everything more cartoony, like the closeup of faces) just don't sit well with me. I prefer the originals, they're more ... I don't know, artistic perhaps? I do look the addition of voices.

Ironclaw

I'd read that Lucasarts shelved the whole "point-and-click" adventure concept after the disappointing returns on Grim Fandango. Not that it was a bad game by the reviews I've read; it just didn't sell enough. Kind of like Clive Barker's Undying, which is one of the most atmospheric games within the FPS genre, but it had almost no marketing behind it, and thus nobody bought it.

Lambonius

Johnny Nys said:
There are actually volunteers (Infamous Adventures and AGD Interactive) who have remade old EGA Sierra adventure games into VGA games. They've done it with the first three King's Quest games and the second Quest for Glory. Some of them are currently working on Space Quest 2. There have been several attempts to remake Police Quest 2 as well, but I believe all those project have died.

They're also producing original games, thus the remake work has been kinda pushed to the background even though their forums are swamped with people asking for their particular remake of choice.

From their point of view, though, they wouldn't remake FoA since it's already up to their standards. But who knows, perhaps the MI remake will spark some new inspiration. Of course they need to have the technology to make those changes, and when it comes to volunteer work it might be way too early for that.

I've seen screens of the MI remake and I must say, some changes (making everything more cartoony, like the closeup of faces) just don't sit well with me. I prefer the originals, they're more ... I don't know, artistic perhaps? I do look the addition of voices.

I am an artist on the Infamous Adventures production team, and I can state pretty unquivocably that we would see no real need to remake a game that is already as excellent as Fate of Atlantis. That said, we have kicked around the idea of doing remakes in 640x480 instead of 320x200, but the sheer amount of extra work involved in producing all the artwork, as well as the extra frames needed to make good-looking sprite animations in that resolution, just doesn't make it worth it--especially when we all like those old 320x200 VGA games just as they are.

The Tingler

Ironclaw said:
I'd read that Lucasarts shelved the whole "point-and-click" adventure concept after the disappointing returns on Grim Fandango. Not that it was a bad game by the reviews I've read; it just didn't sell enough. Kind of like Clive Barker's Undying, which is one of the most atmospheric games within the FPS genre, but it had almost no marketing behind it, and thus nobody bought it.

Grim Fandango wasn't point-and-click, but if you mean adventure game that was followed by Escape From Monkey Island anyway. Both games did pretty well, but following the departure of LucasArts' president and really cool guy Simon Jeffery the marketing suits temporarily took over LucasArts and argued that the entire country of Germany (the adventure genre's biggest buyers) had just disappeared. I'm not far kidding.

Basically they just wanted more money.

MaverickKing

Do it Tomb Raider: Anniversary style. Make it a remake, but a direct remake. Very little change, outside of the graphics. The dialogue, the characters, the locations, keep them as close to the original as possible. With voice acting from Harrison Ford, and an orchestra updating the original score. Then I'll be happy.

Col. Detritch

I'm not sure how I would feel? I was on board at first but... it wouldn't quite work the same!
Though the thought of Uberman and Kerner looking as good as they did in some artwork is just so tantilising!

But then while they were remaking FoA they could,ve been making a NEW game!:confused:
:hat:

holdeen

I'd surely buy a Secret of Monkey Island kind of remake. also, im curious, how did they paint those backgrounds? i'm almost completely sure that they painted in higher resolution, or painted in a traditional way, and scaled down for the game.

More than anything, I would sincerely love if they started a new series of Indiana Jones "point and click" videogames... new stories, high resolution Myst style pre-rendered graphics (if you know what I mean), maybe even some gameplay innovations, like adding some extra action sequences or interactive cinematics from time to time.

That would be fantastic. I have never really digested the fact that old style adventures had to unfairly fell into oblivion, just because of the advent of 3D technologies.
Some of the best and most successful videogames of all time STILL are to be found among those old fashioned jewels. And there were also a good number of modern "point and click" adventures that managed to get the praise of millions of gamers and critics worldwide.

I mean, this is the freaking proof that adventure games are STILL interesting... but as if this didn't count at all, the 99.9 % of the software houses prefer to work on standard cliché "I've-already-seen-em-all" 3D platforms and shooters... I don't understand... but I'm sad, somehow...