Sideshow's TOHT figure

Billy Ray

Wow, other than the poles, Hasbro's Ark blows Sideshow's out of the water! So glad I passed on the exclusive Toht and just went with the regular version.

phantom train

I got the SS 12" "Toht" a while back, and am extremely impressed with the figure. Great detail, and I like the inclusion of the coat-hanger, alternate melting head, trenchcoat, etc. This figure is truly a fanboy's dream. And, since we never got a Hasbro version of "Toht" (and may never get one, at this point), this figure is doubly cool.

Re: the Ark that came with the exclusive version, I think it looks fine. Of course, I never got the Hasbro 12" Ark, so I have nothing to compare this to.

hemble

Thanks for the pics Jack Panix I was going to get the SS Toht exclusive but after seeing your pics I'm having second thoughts.

Ron

ROB98374

Anyone have the Gentle Giant business card holder Ark also? I have it, and when I look at the Sideshow pictures, it looks similar in color.
I am tempted to get the Sideshow ark, but am still undecided.
Anyone have both so we can have side by side pictures?

DSCF3042.jpg

Jack Panix said:
The SS version has a dull gold finish, so it doesn't have the luster of Hasbro's gilded vac-metal.

from Ask Sideshow:

Your Questions Answered - 11/04/09

I am very excited that Sideshow is producing a 1:1 prop replica of the Fertility Idol from Raiders of the Lost Ark, however I was wondering why you are able to gold plate this polystone statue and were not able to apply the same shiny gold plating to the 1:6 Ark accessory that came with the exclusive Toht figure? Is it safe to brush gold leaf over the existing gold paint on the Ark?

At the target price for the 1:6 scale Ark, we were unable to include the chrome plating. The chrome plating process itself is not that expensive, but the process is far from perfect. Often, a high percentage of the product must be scrapped, which can (and does) dramatically raise cost on polystone items. Had we decided to chrome the Ark included with Toht, it would have pushed the price of the item well above $225, which we felt was an unacceptable ?value? for the set.

For the future 1:4 scale Ark of the Covenant miniature prop replica, we will be applying the chrome finishing work.

ROB98374

ROB98374 said:
Anyone have the Gentle Giant business card holder Ark also? I have it, and when I look at the Sideshow pictures, it looks similar in color.
I am tempted to get the Sideshow ark, but am still undecided.
Anyone have both so we can have side by side pictures?

I can finally answer my own question.
I didn't realize there was such a size difference.
DSCF3255.jpg

Jack Panix

I finally opened opened all six of my Sideshow 12" figures two weeks ago and put them on display. I don't have room to put their exclusive accessories on display with them. I wish there was an Ikea store within reasonable driving distance; I'd love to have a Detolf.

Anyway, I was really impressed with the figures and am seriously considering getting another Toht in the near future in order to display one with that fantastic melted head.

I was also thinking it'd be cool to make a custom miniature copy of that 1938 Life Magazine issue that the figure could peer over while spying on Doktor Jones.

Montana Smith

Jack Panix said:
I finally opened opened all six of my Sideshow 12" figures two weeks ago and put them on display. I don't have room to put their exclusive accessories on display with them. I wish there was an Ikea store within reasonable driving distance; I'd love to have a Detolf.

Anyway, I was really impressed with the figures and am seriously considering getting another Toht in the near future in order to display one with that fantastic melted head.

I was also thinking it'd be cool to make a custom miniature copy of that 1938 Life Magazine issue that the figure could peer over while spying on Doktor Jones.

You have incredible restraint, Jack. If I had 6 Sideshow Indy figures I couldn't wait a few seconds before starting to open them! At the moment I only have the Raiders Indy.

If you get another Toht, there are people over on the Sideshow Freaks board who are switching his clothes with the Dragon In Dreams Becker plainclothes SD figure, as they're apparently better quality, and fit Toht well. The overcoat, however, isn't dark enough for some.

Jack Panix

Montana Smith said:
You have incredible restraint, Jack. If I had 6 Sideshow Indy figures I couldn't wait a few seconds before starting to open them! At the moment I only have the Raiders Indy.
Yeah, I tend to procrastinate opening stuff especially when I don't have adequate display space. Here are my Sideshow figures in one of the Star Wars figure cabinets I built. I had to put the SW figures from this shelf in storage for the time being (Death Star II scenes and the final showdown between Luke, Vader, and the Emperor).

If you get another Toht, there are people over on the Sideshow Freaks board who are switching his clothes with the Dragon In Dreams Becker plainclothes SD figure, as they're apparently better quality, and fit Toht well. The overcoat, however, isn't dark enough for some.
I had never heard of this DiD Becker figure. It looks like it'd be perfect as one of Toht's compatriots. The overcoat almost looks brown to me. I agree, it does need to be a shade darker.

---

Oh, and the LIFE Magazine issue is from November 1936, not 1938. Raiders took place in '36, Last Crusade in '38.

Montana Smith

Jack Panix said:
I had never heard of this DiD Becker figure. It looks like it'd be perfect as one of Toht's compatriots. The overcoat almost looks brown to me. I agree, it does need to be a shade darker.

That Sicherheitsdienst Becker is loaded up with all manner of useful accessories for diorama building. The working umbrella looks like a work of art, and with a different handle could be a good prop for Henry Sr.

Montana Smith

Jack Panix said:

That Sicherheitsdienst Becker is loaded up with all manner of useful accessories for diorama building. The working umbrella looks like a work of art, and with a different handle could be a good prop for Henry Sr.